The truth is a bit depressing

Options
I know I'm fat. I've been fat for as long as I can remember and I know I didn't get that way overnight. But I realized this morning (well, I knew, but I really THOUGHT about it) that even if I average a loss of 1.5lbs per week, it will take me minimum a year and a half from this point to get to my goal. Yes, I know I'll change as I go on and won't always be obese or feel like the fattest person in a room, and even if it takes 2+ years I'm still heading towards being healthier and stronger, but wow. I can't believe I let myself get to the point that it will take me that long to get back to where I should be. Ugh. How did I let this happen?

However it happened, it stops now. The new me is forming, and I will be a stronger person from here on out!

Replies

• snuffmomma77
    snuffmomma77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Congrats on working on the new you.. One day at a time, and just remember it make take awhile in reality but dont focus on that focus on what you are accomplishing everyday.. and that you are still ging and pushing your self when you know you dont want to..
    Welcome to the journey....YOU CAN DO THIS...Read some other peoples amazing transformations and hopefully that will help you even more to be inspired to keep moving..
  • cioccatapioca
    Options
    I was overweight when I was younger, then I thinned out....
    I got to be thin for a few years and I got pregnant. Ever since then, I cannot get rid of the weight. I love eating more than anything!!! haha I just realized recently how far I let it get. My doctor told me I was 1 lb away from being obese. People always say, "you're not fat!" to make me feel better but I know the truth and I also know that nobody can change it but me.
    It seems like even the smallest amount of weight will take forever to lose but if you add exercise on top of that diet, you could lose more, and you will build muscle, making you appear to be even thinner! Keep up the good work. I hope you have some motivational people in your life, it really helps!
  • wallyg7
    wallyg7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When you look back on the last year and a half, how quick did it go by? Fast forward a couple of years you'll say, "my, how time flies!" and what an education on many things you wil have gotten.
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Keep pushing forward!! Don't let the scale dictate your success!!! Eat right, keep logging on here and get motivation from others. We are all here to help!! Get into a routine with a workout plan. Start off slow and keep adding to it. It may hurt at first the next day or two but it is a good pain...it WILL get easier. We all hit plateaus.....but keep at it and change workouts regularly to keep your body changing....Rome wasn't built in a day....best of luck to you!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If you could go to sleep and wake up a year and a half later, at your goal weight, would you want to? Think of everything you would miss along the way. By working for it and slowly getting your way there, you get so much more than just being thinner.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a long road, but it'll probably be an interesting one. I remind myself that when I travel, the trip is about as much fun as the destination.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I did similar sums for my own weight loss and was shocked, but you know what, I've realised that because it's taking so long, I've actually developed healthier eating habits, proper habits, as opposed to things I make myself do to eat better. And that has got to be a good thing even after the weight is all off.
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I understand fully the feeling about how long it will take to be at a "normal" weight. I , too, think how could I have ate myself to this place. But, we have to keep moving forward and think just how much fat that pound or two we are taking off our bodies each week really is.Envision that pound of margarine and actually look at how much fat a pound is--or even a half pound or quarter pound is a whole stick of that nasty fat off our bodies. and you will think "My goodness! Just look at that!"
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I did similar sums for my own weight loss and was shocked, but you know what, I've realised that because it's taking so long, I've actually developed healthier eating habits, proper habits, as opposed to things I make myself do to eat better. And that has got to be a good thing even after the weight is all off.
    AGREED!
    It can be really frustrating when you think about it, but you have to realize that you are changing your lifestyle. Would you rather take a year and a half and keep it off due to your healthy lifestyle and attitude, or use a quick fix, be your ideal weight in 6 months, and not know what to do when you get there?
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I love the support here. I have been working out 4-5 times a week since I joined MFP in Oct, I've lost one pants size and feel so much stronger already. If I can feel this good in 7 weeks, I can only imagine how I'll feel next year at this time :) Just gotta focus on those kinds of things along the way :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I know I'm fat. I've been fat for as long as I can remember and I know I didn't get that way overnight. But I realized this morning (well, I knew, but I really THOUGHT about it) that even if I average a loss of 1.5lbs per week, it will take me minimum a year and a half from this point to get to my goal. Yes, I know I'll change as I go on and won't always be obese or feel like the fattest person in a room, and even if it takes 2+ years I'm still heading towards being healthier and stronger, but wow. I can't believe I let myself get to the point that it will take me that long to get back to where I should be. Ugh. How did I let this happen?

However it happened, it stops now. The new me is forming, and I will be a stronger person from here on out!

I know how you feel. I can definitely relate, but I don't focus on the past, or how long it will take to get all the way to my ultimate goal. I focus on the small victories and changes in my body as they happen. Best of luck!
  • Bunnyfufu87
    Options
    I'm the same way.I weigh 367 pounds at 6ft so I know the feeling. I always think do I really eat that much more then the other people. Add my if you need support I have 200 pounds to lose. But I look at it like this Its my life I'm going to live it like in my dreams.Awesome.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way, if you never start you will never get there. We are all here to help, so you will not be doing it alone.
    Welcome to the lite side of food (from star wars "welcome to the dark side of the force")
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Since we're talking about the truth: it didn't take you a month to get over weight, it would be unrealistic to think that you would get fit in only one month.

Stay commited, don't lose hope, keep your workouts interesting, and you'll see a difference.
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I have thought the same way before.If I would have stuck to it back then( 9 years ago) I would could have lost the weight a couple of times if I would have stuck to it! And the 9 years have flown by, You can do it! Stay strong and positive. Eliminate negativity if you can, and don't be in a hurry. I've learned being upset about not loosing FAST, sets myself up for failure. Enjoy life, live it, love it! <3
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the end goal, celebrate your daily accomplishments. Love your body now, it's the only one you have... if you don't feel that your body is where it can be then work towards reaching there little by little. You really won't gain anything by bashing yourself and ruminating about the past. What's important is what you do from now on and looks like you're on track to getting where you want to be so KEEP ON WALKING! You can do this!!!!!! :) We're right behind u!
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Dbl post :)
  • aimes8
    aimes8 Posts: 12
    Options
    Celebrate your little accomplishments dont look at the time it takes you to get to your goal. I am sure that you get super excited when you wear new pants and they are the perfect fit and you aren't at your goal yet are you? Keep focused that's what important and when you reach your goal however long it takes the point is you reached it.... Stay blessed!
  • tracy287
    Options
    I agree to take it one day at a time when you look at the big picture you are like omg that will take me forver but if you take it day by day, pound by pound you will get there, you'll have good and bad days but if you keep it one day at a time you will get there.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    That year will pass whether you lose the weight or not. Which will make you feel better? To lose that weight, or get to next December and realize you've wasted a year?