Medifast? Extreme dieting?

Options
Has anyone tried medifast? I had a friend that lost 50lbs in 3 months on it. She looks good and is keeping the weight off by continuing to eat well and exercise. I know that MFP is about crazy diets but I feel like I am on a never ending road to nowhere I have been trying to lose weight for almost 8 years. I just go up and down and I am not motivated anymore... I have no will power or discipline. Even logging is hard for me to do. I feel like if I didn't weigh 230 lbs that I wouldn't struggle so much when trying to exercise. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and paying to do medifast even though it's really expensive. I feel like I need to get a jump start to get me more motivated... Maybe I'm just looking for an easy way out and being lazy!? Any thoughts??

Replies

• aweightymatter
    Options
    Medifast is effective if you follow it but I tried it a while back and honestly, it sucked. As the name implies, it's based generally on a liquid "fast." It's probably changed a little bit since I followed it but basically you take in some calories six (maybe seven?) times a day. One is a very small low-carb meal, and the others are their products. These are all, more or less, liquids of some kind, though I think there are a couple snack bars now. The main product they sell are low-cal, low-carb shakes, and the other products are things like oatmeal, soups, etc. -- but again, all liquid.

I just really missed chewing after a while. And since the plan is based on consuming specific products rather than using points, calories, exchanges, or real food, mostly, it is challenging to continue if you ever have to travel, eat out as part of your work, etc.

It is very effective in producing rapid weight loss, but also somewhat unforgiving. Some people thrive with that kind of serious structure, while others end up flaming out. I was among the latter and wound up with a bunch of boxes of crappy tasting drink powders. :) YMMV! Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    There are many different types of diet out there but each one has something in common, willpower. Find something that suits you and stick with it no matter what for 3 months, that's 12-14 weeks, if you lost 2lbs a week that would add up to 24-28lbs lost with very little damage to your muscles.
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My old manager was on Medifast and lost about 20lbs in 2 months but as soon as she went off it she gained 35lbs and wasn't eating unreasonably. I was right where you are in May and I have taken this long to lose 30lbs. Let me tell you it's totally worth taking your time and doing it right the first time. It is a lot cheaper too! I know it's hard to be motivated but you're going to have good days and bad days but add me as a friend and I'll try my best to keep you up on your feet!
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    It's not any easier to get motivated to lose weight and exercise when you're only slightly overweight than if you were very overweight. Just wanted to throw that out there. Also, everyone struggles when they first start out with working out... especially if they spend the majority of their day sitting. Things get easier, you just have to push yourself over that hump.
  • mquarry
    Options
    It's not any easier to get motivated to lose weight and exercise when you're only slightly overweight than if you were very overweight. Just wanted to throw that out there. Also, everyone struggles when they first start out with working out... especially if they spend the majority of their day sitting. Things get easier, you just have to push yourself over that hump.

This. It really does get easier, you just have to push yourself out of your comfort zone and break away from your old self.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It is hard to do anyway you do it.
    Otherwise we would all be thin, right?

It's your choice whether you want to try something "extreme", I think you are still going to struggle with willpower, although maybe paying out the money and having something strict to follow will be a good option for you.

Personally I wouldn't do it - I tend to think that anything you can't stick to for the long term is only a temporary fix. You will still have to work on finding the healthiest kinds of foods to eat when you stop your "extreme" option. Because, I hate to tell you, but going on a short term diet might help you lose weight, but it won't help you keep it off for the long term. Learning to eat better and move more is the only thing that is going to do that.

If you aren't sure about Medifast then why not give MFP a go just as it is. Eat your calories (don't restrict yourself too much, make it a moderate deficit - 1 or 1/2 pound a week). Do some exercise, don't go overboard.
    Do this for a month and I'd be surprised if you didn't see a difference. If this doesn't seem quick enough - well, that's right. Losing weight and learning to keep it off isn't going to happen quickly. Don't get suckered in by anyone telling you that it is!
    It is, however, surprisingly easy to stick to when you don't go nuts and put yourself on an incredibly restricted diet.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • marasw
    marasw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My in-laws did Medifast for a few months and had great short-term success with it. I don't think they are doing it anymore, and I honestly don't have any idea how they are doing fitness-wise now. But overall I get the sense that while it may be very effective, it's not really something you can do over a long period of time. It's also very expensive. I have lost about the same amount that they did but took a lot longer to do it and I didn't have to survive off "shakes" and "bars".
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    We don't have this, so far as I know, in the UK but we do have similar. I did the Cambridge diet some years ago when I was desperate to shed weight quickly and, whilst my nails and hair were in fantastic condition!, it did nothing for me long term - I was straight back onto the yo-yo at the end of it.

If you really want to give this a go - have a plan in place for when you come off it. But overall I'd go for calorie counting and not a quick fix as on the calorie counting road you will learn so much more about yourself and how you're body and weight respond to different foods, and just how much exercise makes a difference to your weight, self image and morale.

Good luck!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    In four months I lost 50lbs. Ate healthier but I still ate. I'm going to assume you're smaller than me (currently 250lbs) but it can be done but healthy.

