The 500+ lb man is still wanting to get on track.

Options
OK, so lately, I haven't been coming on here and logging my food or eating rite at all. Last night was actually a horrible night. I basically let myself get so hungry, I was starving at 8pm. I ended up going to the Chinese buffet restaurant and eating 4 heaping plates. I ate until I was just down rite miserable. That, by the way, is the story of my life for the last 10+ years. Within the last six months I also got a second job that requires me to do some standing sometimes for over an hour at a time. Because of this, my knees have been bothering more frequently. I have decided that no matter how uncomfortable it is going to be, I really need to focus on loosing the weight because I am so tired of always hurting. I am not really one of those sympathy seekers that like to try play on everyone's pity. The truth of the matter is I am fat because I enjoy eating until I am full, and I am extremely lazy. I have NEVER tried to loose any weight, so to sit here and say that I have tried everything in the book to loose weight would be a bold faced lie. I really look forward to the day when I can put this part of my life behind me. I have a very unusual relationship with food. I can, and do generally eat an extremely large amount of food. (sometimes 10,000+ calories a day) I think about food all of the time. I know that I can loose the weight, but for me it's all about staying on track. I have a hard time staying on a 2,000 calorie a day diet for longer than a few days. I know that when I do stay on a 2,000 cal diet, the weight just FLIES off. My problem is that when I fall off, It's extremely hard to get back on. There is only one time that I can remember actually staying on a controlled diet, and that lasted nearly a month. I know a lot of you probably haven't met many people my size, but I am just writing to let you know that we are out here, and we do want to change. :) I look forward to talking to you folks later.

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think with people your weight and with food issues you should consult a doctor and nutritionist for a weight loss program. I don't mean this to be mean or rude but you also have a psychological component going on with the food... you're addicted. I think counseling along with diet and exercise would be better than going at it alone. You have a lot to lose, and you CAN do it, I just think you also will need a LOT of support and guidance in doing so.
  • NCmcMan
    Options
    I think with people your weight and with food issues you should consult a doctor and nutritionist for a weight loss program. I don't mean this to be mean or rude but you also have a psychological component going on with the food... you're addicted. I think counseling along with diet and exercise would be better than going at it alone. You have a lot to lose, and you CAN do it, I just think you also will need a LOT of support and guidance in doing so.

O trust me, your rite. The only thing is, I don't have medical insurance. I have to rely on the support from places like this website and the internet. There has been many documented cases of people loosing weight. I know I have a problem with the food, I just need to figure out the perfect storm for getting rid of the problem :)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options

I agree with this. We're all here for you and will cheer you on, but with the amount of weight you need to lose, a consultation with a doctor would be a good idea. Start with your primary care doctor. They can refer you to a weight loss clinic with dietitians and such. You should also have a full workup--bloodwork, measurements, bp, pulse, etc. You should go back regularly for checkups. There is so much involved with losing that amount of weight, and counseling would be an important component of that, too. Those kinds of food issues can be deep-seated and a counselor can help you work through WHY you eat like that. You also should be monitored by a doctor to make sure you are not losing too quickly. Just don't let them talk you into surgery...you can do this without surgery! Here's proof:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/386976-half-the-man-i-use-to-be-next-stop-300-lbs-lost?error_user_id=10851822&error_username=kmbrooks15&hl=half+the+man&server_addr=10.220.146.108

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to. I'd love to see your progress!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    hey...
    Well done for just coming on here. It sounds like you are trying to fill a void with food that you're not quite ready to deal with. It's amazing when you start asking yourself why, the answers you come up with.
    I have a friend on here called 500lbs2marathon. I urge you to befriend him and read his journey. He's lost half his body weight and is an absolute inspiration to anyone out there of any size to realise they can do this.
    Look under my friends and you should see him. If not just send a request to me.
    I think the above poster is right, you need to seek help as to understand why you're eating till you're full. I used to love food, I used to eat it till I could get no more. It's a common problem.
    You've done the right thing seeking advice and support here though, this site is the best thing that could ever have happened to me. I have friends on here that I will never meet yet they are there for me on every step of my journey and I owe them more than anything.
  • Clare_F
    Options
    Well hopefully by joining here and logging in regularly you can maybe stay on track this time. It;s never going to be easy cutting back in the way you are and not easy going it alone. You are going to need support and motivation. There is a lot of support on here.

