Bottomless pit ATM

Options
So, tonight I have been a bottomless pit. I blew lunch today thinking I would eat very little for dinner (which usually happens if I work at the luau, which I did). I had some white rice and chicken during break and just had some peanut butter crackers, but I still feel like I could eat another hearty dinner. I'm already over my calorie goal by about 300 cals, and that's not counting the carrots I keep snacking on. It is about that tom for me, which I'm guessing is the reason for it. Any suggestions? This only happens to me about twice a month. I am drinking lots of water, some flavored, but all I want to do is eat a whole bunch of carbs right now.

EDIT: I'm thinking about making some popcorn. I'll go over my calorie limit even more but at least I can eat a lot of it for relatively few calories. Carrots are making me hungrier for some reason :/

Replies

• SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It has been found that it is sometimes helpful to have spike days, so go for it as long as it is only one or two days at the most.
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Don't "beat yourselft up" about it. If this is only twice a month, that is still very good meeting your goal the other 28 days! If I know I have a day coming up where I will go over such as a party or big holiday dinner, I will stay under my calorie goal the other days to to even it out in the day I blow it.
  • arohera
    Options
    I try to compensate by burning the additional calories off. In a similar situation, I ate 600 (Whiskey and Red Meat) extra calories and gained weight that I lost in last 4 days then next day I burnt 1300 calories. I feel better now.
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    Some days, you're just hungry. And some days, life's just too much!

Let yourself have this "time off" - just make sure you record everything. Tomorrow, get yourself right back on plan and don't beat yourself up about it. You can do some extra exercise if you like, but if you're on weight loss rather than maintenance, you'll be operating with a calorie deficit anyway.

xo
  • terriph
    Options
    One of the things I've had to learn is to distinguish between appetite and hunger. If you've really eaten your calorie quota for the day, then that's probably appetite trying to trick you. Take a large glass of water and stay away from the kitchen is my best advice. When I've had my dinner at night, I go and brush my teeth and don't go near the kitchen again until morning. Good luck.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I read the title at the ATM meaning cash machine (not sure what it stands for, but in the UK we call cash machine's ATMs - maybe other countries do as well) - and though, wow, I'd love a bottomless atm machine!
  • Gunff
    Gunff Posts: 47
    Options
    we call it ATM in america too but it also means at the moment.
  • mqtkristi
    Options
    Not to be too personal, but do your "bottomless" days correspond with your cycle? If so, your metabolism is ramped up when you are "PMS'ing" so enjoy the extra calories your body is able to burn and get right back on track ASAP.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It has been found that it is sometimes helpful to have spike days, so go for it as long as it is only one or two days at the most.

^^ I know this sounds nuts but I've found it to be true also.
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is that you're making a choice to not care and just keep eating!! Decide if that's what you really want or if you want to take control and stop it! Also remember that if you have days like that it doesn't kill the diet. Just start again right away. Not the next day...make a choice right then and there and get right back to it!

You should consider reading The Beck Diet Solution. She helps with that.

On a more immediate level...when I would feel like eating and eating I just went to bed. Or out for a walk if it was too early to go to bed..seemed to help a little!

Good luck!
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Have a protein shake. don't eat more carbs.

If you do eat over the calories at least make it something real healthy for you.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Are you tired? If you are it maybe your body trying to get as much energy as it can. Maybe you need a nap.