calling all parents, new parent needs help

Options

Replies

• Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Apple juice and prune juice are the best, safest and fastest ways to help him out.

Also cut back on his dairy if you can, even just a little. Especially if you're giving him cheese or yogurt, as those are really good at plugging most people up.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    He is on whole milk? Or formula? How old is he?

Adding a small amoung of DARK karo syrup to his bottle is safe and effective. So is apple juice and prune juice.

he is a year old,

thanks for the tips

Some babies' tummies can't tolerate whole milk for a while. It's really an individual basis thing. The milk could be contributing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I'd say cut back on whole milk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    watered down apple juice is great it always gets my son to poop. Also when he was younger and would be constipated I would five him 4 oz of water and mix it with 2 teaspoons of sugar. That did the trick ALWAYS.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    This is gonna sound crazy but it worked for my oldest daughter who is 9 now...she still has some issues with her poops(don't tell her I put this on here LOL)
    The dr. told me to do karo syrup and we did....but corn syrup is not really what you wanna give your baby, I'm sure! We learned that the canned mandarin oranges worked wonders for her. No idea why they just do. Kids love them so it is not a struggle to get them to eat them. I am not a big fan of juices and we tried prunes every morning with her breakfast and nothing compares to the mandarin oranges.
    They even work better than regular fresh oranges. We just got to the point that a can of mandarin oranges became a part of her weekly diet(we only gave them to her about once or twice a week to help keep things going).
    Good luck! poor baby. I know how you feel. We tried everything...even those silly glycerin things...yuck!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I'd say cut back on whole milk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Similac and Gerber make "step up" formulas specifically for toddlers.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    we used miralax for my son...we thought he was in the corner trying to poop when really he was trying to hold it in because it hurt so bad when it came out...it became such a vicious cycle but the miralax really helped....added to his juice and water once a day...good luck...PS...call your pediatrician before you do any of this
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to call your doctor. Don't go on the Internet for answers to your baby's issues.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    agree wth above i.e. see a doctor if it persists. Exercise is good too is there a chance he has been indoors more if you are int he UK the cold weather could have limited his opportunities for exercise?
  • kegonzales
    Options
    PRUNE JUICE IS YOUR FRIEND! I even had to give it to my 4 month old. Works great and fast. If he does like it mix with some apple juice.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Suppositories. Not pleasant, but it works. No more than a couple of days.
    I know, that's kicking' it old school, but...
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Mandarin oranges worked really well for us.
  • WannaBeSlimJim2
    WannaBeSlimJim2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    PRUNES PRUNES PRUNES!!! Both my daughters struggled the same. When infants it was jarred smooth prunes, now it's the pited prunes. And for once I know she still has to have them once every other day. She also is a picky eater which is working against her too, so not enough in her diet so I can lay off the prunes yet. But she goes every day now. I would water down the juices...high sugars can take the opposit affect. Or watermelon, another goodie.

PRUNES and or WATERMELON!!!!

I feel your pain...and that of your son's...poor little man.

Tina
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    avocados. pears, apple juice
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Peas work wonders. They have the same effect as prunes, but more gently. Hope he feels better!!
  • Joannguido
    Options
    my "baby" is 23, but with all my kids it seemed the karo syrup helped. I dont know how old your baby is, but sunsweet puts out a product called plum sweets. They are bits of dark chocolate prunes. My grandkids love them,(as do I), and they might help.
  • wisgal77
    wisgal77 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Prune juice or puree.

Don't get too crazy with home remedies.

I agree. Just be prepared for what may come out. If he's really constipated, once it starts flowing, it will keep flowing.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    This is what your pediatrician is for, I recommend asking them.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Apple juice and prune juice are the best, safest and fastest ways to help him out.

Also cut back on his dairy if you can, even just a little. Especially if you're giving him cheese or yogurt, as those are really good at plugging most people up.

we found yogurt loosens things up
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    My son had the same problem. We used dark Karo syrup mixed with his formula.