How/when do you log your meals?

Options
I started out logging what I eat as I eat it, but then I found that I was running out of calories well before dinner and I ate poorly. So I've decided to plan my meals ahead of time and put them in my diary in the morning and only eat what I put in. Does anyone else do this? Is it effective?

Replies

• ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    For me this is the only way to go, i like to know exactly how much i can eat extra when the unplanned tray of goodies goes by at work...lol

Or if i can have wine with dinner.

This is also why i work out in the morning, for me it makes staying on track much easier.
  • Nelly_J
    Options
    Prelogging is the best way to go! It always keep me in check so that I don't eat up most of my calories before lunch.
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i prelog as well
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    pre-log everything the night before when packing my lunch/snack's
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I log days in advance, and then make adjustments as needed
  • saugonda1
    saugonda1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i log in the mornings
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I pre-log as well
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    I currently log as I eat. I have the app so I find that easy. But I think starting out it would have helped to prelogged, it took me awhile to get use to what foods I could eat in a day without be under or being over.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    i log as go it makes it easier to rember potion size and what I ate I like to weight some stuff on the food scale and would forget if didnt log it in right then and there
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I log in my dinner calories for the day first. then I see how many calories I have to eat for the day.
  • jshish8
    jshish8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    log the next day for what I know I'll eat. My breakfast, 10am snack, lunch, 2pm snack and post-workout beverage are the similar every day. It gives me the freedom to plan my dinner based on macronutrients I am high/low on.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have done that in the past so I know what is ahead of me for the day and I stay on track :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Either as soon as I eat them or as soon as I fix them and as I'm sitting down at my computer with the plate.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    If I have pre-set my menu for the day I just log it all in and adjust if necessary. It's easier that way.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I used to pre-log for the day, but after going strict paleo last week I found I could eat until I was satisfied, and then log, and I will usually be under my calorie goal for that meal and have to add more items! By not eating grains, dairy, legumes, or sugar I feel like I'm eating tons of satisfying food and still being way under my calorie goal. I do weigh my food as I prepare it, so that I can log it after I eat. Also I have a pretty good feel now for how much my portions should be of the highest calorie items (meats, nuts) so that also contributes to not having to pre-log.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    i log in the mornings

ditto
  • jshish8
    jshish8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    any way to have it auto log certain meals?! now there is an idea.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I don't plan what I eat. BUT I avoid eating badly because I don't let bad food come into the house. I don't have cravings for that stuff anymore (after eating right the whole entire year, my cravings are now for healthy good for you foods - or i know how to make healthy alternatives to the 'bad foods')..... I only bring stuff in the house that I feel comfortable eating and I know is good for me, and won't ruin my diet. My boyfriend is another story.... I don't eat some of the stuff he eats (i.e. cheerios and stuff) but It's because I don't want it.....
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my meals in the morning... always, so I can avoid over-eating. It works great for me :drinker:
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my meals before I eat