Try logging everything you eat for a few days and see if it makes a difference, you can see where the calories are and see the balance of nutrition which is something I never thought about before joining her now I log everything and look at all the figures everyday !
  • CrzyAte
    Options
    I think it is important to understand you are not alone in this battle. Some of us have more to lose than others but we are all fighting for the same thing. To be healthy. You are doing great things for yourself just by coming in here and looking for support.

I wish you all the success. Don't beat yourself up over mistakes just jump back in and keep going...
  • sistersuez
    sistersuez Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    plz add me, we can both use some motoviation.......:o)
  • Diane4499
    Options
    All of the previous posts are great advice....and from what I see on the Biggest Loser...quite true...you do need to seek advice from your physician...and help from a counselor is in order....there is a reason deep inside that makes you eat like this....Maybe even try to get on the Biggest Loser show....that would be an awesome journey....and a great success for you....
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    All of the previous posts are great advice....and from what I see on the Biggest Loser...quite true...you do need to seek advice from your physician...and help from a counselor is in order....there is a reason deep inside that makes you eat like this....Maybe even try to get on the Biggest Loser show....that would be an awesome journey....and a great success for you....

But if you don't make it on the show, then don't expect weight loss numbers like they have every week. They are able to lose that much each week because they are carefully monitored and are working out for HOURS every day (some have criticized the show that it's too fast and very risky for injury). Most of us can't do that in real life, so you should aim for 1-2 pounds per week at home. Realize that if you get serious about it, you'll drop quite a bit initially, then it will slow down (I dropped 10 pounds the first week, then it slowed to an average of about 1-2 pounds per week).

Not trying to discourage you, but I don't want you to get frustrated that you aren't getting their kind of numbers. It's just not realistic for someone doing it at home with a job and home/family responsibilities.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi. Though I am a couple of hundred pounds less than you right now, I share your issues with food. My health is terrible, and I know that losing weight and eating right would improve things so much, yet I still overeat to the point of discomfort. I think about food constantly. You're definitely not alone in your struggle.

If you're coming from eating 10,000 calories, you're going to have a hard time surviving on 2000. I would suggest not cutting your calories so drastically in the beginning. You want to work towards a certain goal -- not start there. Try making positive changes (like no Chinese buffets), and work your way towards your ultimate goal.

Trying to overcome this obsession with and dependence upon food for happiness, joy, pleasure and comfort is the hardest thing in the world. At least you're here and trying! Good luck.
  • taramaureen
    Options

O trust me, your rite. The only thing is, I don't have medical insurance. I have to rely on the support from places like this website and the internet. There has been many documented cases of people loosing weight. I know I have a problem with the food, I just need to figure out the perfect storm for getting rid of the problem :)

Have you tried support groups like overeaters anonymous? You can also try going to a sliding scale clinic that will work with you with your income.
  • taramaureen
    Options

I disagree with this. I actually had a friend who was on the show. They do not lose weight in a healthy manner at all. People on that show basically come out with worse eating disorders than got them on the show to begin with.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others saying you are trying to fll a void with food. Whatever it may be, you need to sort that out first or you're just going to end in the same cycle. Maybe dropping down to such a low daily calorie intake isn't reasonable from where you are now, try just cutting your meals in half. When you make your meals at home, put what you woud normally eat on your plate and then cut it right down the middle and put the rest back. Leftovers=more meals :) Eat more veggies, they fill you up and are low calorie so that will also help. Fill half of your plate with veggies. Oh, maybe try those paper plates that are divided (or you can get regular paper plates an divide them yourself).
    I wish you all the best and remember the weight loss is for you, for you to feel better, live longer and all around be comfortable.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I agree with BrendaLee, you're going to have a rough time limiting yourself to 2000 calories per day. In fact, at your current weight and age, that's a very low and probably unhealthy limit. Your BMR alone is over 3000 calories per day, so that's what your body needs just to maintain its normal functions (breathing, organ functions, etc.). Then if you add your daily activity, even if sedentary it's probably another 600-800 calories per day that your body is using, just to maintain your lifestyle.

So, if you're not doing any extra exercise (which you'll want to start doing at some point) you're probably burning upwards of 3800 calories per day. You really need to eat more than 2000. The maximum healthy deficit I (and this web site) would recommend is 1000 calories, which would put your intake around 2800 per day. If you try to eat only 2000, it won't be sustainable, and that's probably contributing to your falling off the wagon.

Better yet, plug all your numbers into the MyFitnessPal goals, and see what it tells you to eat. It will probably be similar to what I laid out above.

