C25k- does speed matter?

Options
2»

Replies

• afigueroa_pr
    Options
    I do my walks at 3.5 mph for warmups and for the actual running parts I do between 6.0-6.7 mph. I believe it is between 9-10 minutes per mile. Today I actually started week 7 and it is all continuous runs from now on, no rest periods in between. Looking forward to it!
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm planning on starting C25K at the New Year! Just remember that one man's jog is another man's run. Listen to your body, and if you feel that the speed your running pushes you yet is safe enough that you won't hurt yourself, then I say you're good to go. Be careful not to push yourself too much though - I have the tendency to do that and then end up with shin splints.
  • mrstyson03
    mrstyson03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hope speed doesnt matter. I just started and I am only jogging at 3.6. Thats the fastest I can go and get through it.

Same here. I walk at around 3.3 and run at 3.5, and barely making it. I'm on Week 3 and seeing great results though. I'm working on stamina and endurance for now. Increasing my speed will come later.
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When I started C25K, my "times" were slower than if I just walked. I was frustrated by that but then once I got my mind right (by realizing that I spent much of the previous years sitting on my *kitten*, so slow was better than nothing), and not worrying about my speed I did much better.
    As I am a bit obsessive, I actually did C25K again from the beginning with the goal the second time of being faster. Of course the first few weeks it was easy to improve my speed. By the end of my second cycle I was faster, not by a lot, but faster.
    Then I told myself "the biggest accomplishment should be finishing the program and being able to complete a 5K, then you can set a goal each time of finishing faster."
    Keep at it!
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think you are better off starting slow. You can work on speed later. I walk at 3mph and run at 4.5 mph (im only 5' though) right now because in the past I was running too fast and it never worked out in the end bc of my asthma and knee problems. I am trying to go slower this time so I can avoid the knee issues and overcome my asthma first. Once I get to the 5k distance of running then I will slowly increase my speed to therefore be running further in the same amount of time.
  • meganmorsey
    Options
    Just take it at your own speed and don't worry about how fast you are going. I am running consistently at 5.0mph. I did my first 5k on Thanksgiving in 36:54. Yesterday, I did my first 8k in 57:54!!! I was so thrilled to finish 5 miles in under an hour since that is a little faster than my usual 5.0 pace.

I am training for a half and honestly I'm not worried about my speed. If I get faster, great. If I don't, I'm still faster than the people sitting on the couch! I run because it feels good. I'm still feeling great after my race yesterday!
  • rosieratbag
    rosieratbag Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say that distance is more important initially. I'm at about 26 minutes (did C25K for about 8 weeks and got to W6) but doing my own steady increases now. I run at about 5.5mph still and can keep going longer than if I try to go faster.

My plan is to get up to being able to do 5K (even though it will probably take me about 37 minutes to start) and then try and speed up a little.

I had NEVER runn before 3 months ago.

Also, to be honest, I'm not really concerned over speed, just about enjoying!

Good Luck
  • susanmax
    Options
    What is C25k?? I have seen this a few times on here and I am just wonder?
  • lsunderl
    Options
    I always set my first goal for a new distance at "to complete". As long as I can go at a speed where I can finish the distance... then I've done it. Then, once you've logged that you can start increasing your speed/distance/etc.