After Surgery - Getting Back on the Exercise Train

Options
I had a somewhat major surgery about 3 1/2 weeks ago, I got the clearance from my Dr to resume normal activities BUT I cant seem to get myself motivated or just even started a little bit, I think part of the problem is I asked the doc about it and his comment was "If it hurts..stop"! (That was the same comment he had about sex also!!) anyway has anyway had major surgery and started back to exercising...I know I just need to DO IT...I would go walking but I live in MN and of course it decided to get butta** cold this week (I know I know Bundle up!) anyway I guess Im just looking for a good swift kick to get back in the game...

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    *gets in line behind you and raises boot*

You can still go for a walk on the treadmill at the gym. Not near as much fun but something. Are any of the girls there members of your gym, and could meet with you to walk or do a class? (Granted, they aren't as awesome as me, but sadly I'm not there.)

Do we need a challenge my friend?? :wink: I need to get back on the train also.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I KNEW you would kick my *kitten*..I know I can do the treadmill..**get ready for excuses here** ...You know I like to workout in am, well 3 weeks of sleeping in, staying in PJs all day has killed that (I have tried setting my alarm clock and I inevitably change it !) In the evening then, OK EXCEPT I have to go home first because of the kiddos so once again motivation flies out!

I need a workout partner here that I meet at the gym, is 600 miles too far at least 3x a week??

YES I need a challenge....
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    You can't do treadmill in the mornings? I'm asking b/c I honestly don't know the answer. Hey, I'll sell ya mine!

I want to start doing the C25K, maybe next week. But you know I DON'T do AM workouts. Maybe we need to do a wake up call?!?

Hmmmm, let me be thinking on the challenge. But I'm thinking loser buys the drinks next trip!
  • OkieinMinny
    Options
    Sounds good...I could do treadmill in the am IF I could get out of bed..therein lies the issue :)
  • megansg87
    Options
    What kinda surgery did you have? I had surgery last summer and starting exercise again was really hard! I started with walking though then moved jogging etc. Just don't start with strength training right away. Worst idea ever! Good luck to ya :)
  • OkieinMinny
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy so Im nice and squishy in the belly too!...I KNOW trying to get back in that habit is no bueno!

Good point on the strength training, and whats funny about that is I was debating about going to my Body Pump class tomorrow night, but I will start small..20 mins or so walking etc!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My fiance had back surgery in April and was so afraid to start back up. He started very slow and just figured out what he could and could not do.
    I had gallbladder removal in July and am now finalllllly getting motivated enough to get back into it :( I was derailed from the motivation train and I'm now finally hanging onto the caboose lol
    Start small for sure, see what you can and cannot handle.
  • Sunshinema
    Options
    i had a hysterectomy this summer. i started walking and worked my way back up to the full strength training/cardio within a couple of weeks. i stayed away from any ab workout for even a couple of weeks longer after my 8weeks out. but the walking helped and when it was too hot to do it outside i walked around the house and up and down the stairs to keep me moving. the firsr step is just moving which you know.

gotta get that butt out of bed. i know how hard it was...i so wanted to keep lounging but two kids and a full time job chnaged that real quick.

good luck
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    wow! I am very, very surprised your doc cleared you to return to exercise so soon. Six weeks is pretty standard procedure after that. Your body is also giving you clues that it is still healing ( the inability to drag yourself out of bed super early, etc). If you do get back at it, please take it slow!!
  • dragonssoftballmom
    Options
    I had the same surgery on November 14th laproscopically and I'm still not cleared. Take it easy. Don't be so hard on yourself. I went back to yesterday and I have no energy either, but it's all about baby steps. I will not be cleared until after Christmas. Take it slow and take care of yourself!
  • insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had minor surgery (a hernia repaired) last February, and I found that the easiest way for me to get some walking in was to pick a place to walk to like the library or the store. I'm in Wisconsin, so I know how cold it can get, but it was way better than a treadmill and it fit into my day because I needed to run those errands anyway.

Good luck!
  • OkieinMinny
    Options
    @dragonssoftballmom - I had the same thing on 11/11, just went back to work yesterday! @sunshinemama - yep 2 kids and a job definitely factors in! and thats what I need for you guys to tell me to get my butt out of bed :) Thanks!!