Dizziness issues?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm eating about 1550 calories a day. I get most of my calories from my veggies. I am thinking the sudden 5 lb drop is water weight. But I have kept it off for 3 days now.

I've just started here as well. I have dropped a few pounds in the first couple of days and I'm sure it's water weight as well. I usually do drop a big number the first week then even out after. I have also had some slight light-headedness. I made sure my next meal had a little more substance to it and it seemed to help.

I also have a history of dizziness associated with inner ear issues. I can tell being light headed from decreasing my calories is completely different from the dizziness I take medication for. My ears tend to feel swollen and my neck a bit stiff in that instance. I take basically what amounts to a decongestant. It helps clear up the fluid in my inner ear.

I think if eating a pinch more helps the dizziness go away I wouldn't be too concerned. It probably is your body reacting to the calorie deficit. If the dizziness is so severe it's disruptive to your life or especially if it's accompanied by any numbness in your hands/finger tips- DO see your doctor ASAP. Those symptoms can be signs of a mini stroke.

Good Luck!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I have heard that dizziness can occur when doing low carb diets. I experienced dizziness because thyroid issues surfaced when I began to lose weight.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 5pounds in 6 days you're probably not eating enough. That's a 3500 calorie deficit a day...

Not if most of the loss is water it isn't

This, I lost 10 pounds my first week, and 6-8 the second, don't stress, its just water.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have dizziness also and I have no idea why. I read somewhere it can be from a low heart rate (mine is around 46-49) but I didn't think that was a bad thing though... I am not sure what to even say to my Dr. if I go. :(
  • slimgirl19
    Options
    i was getting dizzy to but i started taking vitamins and my dizziness has gotten better . if your lacking iron or vitamin B that will make you dizzy :happy:
  • Akhenaten007
    Options
    I have dizziness also and I have no idea why. I read somewhere it can be from a low heart rate (mine is around 46-49) but I didn't think that was a bad thing though... I am not sure what to even say to my Dr. if I go. :(

I thought that too for years. I finally got referred to an ENT who found out exactly why I get dizzy. It's tough though - it's so subjective and difficult to explain. But there are lot of diagnostic tests available.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Please see your Doctor. Don't stress because it's probably nothing and it will pass
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for about 6 days. I have lost 5 lbs already and I haven't really worked out that much. I have followed my calorie requirement, but I am feeling very dizzy. Could this be from drinking too much water or not enough carbs?

I am not sure, I don't think that it is normal though. I would try making adjustments to your amount of carbs and protein. Also, if it continues for another week, then I would consult your physician.
  • dragonsfaerie
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of good advise here. Make sure you don't sacrifice nutrition when cutting back on calories. With me, I had to increase potassium to stop shaking. Good luck.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for about 6 days. I have lost 5 lbs already and I haven't really worked out that much. I have followed my calorie requirement, but I am feeling very dizzy. Could this be from drinking too much water or not enough carbs?

the only time I ever have dizziness and vertigo-like symptoms is when I withdrawal from SNRIs...

Are you on any anti-depressants?
  • Vanessahogan03
    Vanessahogan03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it was low blood sugar from the lack of carbs. I drank a glass of 2% milk and I felt fine all the symptoms went away. So I believe the culprit is low blood sugar.
  • Vanessahogan03
    Vanessahogan03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am on anti-depressants, Prozac.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am on anti-depressants, Prozac.

Oh...well Prozac has a pretty long half-life, so unless you missed 2 or more doses, it probably isn't discontinuation syndrome