2»

Replies

• peaceinside
    Options
    BUMP!
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks for starting this topic.. I just changed my %. I really didn't want to eat 30% fat anyhow. :D
  • jenroses
    Options
    WOW! Thank you all for your replies! All VERY helpful! =)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? If you are eating excessive amounts of protein everyday and feel tired a lot, you might be pushing your kidneys too hard. Before I was a vegetarian (lacto, ovo), I consistently ate way more protein than recommended minimum. Not a hard thing to do, I know. Now that I'm a vegetarian, it's different. I almost always get the minimum I need and a lot of times go over a bit. But nothing like before where I was getting double and triple the necessary protein. Personally, I feel better without the protein overload. And it's surprising how much protein some veggies and whole wheat breads have.

I can't speak for anyone else but I feel better than I have in years. I'm sure a huge part of that is losing 27 lbs and exercising and eating better, not sure if the amount of protein has a big affect on how I feel or not but it's definitely not hurting my general state of being. :-) Might be different for different people.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't be harmful but a lot of meats and eggs also contain significant amounts of cholesterol so just watch that carefully! Great sources of protein without too much bad cholesterol are beans!!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It will probably do you more good than harm
  • zviolinick
    Options
    You would have to eat insanely high levels of protein for it to have any bad effects. Worry about going under: your body not only uses it for fuel, but also to repair & build your muscles. But don't worry about going over the "recommended" levels. My doctor has been prescribing a low-carb, high-protein diet for decades, some of his patients have been eating like this for 20 years with no bad effects.

How much *you* should have really depends on your individual metabolism. My doc did some tests on me and recommended I eat my calories as 65% protein, 30% fat, 5% carbs. That dietary change has been the way I've lost over 55 lb in 9 months. I eat 250-300g protein per day. But every body is different, you just have to figure out what works for you.

Good luck!

5% carb is a virtually keto diet, which is extremely unhealthy especially if you exercise...
  • kedwardspcm
    kedwardspcm Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you want to be lean and fit - eat your body weight in grams of protein every day. Women cannot get buff and bulky without the assistance of chemicals. If you look any Victoria Secrets Super Models diet (not bulky or buff physiques), or read any health and fitness nutritional articles, you will soon discover that protein is your friend and its how the lean and mean look the way they do. With out adequate protein, you have little to support your lean muscle mass. You may be skinny, but you will also be skinny fat. Who wants to be skinny fat?
  • kedwardspcm
    kedwardspcm Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For most women - 100-120g per day is what they should aim for.

Where did you read that? I read around 0.36g per pound you weigh.

Great article

First off, for those who still may not be aware, protein is the number one food, in fact maybe the number one “thing” you can put in your mouth to safely achieve fat loss. I’ve been following the research on this for almost 15 years. Not only because bodybuilders and other athletes have been cutting carbs and increasing protein to get lean for decades but because scientific studies started to support this strategy over 10 years ago.

The reason for protein’s fat loss effects are that it: 1. Increases metabolic rate more than carbs or fat 2. Decreases hunger more than carbs or fat 3. Maintains muscle when dieting greater than fat or carbs (and more muscle means a higher metabolic rate and a lower calorie requirement)!

A little more recently, there have been a number of studies showing that whey protein in particular has stronger effects on appetite than other proteins. A review of scientific studies conducted at the University of Toronto on whey protein’s effects on hunger, concluded that it decreased food intake more than other foods, other proteins and versus placebo. It also found that whey’s specific proteins and peptides are “bioactive”, leading to satiety (decreased hunger). Moreover, it showed that whey protein affects hormones and other bodily functions that decrease hunger.

But that’s just hunger, what about the actual results you can get from whey protein? Good question...A study in the Journal of Nutrition showed that whey protein outperformed both carbohydrates and soy protein – resulting in research subjects losing five more pounds of body fat and a loss of one inch around their waists respectively!

But isn’t whey protein for gaining muscle? Yes, and studies in which subjects used a whey protein supplement show significant gains in muscle and strength but when dieting, whey protein “spares muscle”, so you lose more fat and less lean mass!

The authors of a study published in the journal Nutrition & Metabolism stated that research subjects using whey protein “lost significantly more body fat and showed a greater preservation of lean muscle”.

Finally, if all that weren’t enough, a very recent study published in the Journal of Nutrition showed that whey protein may help maintain fat loss even in without restricting calorie intake!

So there you have it folks...and as I said, there are plenty more studies where those ones came from showing further support for most or all of the effects mentioned above. So really, whether you’re bulking, cutting up, trying to recover from exercise or for general health, whey protein is one of the best foods to reach for, as well as being convenient to prepare and relatively cheap!
  • Top_Bankster
    Options
    Take a look at this article on the Gatorade Sports Science Institute website.

http://www.gssiweb.com/Article_Detail.aspx?articleid=602&level=3&topic=2

Many athletes and people in general eat way too much protein. More protein is not better it is just a waste. According to this article, scientific studies show that an athlete (keep in mind these are people who need the most protein) should only consume 1.7 grams of protein for each kilogram of body weight (use google to do the conversion) because that is the largest amount their body can make use of. Just for reference that means if you weigh 150 lbs you only need to consume 116 grams of protein at the most. I read about another study that shows some athletes can make use of 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight...but even so that means you'd only need 136 grams if you weigh 150lbs.

The moral of this post is you do not need to flood your body with protein. These numbers are for people who do endurance and strength training. If you are a regular person or someone who is just trying to lose weight you need to eat a lot less protein.

Happy exercising everyone! :-)
  • stephanie_salvi
    Options
    I want to know what you are eating! I am trying to get in 120-150 of protein per day and I NEVER do.....

Don't eat white bread or white rice. Whole grains, brown rice, and oatmeal have much more protein.
  • jenergy_20
    Options
    Bump
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? If you are eating excessive amounts of protein everyday and feel tired a lot, you might be pushing your kidneys too hard. Before I was a vegetarian (lacto, ovo), I consistently ate way more protein than recommended minimum. Not a hard thing to do, I know. Now that I'm a vegetarian, it's different. I almost always get the minimum I need and a lot of times go over a bit. But nothing like before where I was getting double and triple the necessary protein. Personally, I feel better without the protein overload. And it's surprising how much protein some veggies and whole wheat breads have.

how are you getting your protein? I am a vegetarian & I struggle with it... I'm also a pretty picky eater lol
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

how are you getting your protein? I am a vegetarian & I struggle with it... I'm also a pretty picky eater lol

oops! I hi-jack didn't I?! sorry i'm new to this lol, can you message me and let me know?
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You would have to eat insanely high levels of protein for it to have any bad effects. Worry about going under: your body not only uses it for fuel, but also to repair & build your muscles. But don't worry about going over the "recommended" levels. My doctor has been prescribing a low-carb, high-protein diet for decades, some of his patients have been eating like this for 20 years with no bad effects.

How much *you* should have really depends on your individual metabolism. My doc did some tests on me and recommended I eat my calories as 65% protein, 30% fat, 5% carbs. That dietary change has been the way I've lost over 55 lb in 9 months. I eat 250-300g protein per day. But every body is different, you just have to figure out what works for you.

Good luck!

5% carb is a virtually keto diet, which is extremely unhealthy especially if you exercise...

Nothing virtual about it, it is ketosis. I try to keep my body in ketosis at all times. AS PRESCRIBED BY MY DOCTOR. So please don't try to tell me that it's unhealthy. Many ill-informed yet well-meaning people, even on fitness sites, get ketosis mixed up with ketoacidosis. The first thing is perfectly healthy, especially for people with carbohydrate-intolerant metabolisms. The second thing is the dangerous one.