Too many calories left at the end of the day, Help!

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hello.

This post is for the people out there who think they have to eat back calories they have burned.
    This is simple math:
    Your body needs to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound of pure fat.
    Average BMR is about 1200 (You will probably somewhere see 1600,1700 but that is usually inaccurate).
    If you eat 1600 calories (for example), burn 400 by exercise and for example 500 on everyday activity(walking,sitting,sleeping,moving), you are in minus of 500 calories.That means it takes 7 days for you to burn a pound of pure fat!
    This is how one pound of fat looks like. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4cqqZ3OeYaQ/TGK8Mbr65yI/AAAAAAAAAFM/QJB0GSYh678/s1600/fat.jpg

But you see, if you eat back those calories, you will be in minus of 100 calories, and it will take you 35 days to burn the same amount of fat.

As long as you have eaten 1200 calories or more, if you're not hungry there is no need to workout!

Also, most of the people overestimates their calorie burn.
    This is an example for running, 5mph for an hour.

130 lbs - 472
    155 lbs -563
    180 lbs -654
    205 lbs -745

If you run 9mph (so fast!):
    130 lbs - 531
    155 lbs -633
    180 lbs -735
    205 lbs -838

So how many calories are you REALLY burning? High intensity aerobic for an average of 150 lbs will burn 200 calories.And by high intensity i mean a lot of cardio,lot of jumping, lot of push-ups!

Wow, a lot of misinformation here.

Lovely_Lady23, I suggest you start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
    Then check the FAQ for further clarification http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/457-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I agree with guru, you have a lot to learn!
    Good luck.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If we could trust our bodies to always signal appropriate levels of hunger then we wouldn't have ever been overweight.
  • dricen
    dricen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If we could trust our bodies to always signal appropriate levels of hunger then we wouldn't have ever been overweight.

Eh, Not necessarily. I love food, and I often overate just because I just love food =) I also didn't live a very healthy lifestyle exercise wise =)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    True. So if we could trust our bodies to sent the correct hunger signals AND trust ourselves to eat dictated only by those hunger signals, THEN we wouldn't be overweight.
  • dricen
    Options
    Then this wonderful site and app wouldn't exist! And what would I be doing with my time right now?!
  • kimibunny
    Options

Hunger and cravings are two entirely different things. I doubt you'll find anyone who has become overweight from eating only when they are legitimately hungry.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    First...its been a week. Calm down folks. Whenever I start a new regimen, it takes me some time to adjust. My first week, I also had lack of appetite. But second week? When I really started to rev up the exercise? Well...let's just say I don't have that problem any more.

I think you *can* trust what your body is telling you, as long as you are exercising and eating well. (its when you eat crap, shove sugar and caffeine down your gullet, and sit around all day that your body's signals can't be trusted). So, take a more holistic approach instead of simple numbers approach. Are you eating proper meals? Are there vegetables and protein at all of them? Are you doing things that blunt your appetite, like smoking or drinking loads of caffeine all day? Are you skipping meals and then finding (surprise surprise), that you aren't hungry enough to eat a thousand high-quality calories for dinner?

Long term weight loss isn't a cookbook. Read everyone's advice (that is, of course, partly why we are here!), but remember, people tout what has worked for them (eat! Don't eat! No, wait...eat!). You have to figure out what's going on with *YOU*. Its only been a week. So, I have faith that, with a little more time and reflection, you will figure out why you aren't hungry.
  • dricen
    Options
    Ya I know its been a week, but I just wanted to start out on the right foot =) I eat very regularly, about every 2.5 hours or so. Just small things at a time. And I only drink water, and do not smoke. I work in an office so my physical activity during the day is extremely limited. I just want to get an idea of how I should be going about things the proper way so that I can get the most efficient results =)
  • kit548emt
    Options
    I have noticed that when I eat all my calories, also the ones came from exercise, I have much more energy and better feeling next day. It's like batteries were properly charged for anything coming ahead and I like that feeling a lot. If you want to make this as a permanent lifestyle, you need to be able to enjoy it or it will be very tempting to slip back to old ways.

Planning ahead is good and eating nutritionally good foods instead of unhealthy snacks. I like to eat a big breakfast and many times I eat 4 slices of bread + 3 eggs couple of hours before evening exercise and after that a nice dinner out whatever looks tempting at the moment. No problems getting enough calories!

If I still have too much calories left in the evening, I'll snack for instance almonds with honey or some fruit juice. Juices add calories fast and they are easy to combine to any meal or as a snack. Always can drink some. :-)

Good luck finding the right balance!

V8 Fusion is a GREAT juice plus it gives you extra veggie and fruit servings!! It's lower in sugar than some other juices but does have calories.
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hello.