GOOD LUCK!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    OK, so lately, I haven't been coming on here and logging my food or eating rite at all. Last night was actually a horrible night. I basically let myself get so hungry, I was starving at 8pm. I ended up going to the Chinese buffet restaurant and eating 4 heaping plates. I ate until I was just down rite miserable. That, by the way, is the story of my life for the last 10+ years. Within the last six months I also got a second job that requires me to do some standing sometimes for over an hour at a time. Because of this, my knees have been bothering more frequently. I have decided that no matter how uncomfortable it is going to be, I really need to focus on loosing the weight because I am so tired of always hurting. I am not really one of those sympathy seekers that like to try play on everyone's pity. The truth of the matter is I am fat because I enjoy eating until I am full, and I am extremely lazy. I have NEVER tried to loose any weight, so to sit here and say that I have tried everything in the book to loose weight would be a bold faced lie. I really look forward to the day when I can put this part of my life behind me. I have a very unusual relationship with food. I can, and do generally eat an extremely large amount of food. (sometimes 10,000+ calories a day) I think about food all of the time. I know that I can loose the weight, but for me it's all about staying on track. I have a hard time staying on a 2,000 calorie a day diet for longer than a few days. I know that when I do stay on a 2,000 cal diet, the weight just FLIES off. My problem is that when I fall off, It's extremely hard to get back on. There is only one time that I can remember actually staying on a controlled diet, and that lasted nearly a month. I know a lot of you probably haven't met many people my size, but I am just writing to let you know that we are out here, and we do want to change. :) I look forward to talking to you folks later.

I don't buy your lazy. Laziness is a symptom of something deeper. Lack of education on the matter, lack of enthusiasm due to no positive motivation, toxic environments. Let me ask you first, why do you want to lose weight? For some it's wanting to be able to buy clothes at a mall, to not be made to feel self conscious about going to a theater and having to sit in two seats. Maybe it's that you want to do fun things you see your friends or family do like sports, camping, kayaking etc. For me it was that I desperatly desired to be healthy. Weight just was a symptom of that.

I can tell you that for me, I learned about Geography and about "green revolution" it's negative health, environmental and social factors relating to American foods that it became something that spoke against my truth as a human being. That I no longer could ignore what I knew, for what was convenient to be.

When I made that choice, I not only feel better, I have energy to do things like exercise, my attention skills increased, my ability to be funny and witty improved. I was suddenly able to get my depression under control. I fit into an old pair of jeans, and people respected me and gave me anew found sense of courage that I never knew was missing.

It's not about dieting. Counting calories is important, but the way you see food will by far supersede anything else. Making good choices because you don't want to get cancer, diabetes, heart problems, etc. Should be enough for people. But in todays society it's easy to forget.

Don't forget. Take out a list, and write down all the negative things that eating healthy will do for you, then write all the positive. And ask yourself to make a sound business decision.
  • redpaisleyrose
    Options
    Sometimes people feel like they are all alone, and no one understands . I have heard that there are over 6 million people in the United States that weigh more than 600 pounds. I don't remember where I heard that but, if this is true, how many are here? Remember, you can do whatever you want. You have two jobs, you are motivated, just start, like everyone else reading this has. So, it isn't easy, nothing worth having is easy. I know doctors sometimes sound like they don't have the time, but you have to be a hound dog, and seek out the answers that will set you onwards. This site is awesome and it seems there is lots of nutritional information at your fingertips.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think you're probably aware of the easy/common suggestions to your goal or challenge... I have a different approach that's worked wonders for me... It comes from the master-motivator, Mr. Zig Ziglar, who teaches us how to "change our picture", by literally changing the picture you have of yourself to the new you... This can be as simple as taking an old picture of yourself and pasting it to your mirror. This enables you to look at the new you, daily, while telling yourself that, 'that guy is my hero and I will one day soon, look just like him'.

The next step is to change your personal programming... First of all, change your MFP name to the 200Lb man and begin to call yourself this to yourself, to others and in your online communications. The sublimnal programming to yourself will be amazing. In all reality, a "Nutritionist" is going to give you a lot of information that is typically only useful to them... Lots of legumes, whole grains, and blah, blah, blah. I've seen a nutritionist twice, only to gain significant weight each time I tried to follow their cryptic and expensive food program.

