Anyone go to Curves?

Options
I am a SAHM and am thinking about going to Curves. If you go there, how has your experience been? Has it been worth the expense every month? I have tried DVD's at home, but I never get to them. When I am in my home, I see too much that has to be done. So I am hoping getting out and going to a gym will motivate me.

Replies

• shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My mother went there for a while. It's basically circuit training from what I understand. You stay on your machine for a few minutes, then you move to the next one. Some women apparently don't move off the machine when they're supposed to! My mom has been told to "go around" more than a few times! She quit it after a few months.
  • curlygirlcami
    curlygirlcami Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been a member of Curves for almost a year. People say that it's not really that hard or that much exercise, but it is what you put into it. I have enjoyed it very much. It's not something that I dread or something that is so hard I hate doing it. It's actually fun. I sweat, so that's good and my heart rate goes up. On the recovery stations you don't just have to stand there, you can run in place or do whatever you want to. I try to use that time to continue pushing myself.

I think at some point I will "out grow" Curves, but for now, it's great for me. I would be way too scared to go to a normal gym. This is a fun place to learn and workout.

I would also encourage you to do other things besides just Curves. Curves has Zumba classes, so that's fun too. Walk or do some DVDs at home every once in a while. That will also mix it up for you.

Normally they will give you a free week if you are interested, so I would call around. Also, know that each Curves is owned by different people, so if you don't like one or feel comfortable with one, you can try another one. There are like 5 within 15 miles of my house. Look into it for yourself. It's a good way to start exercise and give you the support and accountability that you need.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I tried curves for about 3-4 months
    the staff are amazing and really motivate you. they also get to know you as a person and talk to you like they've known you for years. it makes it a little more enjoyable to go.
    BUT it's a big circle of machines and you take 30 seconds per machine and then move to the next. you do this for 2 rounds on all machines. it's VERY good for a bit but after a couple months i got SUPER bored with it. i would dread going and on only the first 30 seconds i'd look around and think "ugh i have to do this all twice?!"
    the people infront of you would sometimes not move so it kinda screwed you up with the workout. i reccomend curves if you have absolutely NO active lifestyle and you want to slowely get into it. but remember, it gets boring fast. it seems to be better if you have a friend to go with. and most of the clients are 60-70 year old women.

plus you have to sign a year contract. so it's almost impossible to get out of. but i got lucky and they let me out of mine.
    sorry for the long reply, i just wanted you to know my experience.
  • KiniWoman
    KiniWoman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been going to Curves since February. I both love it and have the "meh" attitude. I had moved from another state and did not know anyone. It is a fantastic place for socializing and meeting people. I don't know about other Curves centers, but our owner changes the direction of the circuit every week and moves the machines around to different orders every 2-3 weeks. I use Curves Smart which I have a love/hate feeling for... haha, though I love the feedback. You're supposed to do 30 seconds on a machine, 30 seconds on a recovery station, repeat. Zumba has 1 minute of zumba dancing, 1 min on machine, repeat.

I do think its gets a routine going which is great in the beginning. Gets you out of the house, and hopefully meeting friendly people while there. It does get super boring though (hence, the "meh" feeling). The one I attend is a few blocks from my child's school, so I drop her off and go straight there before going home to shower and get on with my day. It's great. Except for when there's no school, I never seem to make it there... Definitely supplement it with something else...
  • KiniWoman
    KiniWoman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good luck!