This post is for the people out there who think they have to eat back calories they have burned.
    This is simple math:
    Your body needs to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound of pure fat.
    Average BMR is about 1200 (You will probably somewhere see 1600,1700 but that is usually inaccurate).
    If you eat 1600 calories (for example), burn 400 by exercise and for example 500 on everyday activity(walking,sitting,sleeping,moving), you are in minus of 500 calories.That means it takes 7 days for you to burn a pound of pure fat!
    This is how one pound of fat looks like. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4cqqZ3OeYaQ/TGK8Mbr65yI/AAAAAAAAAFM/QJB0GSYh678/s1600/fat.jpg

But you see, if you eat back those calories, you will be in minus of 100 calories, and it will take you 35 days to burn the same amount of fat.

As long as you have eaten 1200 calories or more, if you're not hungry there is no need to workout!

Also, most of the people overestimates their calorie burn.
    This is an example for running, 5mph for an hour.

130 lbs - 472
    155 lbs -563
    180 lbs -654
    205 lbs -745

If you run 9mph (so fast!):
    130 lbs - 531
    155 lbs -633
    180 lbs -735
    205 lbs -838

So how many calories are you REALLY burning? High intensity aerobic for an average of 150 lbs will burn 200 calories.And by high intensity i mean a lot of cardio,lot of jumping, lot of push-ups!

Wow, a lot of misinformation here.

Lovely_Lady23, I suggest you start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
    Then check the FAQ for further clarification http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/457-unofficial-mfp-faq

Thank you for posting the correct information....as I read Lovely_Lady23's post I was starting to panic picturing all the newbies running to their diary setting and slashing calories! This is so inaccurate....but a very good time to point out to people that research is worth the time and energy. If you want to do it right....take the time to ask questions, and research the answers. There is a wealth of info out there. Never take one person's word as gold....take a minute to research what they have told you and find out for yourself.
    Just to point out....I eat 1800-2000 cals a day net (so I eat back all of my exercise calories....sometimes as much as 2500 cals a day). I am losing 1 pound per week consistently at these numbers. I work out because I want to be fit and healthy...not skinny. I have also lost 1 inch on my waist and 1 inch on my hips in the past 3 weeks. And I am not new to this...it's been almost a year....so this isn't water weight I am losing these past 3 weeks. And my BMR is about 1600....so that 1200 you mentioned would do me more damage than I want to think about right now! lol So, with your math....I should have actually gained around 2 pounds per week at my settings....not lost the 4 I did in 3 weeks. Hmmmm.... The body is complex....and it does not always follow "Simple" mathematics. What works for one person, does not necessarily work for another.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What if all the tracking is nearly correct (in the right ballpark at least) and he is merely coming in way short of target due to improper planning? Yeah I guess that's too far fetched.

Uhm, then he'd lose a bunch of weight quickly. After a couple weeks of losing over 2 pounds per week it would catch up with him. But it's best to follow what your body tells you and then see how you do, instead of over-eating and then having to readjust.

To the OP: if you're not hungry, then don't eat. Weigh yourself frequently and if your weight starts dropping faster then you think is healthy, or if you start feeling over tired, start eating more.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    So, take a more holistic approach instead of simple numbers approach. Are you eating proper meals? Are there vegetables and protein at all of them? Are you doing things that blunt your appetite, like smoking or drinking loads of caffeine all day? Are you skipping meals and then finding (surprise surprise), that you aren't hungry enough to eat a thousand high-quality calories for dinner?

bingo!
  • dricen
    Options

Uhm, then he'd lose a bunch of weight quickly. After a couple weeks of losing over 2 pounds per week it would catch up with him. But it's best to follow what your body tells you and then see how you do, instead of over-eating and then having to readjust.

To the OP: if you're not hungry, then don't eat. Weigh yourself frequently and if your weight starts dropping faster then you think is healthy, or if you start feeling over tired, start eating more.

I've lost roughly 13 pounds in a month, and about 2.5 this week after using MFP. I've been eating my calories back, and eating snacks at night to get my calorie intake up to my goal. I just don't want the weight to stop coming off for awhile =)
  • katcena
    Options
    Ya I know its been a week, but I just wanted to start out on the right foot =) I eat very regularly, about every 2.5 hours or so. Just small things at a time. And I only drink water, and do not smoke. I work in an office so my physical activity during the day is extremely limited. I just want to get an idea of how I should be going about things the proper way so that I can get the most efficient results =)

Looking at your diary for today....I would suggest doubling up on the OJ and doing a full cup of oats (instead of 1/8 of a cup). Or throw in a tablespoon of peanut butter, an egg or 2. If it's a matter of time in the morning....hard boil some eggs ahead of time and grab one on your way out the door after you have eaten the other things.
    You could also throw in a protein shake once or twice a day. SImple, ready to go, type ones like Special K, you can keep in the fridge and drink in the car as you are going from one place to another. Also, small 100 cal packages of nuts are great to keep on hand. Or small Breakfast on the Go packages (mix of nuts and granola). Those take care of the simple items when you are crunched for time.
    You can also throw in an apple at anytime....juice is another...though I stay away from it because of the sugar. But that's me, and I am not coming in 1000 cals short a day...if I were, I would be drinking juice because I actually love it! Especially Odwalla or Naked juice...yummy.
    Maybe you just get too busy....and even though you may be a little hungry, there is no food readily available to grab, so time passes and your body has gotten used to the lack of calories and your hunger goes away? Just an idea. I know my mom has that problem....terrible eating habits...I am always trying to stuff food into her! lol And she always says "I"m not hungry!".
  • dricen
    Options

