New - live in Alaska, want friends to follow and support!

Options
Hi!

I joined two days ago and would love to add some people to my friend list. I am mid-40s, and am working to get back to health after a major illness. I need to lose about 25 pounds, work on core strenght and balance issues. This looks like a fun and involved way to do it!. I would like to hear from people who might have similar situations - physical illness that they are working to recover from.

I was a type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetic for 25 years prior to my kidneys failing. I spent two years on dialysis waiting for a kidney and pancreas transplant. During that time I was completely disabled and almost died. Also during that time, I had three knee surgeries that were completely unrelated to the kidney failure. It took me two more years after the transplants to recovery health enough to go back to work.

I now have been working for a couple years as the director of a homeless shelter in Anchorage. My work is extremely important to me and inspires me to keep on working on myself. People who suffer from mental illness, addictions, brain injury, developmental disabilities, and other situations often end up homeless and vulnerable on the streets. I am thankful every day that I am lucky enough to be alive and to help others.

Now I need to get myself back into good shape and health. I am watching my diet and working out 3 - 4 times per week. I don't even care as much about looking great as I do about feeling great and living for as long as I can. Looking better would be a bonus! :happy:

Can anyone relate to me? I'd love to hear from you.

Tracy

Replies

• saraht77
    Options
    Wow! ~ Tracy you are a warrior! My health issues in past haven't been as serious but
    I know who it feels have surgery & have side effects. I had a Hysterectomy 3.5 years
    ago and now finding it harder and harder to loose weight & keep it off~ and I'm only
    34, so I'm guessing it will just get even harder!

MFP REALLY works, if you are diligent in putting in your food that is 70% of weight gain!
    Best wishes! P.S. I LOVE ALASKA~!! Friend me!!
    Sarah