calling all parents, new parent needs help

Options

Replies

• bjhadden
    bjhadden Posts: 120
    Options
    Prune juice or puree.

Don't get too crazy with home remedies.

This. We always just gave fresh fruit to our kids, or juice. Make sure to cut back on cheese if he eats it.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    the telehealth nurse just told me he is likely getting too much dairy, cut back on the cheese and yogurt, and give him lots of fresh fruit and veggies (which we did already) she siad for a short tem fix try the apple juice watered down. thanks everyone for the ideas.
  • 1proudmomma9909
    Options
    give him some nursery water, or give him a few prunes to eat. my son is 2 1/2 and those are the 2 things i would do.Also if you lay him on his back and push his knees into his stomach a few times (gently) works...and this may sound weird but if you have a thermometer for his rear end take his temperature...it will loosen him up..i have done that a few times and it works as well...an older lady gave me that tip. Hope this helps and good luck! if all else fails call his pediatrician for tips!
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    With my first it was too much iron so we would only give her iron fortified formula every other feeding (as per a doctor's orders). Check with your ped first.
  • destanicheri
    destanicheri Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Perhaps his body is rejecting the milk he could be lactose. It can develop at any time in life. He should see his doctor and you can find out if it is that.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I had to water down prune juice for my daughter or water down one of the blends.
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I always put a little bit of dark karo syrup in my sons bottle when he was constipated. Cleared it right up!
  • SheaHF
    SheaHF Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Pears, prunes, peaches in any form (fruit or juice) will help. Also apple juice helps.
  • Priscillawants74gone
    Options
    I add prune juice to my sons milk every time he drinks it. he no longer has any problems as long as the prune juice is added.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I agree on the watered down apple juice. Also, stop feeding him bananas until it clears up. My doc told me that they are very binding for babies.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I would definately try apple juice and foods with high fiber before using any kind of medicine even over the counter, and if the first doesn't work then ask his pediatrician, they will probably tell you to try the miralax but unless they do I wouldn't use it, doing anything natural is so much better for the health of your little one.
  • brigg9
    brigg9 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree with checking with your doctors office. They will probably give you free advice over the phone.

Most hospitals also have a nurses line that is completely free to call for advice, especially in regards to babies, toddlers and children. They're there 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and always willing to help.

They're both just a phone call away. Good luck.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    My son was on Maltsupex for the first 4 months of his life due to constipation. It's a non-habit forming laxative. You can find it OTC at your pharmacy. However, should discuss it with your doctor. If he/she thinks it might be worth trying, you could probably get a prescription for it. My son is 19 now and I paid $40/jar when he was an infant.

When mixed with formula it looks like Kahula and cream or chocolate milk. People often made comments when I was feeding him in public. "I can't believe you're giving your child chocolate milk at such a young age." I'd just reply .... "Nooooo, it's not chcolate milk - it's Kahula and cream. I really need a nap." Geesh.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Not to scare you but make sure his belly isn't harder than it usually is. It should be soft and pliable(kind of like play doh or bread doh). If it's hard then call the doctor immediately. Also make sure you give him apple juice not apple cider. The cider could make him sick. My daughter was sick when she was 5 days old and we almost lost her so we pay strict attention to her diet(even now at 7 years old). I would definitely recommend contacting the doctor on this one. If its just constipation then the doc should be able to give you a lot of tips on what to do to help(and probably a mild stool softener). You can NEVER be to careful or cautious with the little ones.
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i gave my son prunes and it helped and lots of liquids
  • liveletl0ve
    Options
    My bby girl is constipated too. i know 3 things that help. warm bath, PEARS and pear juice found in the baby aisle, and my dr. said 2 tps of miralax once day. also remember to bicycle legs.
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to my son when he was a baby, and I was instructed to give him Pear juice not Apple juice because apple juice is so sweet and pear juice isn't very sweet. It worked for the most part, but I did ocasionally have to give him a suppository. Once he started crawling the issue went away.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Dilluted juice usually apple should help. His age kinda makes a difference in the choice of juice though, and you say he's on whole milk so I'm assuming hes over the age of 1. Have you tried 2% milk. You may be better off using that once you get him regular again. It may be too much on his digestive system and if your worried about him not getting enough nutrition/vitamins if you switch milk, try gving him Spectrum toddler DHA drops (after asking your dr. of course). I love em for my toddler. :smile:
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    pears worked for my little man, or pear juice apple juice prune juice.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I would recommend switching to 2% milk or even soy milk.

When my son was a baby he had the same problem with formula so we had to switch him to soy based formula.
    After a year old we tried to give him whole milk and the problem came back. So we started giving him 2% and somtimes just fat free milk. Soy milk works even better up until they are 2!!

I would definetly say apple juice works, maybe give him some more water. They also have AloeVera juice that I use to give my son and he would go right after drinking it.

Poor baby. Good luck!!