I'm not a fan of diets that take away food. I don't think they're au stainable or healthy.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I would advise you not to try it if you can do it yourself. I actually did the Lipotrim diet before which is 3 shakes a day (around 500 calories) and although it did work, i lost bout 2 and 1/2 stone in 9 weeks it made me very ill. I did not exercise as my calories were so low it made me light headed and i drank between 3 and 4 litres of water a day. After 9 weeks i had to come off it as my blood pressure dropped so low i was having black outs! I came off the diet and for about 6 months my hair continued to fall out, my nails were peeling and breaking and have never fully recovered and the enamel on my teeth softened and lost colour. My doctor and dentist have advised me that this was as a result of doing this diet. To top it all off i felt so crap when i finally came off it, i just ate and ate to regain my strength! The more i ate the better i eventually became so of course i ended puting it all back on again. These diets affect everyone differently but i would not advise putting your body through that if you can do it some other way! Hope this helps.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I lost weight with it but became sick in the process. It was so low calorie I was getting vertigo and my *ahem* plumbing stopped working. After three weeks the weight loss stopped completely. Their customer service had no real knowledge about nutrition or biology and were dismissive when I called with problems. The food (powdered packets) also tasted absolutely horrible. I gained back the 15 pounds I had lost and then some.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It might sound a bit crazy but I actually like the "strictness" of extreme diets. I did Cambridge diet and yes it was hard but after the first 4-5 days it got easier and I liked that it took the options away from me.

I am now trying a more balanced sensible eating way of losing weight as I know that I have to fight my demons. Portion control and too much pasta and bread.

I think sometimes these diets are amazing and people lose a lot of weight fast but they are hard to maintain and the old food demons are still there waiting for you at the end of it unless you really stick to it and follow all the maintenance plans after. Which unfortunately many don't as when they are all slim and feeling amazing its easy to fall in to bad eating habits again.

Whatever you decide, good luck x
  • dpedi
    dpedi Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!! I think I'm going to go with majority and at least try to make a more honest effort with MFP. I just feel hopeless.. I know that's dramatic but geez I really do. Hopefully I can dig up some motivation! Thanks for the support!
  • Kris10can
    Options
    I did the medifast diet for 2-3 months two years ago....I lost 35 pounds on the diet....but I would not recommend it!! I gained back the weight as soon as I returned to a health diet and I even gained additional pounds which was very upsetting! I still have some medifast products left over from when I went on the diet that I didn't use. I know a lot of the product have a lot of nutrients so I still have medifast foods on some days...but just for one meal. I think this is a better way to keep yourself in check. Not to mention, just one day of messing up on the diet (even by having too much of a condiment or something) will throw you out of ketosis. It wasn't worth it to me in the long run and just felt as though I was messing with my body.
    My boss actually started medifast before I did because she had soo much success....but she also regained back all of her lost weight and then some! Which is soo discouraging. Good news...my boss started losing weight the right way and has had much much much more success!!
  • Kris10can
    Options
    Not to mention......pretty expensive! You really miss foods....even healthy foods like carrots and onions that you can't have on Medifast!!!!
  • JackieMac979
    JackieMac979 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This thread sure was interesting reading for me, since I am following Medifast. I could write line by line my thoughts on some other poster's opinions, but I'll spare everyone of that.

Medifast is not a liquid fast now. They build in lean and green meals of protein and salad or vegetables. You can do a 5&1 plan with one lean and green meal, or a 4&2 plan as well.

I did it before and had such amazing success with it. I lost 60 pounds in exactly 12 weeks. It was my fault for going off the program. My son had his 3rd open heart surgery and the stress got to me. I ate whatever I wanted and took pleasure in being 'naughty' food-wise, so I gained... but had I stayed on the program I would now be at goal weight, and have transitioned to maintenance.

The program works. No doubt about that. Personally, I find it tasty enough (certain meals I love, others I don't like at all, but there are many to choose from.) I find it affordable. It was designed by the Johns Hopkins Obesity clinic and will produce weight loss safely of 2-5 lbs a week, on average, and targets bad/belly fat loss. It preserves lean mass. Your body does not go into starvation mode because you eat in a structured way, every 2-3 hours. You are allowed to work out.

It is not the same as other fasting diets. The meals are all equivalent to each other and interchangeable. You could have oatmeal, pancakes, soups, puffs, bars, brownies, pretzels, hot cocoa, chai lattes, cappuccinos, 'soft serve' ice cream, choc chip soft bake, etc. I could go on and on. Yes, there are shakes, but you don't even have to have them if you don't want them.

It has a lot of medical science backing it up. Dr. Wayne Andersen's book The Habits of Health is encouraged reading for the take shape for life side where you get a free health coach to guide you through the process and support you.

I'll stop my rant now, but for anyone who is doubting the success of this program, please feel free to ask me questions or friend me and see the results for yourself. I am NOT falling off the program this time. :)

Best wishes to everyone!

Jackie
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Here's the dope....

95% of diets fail.

you got this way because you made poor food choices in the past, and now all you are doing is switching the decisions of what goes in your food from the fast food/ packaged food vendors to someone else who promises you weightloss.

All you are doing is shifting responsibility from one place to another instead of dealing with it yourself.

Using any program is just treating the symptom and not the disease.

Eating better and exercise is all thats needed but health companies can't make money if you believe you can do it yourself.

I quote John Lennon "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me"
  • dpedi
    Options
    Thanks for another perspective! Good luck on your journey! Sounds like your doing well!
  • MsLouvenia
    MsLouvenia Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tried MediFast a few months ago and in my opinion it's not a healthy or economical way to go. All of the food is dehydrated food, add water and stir or cook in the microwave. They are 100 calorie meals so you are eating below 600 calories a day.
  • dpedi
    Options
    I know your right, but it's easier to shift blame and responsibility! Thanks for all of the feedback.