Jawbone UP... Should it stay or should it go??

Options
2»

Replies

• upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    what in the world is this?

It's a tracking device here's a link to the website:

http://jawbone.com/up
  • upinthecosmos
    Options
    Seems like another gadget to get your $100 but thats just me. Personally there are 100's of apps that do much of this and looking at your success thus far, what are you hoping the added benefit to be? Everything is a guestimate, nothing 100% accurate and whatever you do, you just have to be consistent and committed, not sure this gadget will imporve your results. Is that what you are hoping it will do??

Just curious....

I'm just a gadget junkie and like to see the visuals so I was hoping to get more of a visual on what my days consist of then I can get from my Polar HRM... which just provides me with numbers:-)
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Return it and buy a quality HRM for a similar price. The only thing this really is is a glorified alarm clock and motion sensor after reading how it tracks stuff. With MFP and an HRM, you can do the same things without any problems. There is also a chest strap for iPhone if you want something that works with your phone. I prefer Polar just because it is tried and true with science. :)

An HRM doesn't work for all people. For example, those on certain drugs. Moreover, as another poster said, it's all a guesstimate. Your heart rate is just a guess as to how many calories you burn. What really matters is just doing it. Exercising the best way you can and watching your diet. These gadgets are designed to get money out of people's wallets.

True, but if you're going to get a gadget, you might as well get one that is going to give you as close of a guess as possible, that is IF you feel OCD enough that you need to have some kind of number to work with. Since a person is going to buy the UP for the reasons of estimating calories burned, or even a BodyMedia, they can get a quality HRM with a chest strap (such as a Polar FT4) for a similar (or in the BodyMedia's case, lower) price. They also won't have to pay for a subscription as they would with the BodyMedia.

Again, some people are happy with MFP's estimates. Some people buy devices so that they can have a more comfortable estimate. If you're going to spend the money, might as well spend it on a more tried and true product. And if they are on medication that an HRM won't work, they would probably be under a doctor's supervision anyway because those types of medications would most likely require that. (Not a health care professional, so not stating that as gospel, but I don't know anyone who is prescribed a medication without doctor supervision.)
  • upinthecosmos
    Options
    I'm wearing mine know... I LOVE IT!!! My son bought it for my Christmas present but wasn't sure if I'd like it. It doesn't hold the battery for 10 days like it said it would, after 4 days I needed to charge it but I love finding out how many steps I take in a day. I also always wondered after a good nights sleep why I still felt exhausted, well thanks to UP I found out I only sleep deeply for about 2-3 hours per night and I toss and turn for a hour. It's really neat, it's worth $99 to me.

Cool, I'm very interested to see the sleep information for me cause I don't really ever get a full night's rest (as recommended) so I'm curious to see how many hours of deep sleep I do get for the hours I am sleeping:-)
  • upinthecosmos
    Options
    I got it and it's neat but they need to add a lot of stuff. I've had mine for 3 weeks and it stopped working, waiting for a replacement. It doesn't track calories, and if I do strength training for 45 min it will say I only burned 80 calories which I know isn't true. I'd wait until they add more features, if you can take it back, I would.

I am bummed about the calorie thing but I do that here so I think I'd be ok about that part of things missing.
  • upinthecosmos
    Options
    How do you do that? It didn't really come with "instructions" and the website didn't offer much more.
    you can use the GPS portion of it to track your arm movements.

Yes, do share!
  • upinthecosmos
    Options
    I investigated a number of similar items and was on the verge of buying one. But, I decided to buy a Caltrac. They're far cheaper and, in my opinion, just as good if not better. But, it all depends on what you want. It doesn't log such things as weight lifting but the Caltrac does. I sort of think it's probably not worth it but it's your money and your decision.

haven't heard of that, I'll have to check into it!
  • upinthecosmos
    Options
    Return it and buy a quality HRM for a similar price. The only thing this really is is a glorified alarm clock and motion sensor after reading how it tracks stuff. With MFP and an HRM, you can do the same things without any problems. There is also a chest strap for iPhone if you want something that works with your phone. I prefer Polar just because it is tried and true with science. :)

I do have a Polar FT7 HRM & like it but I'd like to see more of the sleeping information & such also. When I originally read about it I thought it would be doing the same thing that I already get from the HRM but it seems like there is more to it and there is more visual feedback which I really like.
  • upinthecosmos
    Options
    i use a bodymedia fit (bodybugg) instead of the UP and love it. yes, it costs a little more, but it has more features. however, its larger than the up

I have thought about that gadget also! The price kind of made me forget it but I am rethinking that:-)
  • upinthecosmos
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I got mine with a gift certificate so maybe I'll exchange it & try it out to see how I like it. Sounds like it's all a matter of opinion & likes. I'm not looking for perfection in numbers or complete accurracy but I do have an HRM that I wear so I'd expect it to be close to that in it's calculations & I'll be watching for that. If I don't like it then I'll return it, I mainly just think it would be fun to see some of the info it can provide.... completely accurrate or not:-)
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I totally thought this was going to be about bluetooth....:laugh:

me too!
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    It was thoughtful of your son to get it and I know that makes it special. But really, a cheap pedometer will tell you how many steps you take. And if you're like me, you know you don't sleep well or enough. And what can you do about it anyway? I mean, the UP won't help you get a good night's sleep.

I was reading through these replys because I didn't know what an UP was....HOWEVER, I do know alot about not sleeping well or enough. I was extremely tired and was certain that if I could get a good nights sleep for a week that I would be fine. Mentioned it at an annual physical....of course the first reaction of my Doc was "pop a happy pill you must be depressed!" I refused the pills because I know IF I was depressed it was because I was exhausted...I wasn't exhausted because I was depressed...Long Story short...he scheduled a sleep study which I thought was insane! Discovered that I stopped breathing somewhere near 100 times in 4 1/2 hours of sleeping and it took me nearly 2 of those hours to finally get to deep REM sleep because my body kept trying to wake me up to breath....So a C-Pap (Continous Positive Airflow Pump) and 5 years of sleep WITH oxygen...I feel like a new woman! Please consider being checked.....sleep apnea can be a pre-cursor of heart attacks! Oh and even though the "average typical sleep apnea sufferer" is a middle-age, overweight male....I was diagnosed a month before my 38th b-day...weighed 138 lbs..and I'm a girl :smile:
  • kit548emt
    Options
    FitBit is another neat one, it's similar to Up but seems to offer more features.

http://www.fitbit.com/product?gclid=CK_2n-qH7qwCFUhgTAod0UAq5g
  • upinthecosmos
    Options
    FitBit is another neat one, it's similar to Up but seems to offer more features.

http://www.fitbit.com/product?gclid=CK_2n-qH7qwCFUhgTAod0UAq5g

I've been checking that one out also, thanks:-)
  • upinthecosmos
    Options
    Ok, went to Best Buy last night to return my UP for a different size & decided that if they didn't have a bigger size then that was fate telling me I didn't need it... LOL! Turns out they didn't have a bigger size so I just returned it and decided I'm over my gadget need for now.... although, a friend has the bodybugg that she is no longer using & I may get that from her to give it a go. That's free & I just have to pay for the online membership if I want to use it so we'll see:-)