Want Input - Reg Water Heater versus Tankless

Options
dawn_eichert
dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
Hi All

I am hoping for some input from folks on this....Looks like the water heater at home is about to die (if I don't beat the kids to the shower, I get a cold one). I am expecting over Xmas break to have to replace it. I am thinking about a Tankless Water Heater system but wanted to know if anyone has one, what they think, better than regular water heater, etc...

Thanks for the time. MFP folks are the best regardless of topic...

Replies

• sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My best friend's husband is a plumber. He swears by the tankless. That's all I got.
  • 8BaughDad
    8BaughDad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The tankless are great, but you can expect to pay $3500-$5000, depending on upgrades to the Gas service that will more than likely be needed to meet the BTU's, and a new Vent system, the old vent will not work with the new Tankless unit. 50 Gallon Gas installs from $900-$1200 depending on any City Code upgrades. If you have an Electric W/H, I would not suggest the Tankless, we have had nothing but problems with the ones we have purchased. Best of luck, hope this helps!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Have you drained the sand and sediment out of the current one? That might be all it needs. Or the elements replaced, with is a pretty cheap fix. Anyhow, I know 3 people who splurged and bought the tankless and none of them would recommend them.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    My husband and I actually talked of it once. The tankless would be great but who's gonna work on it? And how expensive would it be. I don't have to worry about it because I'm married to an appliance repair man. So I'm pretty much set up in the appliance department. Some women get shoes, while I get to go through appliances and never have to worry if they go out. He's great!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    My contractor warned against it right now because there are few who DO work on them and, as such, repairs would be pricey. My nephew has one and LOVES it. Not much help, I know.
  • Olblueiiii
    Olblueiiii Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi Dawn. I have been tankless since June, and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Yes they're expensive, and yes the installation adds substantially to the cost. I figure the energy savings will pay it all off in about 2-1/2 years.Our local propane supplier has factory trained people on staff if we ever need service. One of the things I like about it is that we have one of the small digital control boxes upstairs near the shower. You set your desired temperature on the control box, say 106 deg., and then turn on only the hot water in the shower -you don't touch the cold water. The unit heats the water to exactly 106 deg. and your shower is perfect. You don't have to mix in cold water to lower the temperature of the water you paid to heat up. It's very efficient. Later we might want to run the dishwasher, so we punch in 140 deg, on the kitchen control box. We don't need to use the heating element in the dishwasher to dry the dishes because they dry themselves in just a few minutes Feel free to message me if have questions.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    not enough info: is it gas, or electric?, or a superstore? do you have access to gas?

The old one, have you tried to adjust the temp?, is it leaking?- if no leak why replace it?

My parents just put in a tankless system and they only have 2 people and the water temp is not warm enough, they paid 4,000- it is acceptable but they would like it warmer, and it is on the highest setting.

I have 8 people using hot water, and the superstore system works great for me..