Food

Options
So I moved out on my own 2 weeks ago (on my own and in a new state) and since than I been eating crappy foods. Lot's of carbs and sodas because they keep me "feeling full" for longer while I am short on money. I am getting paid Friday (finally!) and am really looking to go food shopping. I can't spend a whole lot but I want to buy a decent amount. Anyone have any recommendations for a picky (and poor) woman looking to lose weight and be happy??

Thanks in Advance!

Replies

• kellyrsmith82
    Options
    They sale Maria Callenders at walmart for like 1.89 each low calories and not too bad. I have been eating them and then snacking on dried fruit nad having fresh fruit as well! Good luck!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter (and a teaspoon of brown sugar) stirred into it for breakfast. I tend to keep bananas and apples around for snacks. I never buy salad stuff because it always goes bad before I finish it. I do buy a lot of frozen broccoli (I like the steam in the bag stuff from Wal Mart, 3 servings for $1.08 here) and green beans. I like to pick up bags of chicken tenders on sale. Tenders are usually slightly more expensive that boneless skinless chicken breast but I think it's worth it for portion control. I tend to keep canned tuna, reduced sodium soups (purchased on sale), and brown rice in the pantry.

While I'm not a coupon fiend I do always check the sale adds for the local grocery stores before I go shopping. I also usually go twice a week simply because I don't like ripe bananas so I only buy 3 or 4 greenish ones at a time so it's not that much of a hassel for me to hit a couple of places shopping for sale items.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl! Keep looking at my diary b/c that is me!

I have issues with protein and veggies!!!! You can eat and eat a lot....hard boiled eggs are a great snack and very cheap!

Work on the water.....start trying to cut out some of the soda! Carbonated water is a great think.....I have also drank diet coke but I cut back a lot.....but sometimes I need the carbination!

There are lots of things....just take time in the store reading the labels!!!!! You can find so many things...Special K makes amazing stuff and it is pretty good prices in the US....Canada not so much....LOL
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Feeling full = lean protein and complex carbs. Meat can be expensive, but small amounts can go a lot way. Also things like eggs! cottage cheese, yoghurt, tinned fish, chickpeas and baked beans and other beans etc. can provide good protein.

Oats are great for a filling breakfast (cheap). Potatoes are filling and cheap - baked for lunch or dinner?

Frozen veges and berries are just as good for you as fresh and much cheaper.

You're drinking over 300 calories a day in soda! Could you switch to diet soda and maybe try to swap some of that for water, or tea or something?

Good luck on your journey...
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Dried beans and rice, (brown), are staples for the budget strapped meal plan.
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you're picky, what kinds of foods do you like?

My best advice without knowing that is to get a crock pot and a cheap set of re-useable containers. Do something yummy like chili - it freezes well and isn't too expensive for the ingredients, especially if you do vegetarian chili. Rice and beans is also a good and versatile combination, and the major components (the rice and the beans) are fairly inexpensive if you prepare it yourself.

Good luck!
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

Check out her $25 shopping carts to get some ideas. =)
  • chefchazz
    Options
    Feeling full = lean protein and complex carbs. Meat can be expensive, but small amounts can go a lot way. Also things like eggs! cottage cheese, yoghurt, tinned fish, chickpeas and baked beans and other beans etc. can provide good protein.

Oats are great for a filling breakfast (cheap). Potatoes are filling and cheap - baked for lunch or dinner?

Frozen veges and berries are just as good for you as fresh and much cheaper.

You're drinking over 300 calories a day in soda! Could you switch to diet soda and maybe try to swap some of that for water, or tea or something?

Good luck on your journey...

THIS!
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I make a pot of Chili and a big pot of soup. They last all week and are very filling. Pair the soup with a salad and piece of fruit.
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    Thank you everyone for responding! I know the soda is pretty bad. On Friday when I get paid I will not be buying anymore soda.