Does rinsing canned tuna really reduce the sodium?

Options
2»

Replies

• JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I also buy the Starkist low sodium. What really FROSTS MY CAKE is that they charge MORE for it. WTF is up with that?! Anyone know what the sodium is on the other two low sodium/no sodium added ones mentioned?
    because they know they can charge more for something that is more healthy.
  • letonia_
    letonia_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I rinse everything canned: green beans, lentils, tuna.
    It shows in the taste and definitely in the sodium intake :)
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    The no salt added tuna's are exactly that, not sodium free by any stretch but waaayyy lower than commercial salt added. They are a bit pricier but I've noticed particularly with the Trader Joe's it is a very high quality tuna so I don't mind paying a bit more.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I'm surprised that the low salt/low sodium tuna is more expensive. I buy it at my local store and it's the same price as the regular kind.
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    Great informative thread, thanks. I eat tuna like a madman and will start rinsing from now on!
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Love this site...

I would have never thought to rinse my tuna and don't eat as much of it because of the high sodium in the cans, thanks for the tip.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Double Post, sorry...
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I always assumed that because they process the tuna on the boat while they're catching it, they just use processed sea water to can it. Salt free would require bringing the fresh water out on the boat with them. But I'm making this up off the top of my head.

you thought they put it in the cans......on the boat? :noway:

Not really, right? You're just joshing us..........right?

Okay, maybe they don't do it that way anymore, but at least that's how canned fish started out. Maybe that's why people expect salt. Here are some photos from Alaska's archives of older cannery ships:

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=all&CISOBOX1=cannery+ship&CISOFIELD1=CISOSEARCHALL&CISOROOT=all

and apparently they're still hiring:
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/printthread.php?s=4a7dc31ff48ae0c236f8e874601e6025&threadid=242515
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    You could always buy the low sodium tuna. :smile: