I need some reassurance

Options
So I KNOW this can't be fat, but I just need a little MFP hug and reassurance. Saturday I had a quarterly for instructors who teach Les Mills formats (Body Pump etc.) I took 5 classes, burned over 2200 calories. I didn't workout yesterday. I did have Thai the day of the quarterly, and a Chipotle salad yesterday, and I know they have lots of sodium...but I hopped on the scale today and since Friday I went from 153.6 to 156.8! That is a pretty massive jump. And after all the sweat and exercise. It is because I'm sore and the sodium from those two foods are stuck? That is the highest I have EVER been since losing the weight two years ago.:sad:

Replies

• GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Could also be water retention in your muscles from oober workout... dont worry, it will be gone soon, drink up your water and all will be fine. ((hugs)) :flowerforyou:
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It may be just muscle that you gained, not fat.... Water weight can also be a barring on your body.. Just give it a couple of days, drink plenty of water to flush the sodium out.. and you should be good to go! :)
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am up 3 lbs, too....and I KNOW for a fact it is sodium. Numerically IMPOSSIBLE to gain 3lbs in that short period of time. I am allowed 2500 in sodium....if I go over 1800, especially 2 days in a row, I will ALWAYS be up about 3 lbs. I am JUSt beginning to not completely spaz out. All I have to do is look back and see what I ate that caused it. Actually, I know before I even eat it. I say "You know this will drive the scale up...be calm!" LOL.....You arent alone. I vote sodium/water retention.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Yes it's the sodium. I am up this morning b/c of my pizza and cake eating this weekend despite my large burn yesterday. Our bodies are super sensitive to everything at this point. You are fit and probably building muscle with all your workouts. It's all about how clean you eat to move the scale. It will go back down just clean it on up.
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As hard as it may be, don't freak out, i am the same way and you are having the type of morning where you want to throw your scale against the wall. Been there. Relax, it is most likely from the sodium, you are just bloated. Drink lots of water today, don't beat yourself up over this. I know its hard, but try to not let this discourage you from doing well this week. Go at it even harder this week, eat healthy and exercise like you have been and don't weigh yourself again until the end of the week! Don't let those numbers bring you down!
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree with all thee above! I hate the scale and have been up 2lbs and cant shake it! I know after intense constant workouts my body holds onto water like a sponge and I feel swollen and totally put on water weight. So HUGS!!!!!!!
  • byrongoldie3
    Options
    Try more protien when you workout your body is looking for fuel so it takes muscle,not fat, you have to tell your body to take fat, try liquid carnitine concentrate it tells your body not to use muscle but fat,follow directions on bottle. Hope it works for you like it is for me.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Try more protien when you workout your body is looking for fuel so it takes muscle,not fat, you have to tell your body to take fat, try liquid carnitine concentrate it tells your body not to use muscle but fat,follow directions on bottle. Hope it works for you like it is for me.

This is very interesting...thanks! Im going to look into this, too!:)
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It could also totally be where you are in your cycle right now. I've seen so many fluctuations related to my TOM - it blows my mind!
  • trlyblssd79
    trlyblssd79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    agree with the replies above. It is just sodium so drink lots of water to flush it out and you will be fine! <hugs>
  • pingting11
    Options
    Also remember that your body takes longer to digest some foods so it was probably still be digested accounting for the weight difference along with the water you're body needs to offset the extra sodium. Really great BURN!!!
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    I learned years ago to not be so sensitve to what my scale says. Instead I am more aware of how I fit my clothes. Water weight messes me up .. or at least it used to. I can tell right away how much I am retaining water by my hands. My ring fits tighter and my hands feel swollen. I know right then, I haven't been drinking enough water.

I have always gotten a kick out of my scale readings when I weigh myself even before and after a shower .. I always weigh at least a pound less AFTER a shower, Does THAT even make sense?
  • fittraier
    Options
    I am usually up after quarterly's. I think it's becuase we work out more than normal, don't eat right all day and it's all screwy. Then eat a bigger meal at night. drink water, stick to your normal. and stop getting on the scale every single day, start doing it every other day. I think you are being uber senstive at stepping on the scale daily and beating yourself up.