treadmill v. eliptical

Options
Hey guys,

So I runon the treadmill 4 times a week for 45 minutes a day....Ive noticed that my legs have shaped up pretty well but my arms are still flabby! :(
I was thinking maybe the eliptical would help because there is so much arm movement, but im also concerned that the eliptical wouldnt be as hard of a workout as running.

Thoughts? Advice?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    mix it up...try it...do both...have fun
  • leksandra
    leksandra Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try lifting smaller weights (5lb) to tone up arms. I used to exercise on an elliptical device for 4 years and then started running on a treadmill and been doing it now for 3 years. It was the best change I ever made, I think you can't get the same exercise on an elliptical device.
    The truth is, I am no expert, that's how it was with me and I'm not going back to the elliptical.

Gd.
  • delta90017
    Options
    I agree with leksandar. The treadmill is a better workout. i use the ellptical when i have an injury that prevents running. Nothing going on for arm toning on the elliptical though. Try pushups on stairs for arm toning unless you have access to free weights.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle in your arms, lift weights. The elliptical won't do anything to help that. Heavy weights (as heavy as you can lift with proper form,) low reps.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My legs and calves are getting AWESOME!!! But how do I remove that little pouch of belly fat?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Time. It's genetic when the fat goes. The body burns fat in different areas, and eventually will get to the belly fat.
  • slimgirl19
    Options
    i have an elliptical and it moves your arms to help you burn calories not to build muscules in your arms . i would lift weights that is going to help with your problem area.....
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try skipping!
    It's cheap, it's fun and it is a decent cardio workout!
  • Sammi11710
    Options
    i must have mispoke...i DONT want arm muscle. i want o get rid of arm flab. I want small lean arms...not muscular arms
  • mariamikulich
    Options
    You should add weight training to your regimen, preferably on the days you don't run on the treadmill. If you are a member of a health club, there are personal trainers to get you started. I have some ideas for you if you don't have access to a health club. Let me know.
  • tigerkittyskf
    Options
    When you're on the treadmill, carry 2.5 lb weights. These won't build muscle, but it'll certainly help tone them a bit. Also, try overhead arm claps (standing still, of course) and it's exaclty what it sounds like. Extend your arms straight out from each side of your body and clap over your head for a little while. You'll feel a good burn. I usually do 50, but go for whatever number you think will help.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I agree with tigerkitty - take some light weights on the treadmill with you, bump up the incline and pump your arms! Guaranteed toning, plus the benefits of cardio.

And remember to switch it up every so often :)
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Weight training is a good thing to add to your routine. Helps your body burn more cals among many other benefits. Hands down running outside or on the treadmill has been the best way for me to lose the jiggles--just takes time. I will cross train with the elliptical...it is nice to mix it up sometimes but my workouts are harder with the treadmill.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i must have mispoke...i DONT want arm muscle. i want o get rid of arm flab. I want small lean arms...not muscular arms
    Try as you may, I doubt you are going to get really big muscular arms, lifting light to moderate weights. However, lifting weights will give your arms a leaner (and sexier) look. The only other thing you have to do, to get leaner arms, is to lose the fat this is on them. Your genetics will determine when the fat comes off. First on, last off.
  • julieinomaha
    Options
    I have always had heavier arms and I agree that it seems like it will be the last place you lose it if you have always struggled there. Push ups, and pilates like the plank and other weight training is needed to tone, but you still won't see your work until you continue to lose overall weight. I am 5'5" down to 131 lbs and I still have heavier arms although toned is better than not.

Good Luck to you!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I love the way my arms look now with having done weight lifting! They don't look manly, they look defined in areas they should be defined. Don't buy into bulking up because it's just not true. If you want toned arms your going to have to look into weight training because you can do cardio all day long and you'll still be the same shape just a little smaller.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have both machines and i find they are both great work outs. I like the elliptical because it's less jarring on knees and the arms move, so i find i burn more calories on it.. just because there is more movement. The treadmill has more impact for sure and i still swing my arms a bit when power walking ( as i can't run b/c of bad knees) . I switch it up every other day or i do 25 on one and then 20 on the other every day.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

1. lean is synonymous with visible muscle. The presence of muscle is what makes a body part firm rather than jiggle like a Jello mold. Lift to firm up.
    2. Spot reducing is a myth. There is no magic exercise that quickly burns fat from a particular body part. Fat loss is a comprehensive process.
    3. Genetically most people have a preferred fat store on their body somewhere. It is the first locale to accumulate fat as we gain weight. It is the last we noticeably lose the fat as we drop in weight. It is that body part that just pisses us off and frustrates us. For women it is generally the hips/butt or it is the arms. For me it is the gut. Be patient with it.
  • Sammi11710
    Options
    I have access to my school gym, just no trainer...what are your suggestions??
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options

No such thing. Women are not built to do this. With the exception of one thing, someone who has a higher testosterone than most women. We all seen them, man chins, breadthy women. If this doesn't describe you, then you no need to worry about it.

I bicep 35 lbs. And my arms are just as big as they were when I did 15lbs. Trust me, I doubt your gonna lift 35 lbs and get big. It will be the best way to tone your arms. Outside this, the fat goes when the body decides. There is no spot fat loss.