Going over your protein intake on your daily food diary?

Options
Is it bad to get more protein than you need? I am at 0 left for the day but still have 141 calories left for the day with 9 carbs and 8 fat. I am on a 1200 calorie diet.

Replies

• Netjoker
    Options
    The protein goals for MFP are extremely low.

You can easily eat 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight with no ill effects.
  • amakayg
    amakayg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    so you're saying that I could still eat some protein and it won't hurt to go over as long as I stay at my calorie goal for the day and don't go over?
  • Netjoker
    Options
    Yep that is right
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I upped my protein to 100g day. This is more healthy. I substitute often protein shakes, even if it places me over. Because protein is so vital to repair things.

I think you will be fine.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why they have the macros default the way that they do. It was recommended to me that I eat 40/30/30 for carbs/proteins/fats so I set my macros, you can customize them-
    just go under the "my home" tab at the top, select "goals" in the bar below the tabs, and "change goals" select "custom" and you can change the percentages how you want.
    40/30/30 is the popular "zone" and it was also recommended as ideal for most people. It is hard to get enough protein but I find that when I do, I am not hungry and easily under cals.
  • amakayg
    amakayg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Now I have to go figure out what else to eat to finish my calories for the day! :)

We're having garlic shrimp with pasta and broccoli stir fry veggies for dinner!! Yummy!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why they have the macros default the way that they do. It was recommended to me that I eat 40/30/30 for carbs/proteins/fats so I set my macros, you can customize them-
    just go under the "my home" tab at the top, select "goals" in the bar below the tabs, and "change goals" select "custom" and you can change the percentages how you want.
    40/30/30 is the popular "zone" and it was also recommended as ideal for most people. It is hard to get enough protein but I find that when I do, I am not hungry and easily under cals.

I did this as well.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Ideally you should aim for eating your body weight in grams of protein, ie. if you weigh 150lbs that's 150g of protein. It helps to preserve lean body mass as you lose weight, plus it does wonders in keeping you feeling full and satisfied :drinker:
  • amysj303
    Options
    Ideally you should aim for eating your body weight in grams of protein, ie. if you weigh 150lbs that's 150g of protein. It helps to preserve lean body mass as you lose weight, plus it does wonders in keeping you feeling full and satisfied :drinker:
    I think you should eat your goal body weight!
  • angelbeville
    Options
    So if I weigh 200 lbs, I should target 200 gms of protein? That's a LOT of protein! I can hit 100, but 200? Anyone else getting 200?
  • Agean42
    Options
    I have my protein set to 240 grams a day, and I get close to it most days.

You can suppliment your protein intake with Protein shakes........ try and find one that is low in carbs % fat.

The one I use is low in carbs & fat and 25 grams of protein per shake ( I have 3 shakes a day between meals )
  • amysj303
    Options
    I think the target is "lean body weight" so if you weigh 135 and are 25% body fat, then you eat your lean body weight (101 lbs, or 75% of your weight). If you don't know your body fat % you can just use "goal weight" and a healthy body fat % for your gender.
    I just have the macros at 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fat and that means 112 grams of protein for me.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So if I weigh 200 lbs, I should target 200 gms of protein? That's a LOT of protein! I can hit 100, but 200? Anyone else getting 200?

I shoot for lean body mass myself, which is 175 for me. I typically hit it. I get more on days I exercise too (200ish). Nice side bonus is that I'm never hungry.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I personally take in as much protein as I can, I try to get 1g per each pound of my body weight now. So about 167g of protein...this is where protein shakes come in handy, to help you reach your goal intake.
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bump! wanna change mine and see if I can tell a difference....I almost always go over on protein!
  • angelbeville
    Options
    Thanks all, for the answers! I've just added protein shakes (GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey, but thinking of trying Brendan Brazier's Vega.) We'll see how much protein I can get in!

I do know that less protein = more hunger for me, so this could be a good thing!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Generally it's .7-1/gram per 1 lb bodyweight.

My diary is open, I'm at a 1500 cal/day diet, generally eat 120-160g/daily protein.
  • KimDoberman
    Options
    Protein is a Greek word, which means "Of the most importance".

You have to put protein in your diet above all, and in your case go ahead and get more. I also use Gold Standard 100% Whey protein shakes I get it from The Vitamin Shoppe in 10 pound bags. They are low in fat, carbs, and calories and you get 24 grams of protein per serving and I drink 4 daily. I am also eating 1200 calories a day, and often I really don't want to sit and eat chicken breasts all the time, so I have the shakes instead and they are great. So, don't worry about getting in some extra protein ever, because it is good for you!
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I actually customize my settings, less carbs, higher protein I think its 50carb, 30 fat and 20 protein, and I eat protein with most of my meals and snacks, I don't always go over but its usually the only nutrient I meet my goal for! It helps me feel full longer, and keeps my muscle mass while I'm dropping wt.
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I was just reading the Prevention magazine and it has a way to figure out Protein, that I was looking at and thought was high, but now I am not so sure.
    1. Divide your body weight (in lbs.) by 2.2
    2. Multiply that number by 1.5
    Aim for that many grams of protein each day.

Does that sound about right? Or is it too high? I was thinking about trying for more protein, but don't want to sabatoge what I am doing.