Any shift workers out there?

Options
hello
I'm new to this and i need some support, specially because I don't work the "normal" 9-5 hrs like most people out there. My work schedule requires me to work 12hr shifts and switch from days to nights every 2 weeks. I wonder if there are any other people on this site that work similar schedules and deal with similar issues (no sleep, etc...) and we could motivate each other and help each other out.

Replies

• meouch
    meouch Posts: 18
    Options
    Hey!

I work Sun-Wed nights 11pm-9am every week. It's hard really hard working nights because on my days off I switch back to sleeping at night so my eating and calorie counting gets all kinds of crazy.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    i'm a midnight to 8Am worker
  • chcwgrl
    chcwgrl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work 5am - 5pm or 5pm to 5am. it's on my 4 days off in-between where I usually fall off the wagon. Very often I sleep all day and skip meals. i not sure how to tackle this whole thing.
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I work Sunday - Tuesday and every other Wednesday from 6 PM to 6 AM. I also switch back to sleeping at night on my days off so I often go on very little sleep.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    my work is all over the place as well, i keep it simple by starting my day when i wake up
  • eyoungone05
    Options
    I work mostly 3pm-11pm and sometimes 3am-11am SUX
  • meouch
    meouch Posts: 18
    Options
    I've found that I do really well counting calories on the days I work, it's just my days off that go crazy. I seem to catch up on sleep on the first day and then eat like crazy the next few days because my husband is a terrible eater. I know, no excuses haha.
  • Saisha23
    Saisha23 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour night shifts 7p-7a. 3 days one week 2 the next and have small children so on my days "off" I am up at 7 am. So I understand the challenges of switching back and forth and how it can cause havoc on your body! I have had my own challenges with it. Especially on my days off where I am starving at 10 pm even though I have eaten all day. It is so hard for your metabolism to figure it out. I have had success in counting my calories from Midnight to midnight. That seems to help me keep track. My first meal of the day is always counted under breakfast. Even if it is my lunch break at 1 am. Good luck on your journey :) And welcome!
  • jcmorrison25
    jcmorrison25 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also work shift work, 11pm-7am Monday thru Friday.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am a housewife but I am always up during my husbands work hours though the evening and night hours, I treat it like im awake during the day its just dark out lol
  • RobynBeaulieu
    Options
    Hey I am also new to this site and work 12 hr shifts. The best thing to do is plan ahead for meals!
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    2300 to 0700 Sunday to Thursday myself.
  • Scandy77
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. Working graveyard or late swing for over 7 years. I work rotating 4on/4off 9pm to 7am. I hate. It makes it hard to lose weight cause you so all over the place. Glad to see there are a few of is out there. ;-)
  • chcwgrl
    Options
    I try cooking light meals for lunches that I take to work and snacks like apples and yogurts But then come the 4 days off, with I love, but then I start eating bad, or in other words whatever comes my way. My husband and I got out or order in quite a bit. And then there are the nights in the hot tub where the "meal of the day" is beer. We both work the same shift in the same company, not sure if that makes it easier or harder....
  • chcwgrl
    Options
    That does sound exactly like me.
  • chcwgrl
    Options
    I've found that I do really well counting calories on the days I work, it's just my days off that go crazy. I seem to catch up on sleep on the first day and then eat like crazy the next few days because my husband is a terrible eater. I know, no excuses haha.

That's exactly like me. Sleep all the day the first day and eat all the day the next and then do whatever piled up the next 2 days and then back to work.. :-)
  • jcmorrison25
    jcmorrison25 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How does everyone log their food at the odd hours? When you come to work is that breakfast or when you first get up even though it might be 3 pm...
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    How does everyone log their food at the odd hours? When you come to work is that breakfast or when you first get up even though it might be 3 pm...

3pm is when we have breakfast in my house due to hubbys work schedule he works 6p-6a

Lunch is around 9/10p and dinner is around 2/3am sometimes 4 on his off nights

so we are pretty kcabsdraw :laugh:

It's okay though with me cause Ive always been a night owl and I prefer it think he does too :drinker:
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    im a train driver so shifts range from a 0400 start to a 2325 start... i find if i make my meals in advance i dont snack or get a takeaway plus i always keep plenty of fresh fruit on hand and tons of water. works well for me x
  • drivermarshy
    Options

i log my days from midnight-midnight.... regardless of what order i eat meals in... seems best way for me as otherwise one day has loads of cals and next not many... guess is just a numbers game but makes me happier not going over cal goal x