Crossfit & Feeling Starving

Options
Hey everyone!! I just started doing crossfit 3x a week about a month ago. I want to lose weight, but when I'm eating low calories I find my energy completely zapped and I'm starving. I'm eating more than I normally would for dieting so I won't poop out, but it's not really working. But if I eat more, I don't lose any weight. Argh.

Anyone have thoughts/comments/experience with this? Will it get better? Will I eventually get used to it, and get in better shape so that I can eat less and still get through the workouts?

Replies

• LelitaB
    Options
    You will adjust... but it is worth ensuring that you are eating enough calories for healthy weight loss. There are loads of free calculators out there if you Google... but be sure you are not lower than 1200 (female) 1500-1800 (male)

As you are eating a lower amount of food ensure EVERYTHING is high quality... natural, real, healthy foods. You don't have the spare cals for junk.... you need real food and real nutrients

All the best
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    One common mistake is underestimating how much you eat or overestimating calories burned from exercise. Maybe try being a little more meticulous about measuring your fool and try eating only 50-80% of your calories burned. Do you know what your BMR is?

Also, I noticed you are eating red meat which is highly inflammatory... try cutting it out entirely for a while and eating fatty fish like Salmon. Also try to eat more "low GI" carbs and eliminate any white sugar, sodas or white breads. Be as proactive as you can about changing your diet until you find something that works for you because everyone is different. I find that for me personally, a anti-inflammatory, low Glycemic Index diet works best for me. If you want to learn more, read the "Low GI Eating Made Easy" book by Dr. Brand-Miller
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I believe you eat grass fed beef it's not as inflammatory because of the balance of Omega-3 to Omega 6. Beef is not bad for you per se, but I would try to choose grass fed over conventional.

Crossfit is tough, you may need more calories and time for your body to adjust. Try to eat cleanly with nutrient dense foods. Avoid the processed, boxed stuff.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your workouts, but I just wondered if you've seen this article about Crossfit? I know some people that tried it for a while, and after they decided Crossfit wasn't for them, they said the article was pretty accurate

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You (from the NY Times)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all