is anyone always short in calorie intake?

Options
I never go over my calories and always go to the gym so I end up being negative calories..is this good or bad?? Should I be eating more? Or am I going in the right direction?

Replies

• blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I never go over my calories and always go to the gym so I end up being negative calories..is this good or bad?? Should I be eating more? Or am I going in the right direction?
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question a few weeks back and was told that I needed to eat more. Grab a handful of nuts or a scoop of peanut butter right off the spoon for some quick healthy calories.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I find the same problem - but 14 almonds (1/2 oz) and a piece of fruit or glass of skim milk usually help add some calories
  • jessdove
    jessdove Posts: 2
    Options
    I always am, especially after going to the gym. There was a big debate in one of the forums about it...I'll see if I can find it. I have heard that you need eat your BMR calories PLUS whatever you burn off at the gym. It makes me want to throw up thinking about the amount of food I have to eat!!
  • blondie_girl14
    Options
    But I thought you were suppose to not eat your calories burned? ugh I am confused lol. You cant eat too little, you cant eat too much......etc etc....................................................
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I make sure that I am eating at least the recommended and then if I exercise, I try to eat at least some of those calories. I try to never go below a bottom line of 1200. So if I eat 1600 calories and my workout turns into 600 calories, I will have a 200 calorie snack. This is just what I have been doing for the last few weeks and I have actually noticed a bigger weight loss number than before.

I am no doctor or professional by any means though. hehe I just wanted to let you know what was working for me. :-D
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Here's the very abbreviated version---the goal that MFP sets for you is already at a deficit if you exercise also, it will add the extra calories that you eat or you'd have a huge deficit for the day and probably not enough to fuel your body.

I have experienced the too little calorie scenario and didn't lose for almost a month after great losses consistently for over 6 months. Not everyone eats all their exercise calories but I try real hard to at least have a NET after eating and exercise to be over 1200 but closer to 1350 if I can. I have had to cut back a bit on how much I am exercising because I wasn't eating enough to offset what I was burning--funny how you eat too much you get fat, eat too little your body stores it.....you'll have to find what works for you....be patient!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    How much are you going under make a difference? If you are going under 10 or 20 cals it shouldn't make a difference. But if it is 100 or more on a daily basis it can.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • blondie_girl14
    Options
    After exercising and burning 3-500 calories its a coulple of hundred calories.
    Maybe I will eat a little more when I get home from the gym at night....
    Thanks everyone for your input :heart:
    Keep the opinions coming :smile:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Negative calories? As in you eat 1200 and your calorie burn is 1200+?

Yes that's very bad. :frown:

EDIT:

Oh, if you're under by a small amount, it's not too bad. But try to stay within 50-80 calories of whatever MFP is telling you to eat.

If you know you're gonna burn at least 300 that day, plan to eat at least that much more so you're not scrounging at the end of the day trying to meet your goal.
  • bellydancer72
    Options
    Now I understand what I'm doing wrong. I do good to reach 1000 cal/day because the Phentermine I take makes me feel full and I don't really feel like eating. I excercise too which depletes my calories even further, so now I know to eat at least 1200 cal/day and to eat more if I excercise to cover the depletion.
  • Astrogirl
    Astrogirl Posts: 18
    Options
    lol I have a hard time not going OVER my calories - I'm going into my 3rd week and was under my calories only one day and not by much, I'm usually over by a couple of hundred...but I don't care because I'm still losing weight :laugh: Everyone's different I guess.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    lol I have a hard time not going OVER my calories - I'm going into my 3rd week and was under my calories only one day and not by much, I'm usually over by a couple of hundred...but I don't care because I'm still losing weight :laugh: Everyone's different I guess.

:laugh: i'm like you! honestly i could easily eat 1800-2000 cals every day. granted, not all of it would be high caliber food, but it's never "hard" for me to get my cals.
  • blondie_girl14
    Options
    well for example I am set to eat a 1500 calorie diet, by the end of the day (after dinner) I have not eaten all my calories. Today I went to the gym and burned 450 calories and ended up with 650 calories left! IDK
    :ohwell:
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    But I thought you were suppose to not eat your calories burned? ugh I am confused lol. You cant eat too little, you cant eat too much......etc etc....................................................
    We're all Goldilocks' here trying to find what's just right for each of us. From what I've read, eating all your calories is the way to go but if you get to a plateau then try something different until you find what works.