Looking at your diary for today....I would suggest doubling up on the OJ and doing a full cup of oats (instead of 1/8 of a cup). Or throw in a tablespoon of peanut butter, an egg or 2. If it's a matter of time in the morning....hard boil some eggs ahead of time and grab one on your way out the door after you have eaten the other things.
    You could also throw in a protein shake once or twice a day. SImple, ready to go, type ones like Special K, you can keep in the fridge and drink in the car as you are going from one place to another. Also, small 100 cal packages of nuts are great to keep on hand. Or small Breakfast on the Go packages (mix of nuts and granola). Those take care of the simple items when you are crunched for time.
    You can also throw in an apple at anytime....juice is another...though I stay away from it because of the sugar. But that's me, and I am not coming in 1000 cals short a day...if I were, I would be drinking juice because I actually love it! Especially Odwalla or Naked juice...yummy.
    Maybe you just get too busy....and even though you may be a little hungry, there is no food readily available to grab, so time passes and your body has gotten used to the lack of calories and your hunger goes away? Just an idea. I know my mom has that problem....terrible eating habits...I am always trying to stuff food into her! lol And she always says "I"m not hungry!".

I try not to drink too much OJ in the morning because of the sugar. And for the oats, I've recently switched to whole grain oats and I really don't like them. I force myself to eat them over the apples n cinnamon that I was eating. But I guess I could try and eat just a little bit more. I am crunched for time in the morning, which is why I normally eat pretty light for the morning. But other than that, I eat often. I've been trying to eat bananas and grapes as snacks, I never found nuts too filling. Maybe I should try some nuts now and give me some extra protein. I've never had a protein shake, what would you guys recommend?
  • katcena
    Options

I've lost roughly 13 pounds in a month, and about 2.5 this week after using MFP. I've been eating my calories back, and eating snacks at night to get my calorie intake up to my goal. I just don't want the weight to stop coming off for awhile =)

Don't worry about the weight coming off....because it will slow down at some point and you will have to revise what you are doing. It is a constantly evolving thing because as your body loses weight, your caloric needs change. Are you working out at all? If not, some weight lifting may give your appetite a boost...I know it does for me! And if you are exercising and building muscle you will gradually need to increase some calories and macros to properly keep up with changing body.
    Just keep in mind that what you are doing now may work fine for a month, or two....but there will have to be changes....so keep that in mind so you are not caught off guard when that time rolls around. The biggest concern when eating as low as you are....if you continue to eat too few calories...over a period of time your metabolism will slow down and that will cause your weight loss to plateau. Keep asking questions and keep researching...you are on the right track to learning what to do! :)
  • dricen
    Options

Don't worry about the weight coming off....because it will slow down at some point and you will have to revise what you are doing. It is a constantly evolving thing because as your body loses weight, your caloric needs change. Are you working out at all? If not, some weight lifting may give your appetite a boost...I know it does for me! And if you are exercising and building muscle you will gradually need to increase some calories and macros to properly keep up with changing body.
    Just keep in mind that what you are doing now may work fine for a month, or two....but there will have to be changes....so keep that in mind so you are not caught off guard when that time rolls around. The biggest concern when eating as low as you are....if you continue to eat too few calories...over a period of time your metabolism will slow down and that will cause your weight loss to plateau. Keep asking questions and keep researching...you are on the right track to learning what to do! :)

I work out very often. Probably 5-6 times a week. Sometimes 2x a day. Yesterday was the first day I haven't been able to do anything in about a week.
  • katcena
    Options
    I have tried tons of protein shakes...Special K French Vanilla is my favorite "easy" one. Already mixed and packaged, grab it out of the fridge and go. I drink Shakeology every day (since March)...can't go without it. Chocolate is my favorite. I drink P90X Results and Recovery Orange Dream during/after every workout now too. My last go-to is Muscle Milk 100 cal. Not my favorite...but I can get it down.
    I've tried Jilliam Michaels, EAS, etc....and just didn't care for them. I still have containers full of them because I just can't bring myself to drink them. :( It's the taste....to each his own. I have heard other people mention the ones I love and say they are just terrible. So, it's really a matter of trial and error. You need to try them out and see what fits your taste buds! :)
  • katcena
    Options

Oh wow! You are working out on those calories! What type exercise are you doing? Cardio every day? Weights? Both?

I work out very often. Probably 5-6 times a week. Sometimes 2x a day. Yesterday was the first day I haven't been able to do anything in about a week.