What is the secret?
    -- MFP -- if you're committed to using it, daily, you can achieve your new picture of the 200Lb Man... You can lose 2Lbs per week, without batting an eye and without 'killing yourself' through some restrictive diet. To do this, you'll have to get sensible about what you eat... What I mean is eat only things you can track -- e.g. cereal, bread, store-bought foods with lables and bar codes that enable MFP to easily track your calories.
    -- Goal setting -- with 2 lbs a week, you can count on losing 104 Lbs in one year. If you started today, in December of 2012, you'd be the 400Lb man, and so on and so on.
    -- Benefit focusing -- focus on the benefits and not on the challenge/pain/agony of getting to the goal
    -- Accountability -- find people that you trust with holding you accountable. With MFP you can do this almost anonomously by friend requesting people, who can see your daily progress/logging/weight loss/exercise achievements, etc.
    -- Exercise -- find exercising that works for you... Walking could be/would be great... You can start by walking a block a day, two blocks the next week, and so on. Eventually, you'll be able to get to a fast walk, then a slow jog, and eventually much more as the weight comes off of you.
    -- writing it down -- print out this particular goal and place it in an area where you can see it regularly... "I will weigh 400 Lbs by Christmas of 2012. I will eat foods that allow me to honestly track my daily food intake. I will use exercise strategically to combat my hunger pains/urges -- e.g. with 400-600 cals burned walking your two-three blocks, etc., you can add some of these calories to your daily intake.
    -- sensibility -- use the 2 lb per week as your sensible and sober goal. Yeah the tv shows and infomercials that boast of much greater success, much earlier are simply hyperbole that I'd avoid like the plague... In 3 year's you will be an entirely different person with realigned ways of living your life, with honed habits that can / will last you a lifetime.
    I look forward to seeing your success and celebrating 400 next Christmas.
  • rsullivan
    rsullivan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with everyone about the calories. 2000 is way too low for you. This is going to be slow and steady race but you can do it. Take a week and log all your food on MFP and see where you can improve. Do tiny improvements so you dont ovewhelm yourself. Also set tiny goals. One may be to drink 8 glasses of water a day and gradually eliminate pop. Eliminating pop alone is a huge accomplishment. Dont make it impossible for you to stick to this way of life.

Get a iPod (or MP3 player) and put 4-6 songs on it and go for a walk. When the songs are over, turn around and come back. Heck even if its 3 songs, just get your body moving. Have a dog? Make that dog your best friend- take him/her for a walk!

I also agree that there are psychological underlying issues.

We are all here for you!!
  • NCmcMan
    Options

I don't buy your lazy. Laziness is a symptom of something deeper. Lack of education on the matter, lack of enthusiasm due to no positive motivation, toxic environments. Let me ask you first, why do you want to lose weight? For some it's wanting to be able to buy clothes at a mall, to not be made to feel self conscious about going to a theater and having to sit in two seats. Maybe it's that you want to do fun things you see your friends or family do like sports, camping, kayaking etc. For me it was that I desperatly desired to be healthy. Weight just was a symptom of that.

I can tell you that for me, I learned about Geography and about "green revolution" it's negative health, environmental and social factors relating to American foods that it became something that spoke against my truth as a human being. That I no longer could ignore what I knew, for what was convenient to be.

When I made that choice, I not only feel better, I have energy to do things like exercise, my attention skills increased, my ability to be funny and witty improved. I was suddenly able to get my depression under control. I fit into an old pair of jeans, and people respected me and gave me anew found sense of courage that I never knew was missing.

It's not about dieting. Counting calories is important, but the way you see food will by far supersede anything else. Making good choices because you don't want to get cancer, diabetes, heart problems, etc. Should be enough for people. But in todays society it's easy to forget.

Don't forget. Take out a list, and write down all the negative things that eating healthy will do for you, then write all the positive. And ask yourself to make a sound business decision.

Honestly, I want to loose weight for all of those reasons about. I have been deeply depressed for over a decade. Some days are a little bit better than others, but mostly the last 10 years has been very dark for me.
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    500lbs2marathon is also one of my MFP friends. He is very inspirational and I'm sure would share tips for you that would help. Others are right about the emotional/psychological effect food has on you, but if you don't have insurance, it doesn't sound like that's an option. I see a nutritionist every so often and she gave me a book to read - The Beck Diet Solution. It's not a diet; rather, it trains your mind how to stay on a diet. It deals with the emotional side of weight loss. I'd see if you can find it at a library or online.

Being here is definitely a step in the right direction and with tons of support, I'm sure you can stick to a plan. It's tough - I have a hard time every day - but you can definitely do this.