HELP! Healthy snacks to add to the shopping list?

Anyone care to share any easy-to-prepare, healthy snacks with me?
My meals are very balanced, but I have issues with snacking, especially whilst on-the-go..
:(

Replies

• AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    You and me both!

I find that fat free yoghurts and mixed nuts and fruit are great easy snacks. I take a small tub of mixed nuts in my handbag...just in case!

I say this.....however, the biscuit barrel does get opened on occasion, no matter how much I try not to! :wink:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Apples, cherry tomatos, lite jarlsberg cheese slices (only 40cals each) and raw almonds.

(Don't look at the cupcake in yesterday's diary..... I did have a plum and some almonds too!)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Any more ideas? I'm in a food rut.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Apples, cherry tomatos, lite jarlsberg cheese slices (only 40cals each) and raw almonds.

(Don't look at the cupcake in yesterday's diary..... I did have a plum and some almonds too!)

Why must cupcakes taste so good! Darn them !!!!
  • deegeyspazms
    deegeyspazms Posts: 56 Member
    I get something called a 'Graze box' , which may only be available in the UK - I don't know. If not - someone should do something similar where you are. It's brilliant - each week I get a box with 4 compartments - each with a healthy and delicious treat from their wide selection. Calories for each section range from about 100 - 200 & MFP knows them all!
    Ah - I've just googled it and there seems to be a 'Graze box USA'....
    Good luck x
  • I tried making a vege-cupcake once
    It tasted putrid.
    Never again!
  • cherry tomatos and cucumbers are my god right now lol
  • Celery or apples with PB - yumm!
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    hummus in any flavor seems to be really satisfying to me right now.........paired with just one piece of pita bread or some veggies.
  • How about a "Graze Box' AUS?
    I get something called a 'Graze box' , which may only be available in the UK - I don't know. If not - someone should do something similar where you are. It's brilliant - each week I get a box with 4 compartments - each with a healthy and delicious treat from their wide selection. Calories for each section range from about 100 - 200 & MFP knows them all!
    Ah - I've just googled it and there seems to be a 'Graze box USA'....
    Good luck x
  • Robide
    Robide Posts: 101 Member
    Celery or apples with PB - yumm!

Celery with Peanut butter, and then some raisins along it..... Or as my Mum calls it, Ants on a Log.

Yummy!!
  • i am a chips and salsa freak so i began making my own healthier version. I cut corn tortillas, coat them with a layer of PAM spray, season howeven i like and then broil in the oven for 4-5mins (until crispy.) YOu get a ful lbelly for aprx 160 calories. The fun part is you can season them anyway you'd like. i usually mix and match so that each chip is different, it keeps me on my toes and makes me actually taste what im eating: paprike, lemon juice, parmesan, just plain olde salt, cayanne peeper, you name it. But my favorite is using premixed spices from Penzy's such as Arizona Dreaming and Adobo. If you crave crunch, you'll like these!! and you get have fun with the seasoning.

and dont forget most salsa is reletivly low cal. Or quickly whip u some of your own!!

enjoiiiii
    Bridget
  • incfighters
    incfighters Posts: 18 Member
    dried apples are really easy to carry around, filling (about 10 rings per serving), and satisfy that sweet snack craving. they're not to die for, so it's easy to proportion. i also love carrying around nuts and 90 calorie fiber bars. to have around the house, i eat carrots w/ hummus and applesauce (and fruit of course).
    o, and another thing i like to do is cut and core an apple and place it in a little dish w/ 1 tbs of water. i put a lid on top to cover but let it vent. then, i microwave it for 5 minutes. after its heated, add some cinnamon on top and it is just warm, soft, and delicious!
  • I used to graze like a cow chewing the cud all day long....

Based on a working day of 9-5pm

I find that drink a litre of water in the morning and another litre during the afternoon suppresses my urges to snack between meals like I used to.

I also added to my daily meal plan a mid morning and mid afternoon meal/snack. I find it easier to be disciplined this way.

This works well for me and I hope you sift through all the advice and find what works well for you. Good luck
  • LOVE the apple and cinnamon idea! I will have to try that!
    Thanks
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    The snacks I usually bring to work are: bananas, popcorn, Greek yogurt, Triscuit thins w/ Laughing Cow cheese.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Fresh fruit and vegetables -- one of my favorites are cherry tomatoes (organic tastes the best) but this isn't the best season for them. I also have recently started loving dry roasted edamame (again, organic section). They do a wasabi version if you're into spicy food!
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 675 Member
    Special K has some good snacks too. I also do greek yogurts, hummus on pita.