Bally's is now LA Fitness good or bad change?

Options
So my gym which was Bally's is changing to LA Fitness this week. I'm hoping that the new place will bring in a new motivation for working out. Sometimes that's all it takes is a new gadget,new songs on your ipod, someone noticing you progress. Just wondering if I'll love it or hate the change.

Replies

• Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of LA Fitness since 2006...I've always really liked the gym. All of the members are tasteful and friendly. I've never had to lock up any of my personal possessions, the weights are extensive and waiting around is never an issue. It's like the country club of gyms, perfect for guys like me who don't enjoy the overbearing meatheadedness of Golds.

Prior to joining LA I was a member at Planet Fitness. PF was nice for the price, but it was continually crowded, and their hypocritical mission statement was just obnoxious when they actually started to enforce it. (Lunk alarm? Removed free weights? Judgement free zone? Are you ****ting me?)
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to LA Fitness for a few months now and LOVE it. BUT, I never leave my things around and ALWAYS lock them up,
    :laugh:

12117749.png
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    i went there for a while and the daycare was awesome for my son, and all the equipment was great but i joined a smaller local gym in the area thats just 10 a month and now i go during the day when my sons in normal daycare .. i am reconsidering joining again though when my year at this local place is up!!
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    so true different music, different work out gear , different atmosphere, can change ur out look on working out!
  • mhig011975
    Options
    Never been to LA Fitness, but I hear good things about them.
  • MoMoves
    Options
    For BF's husband that has been a personal trainer with Bally's for ages, it's not such a nice change! He and his fellow employees found out via the newspaper of the change. Lovely Christmas gift Bally's has given them. LA Fitness will not guarantee them a job....not to mention they pay less and don't provide benefits. Both companies get a failing grade from me. :-(
  • momocurti
    momocurti Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was a member of Bally's when I lived back east several years ago. I now belong to LA Fitness and it is worlds better. Could be that it's a newer facility, and that it's in a nicer part of town (my Bally's was on Broadway in NYC -- had some less than desirables hanging out there). But on the whole LA Fitness has been way better!

Good luck with the change - hope it works out in your favor (pardon the pun).
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    BAD... my LA Fitness was over crowded on Friday... all you Bally people taking over, there was also a lot of people that were just playing games on equipment and in the pool... which normally it's quiet and people are actually working out!
  • catken123
    catken123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went to Bally's now LA Fitness yesterday and it was overcrowded. There were a couple kids in the pool! The lap pool! Also, my class instructors seem very nervous, like their job is on the line. I hope the transition gets better. I have been a Bally member for years and really like all the classes. Does LA fitness allow kids?
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've never been a member of either, but hopefully it will carry over the better features. Hopefully there won't be any attrition of the staff.
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I went to Bally's now LA Fitness yesterday and it was overcrowded. There were a couple kids in the pool! The lap pool! Also, my class instructors seem very nervous, like their job is on the line. I hope the transition gets better. I have been a Bally member for years and really like all the classes. Does LA fitness allow kids?

No kids under (16?) at my LA Fitness, except in the daycare. It does get crowded, especially at the beginning of the year when everyone is motivated with thier New Years resolutions. Also gets very crowded right after work on weekdays.
  • kimberstastic
    Options
    Wow, LA fitness is dominating if they've taken over Bally's as well. They bought out a locally owned gym here (Pure Fitness) not too long ago. Crazy.
  • JPsFunkyMojo
    Options
    I have only been to 1 gym, and that is LA. I have been a member for going on 2 years now and I haven't had a single complaint about them since. (Other than the stupid teenagers who gaggle around the 1 machine that everyone needs, but that's to be expected at every gym). What I love most about going there is that you see the same people everyday, and they don't judge you on your size (which is a huge plus in my book) and there has been times where some regulars have come to help me with a machine I was struggling with.
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of both and I think the atmosphere at LA Fitness is way better. If you go during high traffic times, it can get busy, though. I LOVED the classes at LA Fitness (Bally''s classes were good, too.) I'm at a smaller gym now cos I moved and I really miss the LA Fitness classes.

I'm sure that once the transition period (and new year's resolution folks) is over, it will settle down to normal. Probably more Ballys people coming to check it all out, but the novelty will wear off for most of them. :)
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love LA Fitness, great gym..lots of equipment. I never really have to wait too long for anything plus the staff is awesome. They're friendly and make it a point to say hi and see how you're doing. I hated going to gym before I joined LA Fitness, now I go all the time.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    I have been a member of LA Fit on off for 2 decades+.
    Positives: it is a decent 'middle of the bell curve' gym; failry clean, a decent clientel, and the equipment is usually in good repair.

Down side: Over the years it has become extremely corporate. Current prices a little high for what one gets in return. Customer service is not a high priority for this company and they would try to sell you your mothers soul in a jar if the could. The equipment is very basic. LA Fit boughgt a local chain in AZ (Pure Fitness) a few months back and proceeded to close them all down, then closed down a few LA locations and the remianing locations have shorter hours of operations. Thus, it is often crowded at my location...usually a line for the better equipment. I encourage any friend who asks about LA to explore other options.

I'll be looking for another option when the New Years deals come around in a few weeks.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Actually..the acquisition happened last week as of December 1st....

Its generally not good if you have an old, cheap membership...LAF appears to be picking and choosing what they're willing to honor at this point (based on reports of what many other people have been told), so a lot of long-time members are getting pushed out and probably won't join LAF after that anyways.

Re: the employees, I've heard they pay their people less than Bally's as well. The trainers at my gym said they'll be making less per session.

Hard to tell for me...I've got a super-cheap membership, but am undecided. I'm shopping around for New Years deals to hopefully find something good. I'm not anxious to sign up with LA Fitness as the only option.
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm a Bally's member whose gym is now LA Fitness. My biggest concern is what will happen once my current "renewal" comes due. I was only paying $90/year but heard some unconfirmed rumors that my membership may change upon my renewal date. I would hate to see that happen. I like my gym more because of the 'equipment', it is one of the few in my area with an indoor track and a swimming pool.
    Shopping a gym membership is a pain, I wish gyms would just put their prices on the website. Although I'm sure the membership consultation is a good thing for a lot of people, I would prefer to just see the price and then decide if I would like a tour.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Member of LA Fitness since 2003. Have always found it to be friendly and comfortable. Great hours too. Like everything about it actually. Except... would prefer more highly experienced trainers in the personal training department in my particular LA Fitness :)
  • trianaw
    trianaw Posts: 177
    Options
    I was a member of Bally's from 1992 to 2007 and LA Fitness from 1998 to 2009. I still get the $99/year offers from Ballys. LA Fitness sends out the "We Want You Back" emails offering $29.99/mo. When I was a member it was $29/mo and I've heard others say they paid a lot more. I've always had access to all locations. I've had 24 Hr Fitness off and on for many years as well. The last 4 years I've paid less than $20 and they have decided to convert all the nice locations to Super Sport and change the dues. Overall I prefer the high-end gyms. They are EXPENSIVE. But if you're serious and you go daily then the dollars balance out.