breakfast cereal

Options
HI
Just wondering what cereal is best to have and tasty.
I have been having Special K but have found that i go over my protien for the day.

What are people thoughts and opinion on the best cereal.

Cheere :smile:

Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about going over protein. I normally don't eat cereal for breakfast, but when I do I get Frosted Shredded Wheats...mainly for the fiber. Or have oatmeal...I used to HATE HATE HATE oatmeal but now I don't mind it much...Also gives fiber. :)
  • Nishad530
    Options
    I too love special K, but I realized that the suggested serving size is not filling and yes it can put you over your protein count for the day. Try the oatmeal has lower calories. I now tolerate oatmeal by mixing it with applesauce/ cinnamon applesauce it gives it more flavor and cuts down on the calories.
  • stephanie_salvi
    Options
    I agree with the others. Oatmeal.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    multi grain cheerios!! i've recently fallen in love with them! they are low calorie and super tasty :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    multi grain cheerios!! i've recently fallen in love with them! they are low calorie and super tasty :)

me too! so yummy :D
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I find that special k does not fill you up at all, a lot like other cereals. I think it has quite a bit of sugar in it. I make my own muesli with wholegrain oats, honey , nuts and dried fruit.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Nom nom nom KASHI GOLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    not crunch, the regular kind.
    It's DELICIOUS, it has 13g of protein and 10g of fiber per cup. One cup is 140 calories.
    I mean, it doesn't taste like lucky charms, but it's lightly sweetened, and with some fruit in it it's just perfection. Nice and EXTREMELY FILLING. It is one of my favorite things to eat!
  • rochey1098
    Options
    I have been having Special K but have found that i go over my protien for the day.

Unless you've adjusted MFP's protein requirements to meet specific needs then this probably isn't an issue. MFP sets your recommendation for protein quite low by default.
  • kiwianjel
    kiwianjel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Weekdays I have oatbran weetbix or more recently bran flakes and at the weekend honey oat cheerios ... i love my cereal :)
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    Kashi Golden Goodness is my favorite! A serving size is actually 1 1/4 cups, rather then the 3/4 cup most cereals list.
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I tend to like the Special K I eat alot of it. The "Chocolate Delight" and the "Fruit & Yogurt".

I just eat one for breakfast and dinner or a snack in between. It's not very high on the calories even with the milk.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    unless you have a medical issue (like, for example, kidney failure) I would not worry about going over on your protein - I love special K but find the serving size not to be filling I prefer
    oatmeal, cheerios (the American yellow box with less than 1 gm of sugar per serving, I can only find them here in Belgium at the specialty stores, the Belgian varieties oddly all have more sugar), rice crispies, shredded wheat (though higher in sugar); puffed rice, puffed wheat, corn flakes

I also love muesli but most of it is very high in fat, you really have to check the labels- a bit of fat from nuts is ok, but so many have processed hydrogenated additions- and those seem to be the yummiest varieties for some reasep, :laugh:

I have not found Kashi here in Belgium either in the regular shops or in the specialty shops (British supermarket, American store) but if you have access to Kashi you may want to try some of their options, many are really yummy and most are very healthy

good luck
  • chloizzle
    Options
    I love Sultana Bran. Mainly for all its fibre, haha.
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Kashi GoLean Crunch, or Chocolate Cheerios.

without milk, I like eating oatmeal squares. they have a hint of brown sugar which tastes amazing :)
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    On weekday mornings I usually have alpen original or oatmeal. Both are very filling and delicious. In the past I use to have special k, cheerios, corn flakes etc but they were not filling enough for me.
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Kashi go lean cereals. Very high in fiber and protein. Most of us don't get enough of either. I don't worry about the protein unless you have certain health problems. That with a banana and skim milk will hold me most of the day. The only problem I have is due to the high fiber I have a lot of gas!:drinker: :ohwell:
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    Nom nom nom KASHI GOLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    not crunch, the regular kind.
    It's DELICIOUS, it has 13g of protein and 10g of fiber per cup. One cup is 140 calories.
    I mean, it doesn't taste like lucky charms, but it's lightly sweetened, and with some fruit in it it's just perfection. Nice and EXTREMELY FILLING. It is one of my favorite things to eat!

AGREE! I mix my GOLEAN with a 1/2 cup of Vanilla Greek Yogurt and 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries! High in Protein/fiber and very very filling! and TASTY!
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I"ve currently been on a cream of wheat/oat bran/hot cereal bender for my breakfasts. With the weather quickly cooling down here it's been nice to wake up and have something hot and quick in the mornings. I usually mix cocoa powder with any of the above and you've got yourself a warm, delicious bowl of chocolatey goodness :-).
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I"ve currently been on a cream of wheat/oat bran/hot cereal bender for my breakfasts. With the weather quickly cooling down here it's been nice to wake up and have something hot and quick in the mornings. I usually mix cocoa powder with any of the above and you've got yourself a warm, delicious bowl of chocolatey goodness :-)....full of protein and fiber, might I add :-)
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Oat So Simple!!!!!!!!! Yummy!!!!

Sue :smile: x