Motivation through the Holiday Season

Options
For those of you who have been through weight loss through this major holiday season, how do you cope with temptation from family made food? Both sides of my family have wonderful recipes that I have never been able to resist, and I want to be able to keep up with my weight loss program during this month.

I know my best option is to eat low calorie foods before I go to each of my relatives' houses which isn't the hard part. The hard part is spending several hours in one place with temptation all around as my full stomach dwindles away. Also, when Nich and I try explaining we're both on a weight loss plan, they say, "Can't you take a break for one day?" Which will also add to the temptation.

If I have a serving of the deserts I'd like to eat, I'd be okay. But at the same time, I feel like if I allow myself one portion I'll go back for seconds.

What are some ways you guys help yourselves stop at single portions?

Replies

• Radcliffe83
    Options
    I eat, make sure I take note (this year will mean logging on this site) and basically have a great day. Next day get back on eating to lose weight. No one gets fat in a day and no one gets fit in a day.
  • Riyanna
    Options
    Agree with Radcliffe! :) He's got a good point.
    You should check out http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com. I think she (the blog owner) has some good topics about your question ! x good luck to you both!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    My own rule is if it is something that's only served once per year, I enjoy it and don't worry about it! One or two days of indulging may keep you from losing weight that week, but it will not ruin your whole program.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    On holidays I still eat I just eat much smaller portions I did this over thanksgiving and I didn't gain a pound. I even had apple pie I just made the pie with splenda and had about 1/4 of the portion everyone else had. I am a firm believer in not depriving yourself that only leads to binge eating. I also use a smaller plate so I have to take smaller portions. Good luck.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Up your exercise for the holiday time, maybe walk to a relatives instead of driving (i know not practical if they live miles away - but you get the point hopefully) I had my works Christmas party last friday and watched what i ate (not too obsessivley) but drink got the better of me.

I was dreading the scales on Monday morning (i walked my leggs off Saturday and Sunday) and had lost 1 3/4lbs !

I can only put it down to the walking!

DONT WORRY AND HAVE FUN
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been worried about this too. but what I have done is planned out all my days, taking into consideration those days where temptation will be its highest and making them my cheat days. my goal is to lose weight over the holiday season for once in my life... or at least stay right at the weight I am. I find having a plan really works for me, and it might work for u too! then you can enjoy those indulgent days knowing you deserved them :)
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    Enjoy with moderation and go out and play! Move, do sports, burn calories!
  • chavahw
    Options
    For Thanksgiving I determined ahead of time that I would fill my plate only once and try to have 1/2 fruits and veggies (kind of hard depending on what is there) and have 2 half-servings of dessert after scanning the desserts and deciding what I REALLY wanted. I did much better than in past years, though I ended up with 3 half-servings of dessert. I also told my husband what my strategy was going to be, so I had some accountability. I blew it on the second Thanksgiving celebration, but got back on track the next day. It's important to get back on track quickly and not wallow too much in the fact that you blew it on one day.
  • TallyNick
    TallyNick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Blink said it best. Use a SMALL plate and get just a little bit of everything. Eat for the taste, not for "fullness"
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I get a good workout in the day of the event, I eat smaller, healthy meals throughout the day and drink a lot of water. Then I go to the party/whatever it is and have fun! Also, only eat things that you truly love and that are really good. If you taste something and it's just O.K., it's fine to not finish it . There is NO clean plate club! Then the next day I jump right back on the wagon with a good workout and a ton of water and good healthy eating.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out at this and was thinking the other day that I picked a heck of a month to start. LOL But, the way I see it if I can make it through the holidays with at least no gain and hopefully continuing to lose then I can do anything. January will be a breeze after this! :)

That said I'm planning to pick and choose my splurges. We have a lot of meals out in the coming weeks and I'm taking the time to research each menu before I arrive and won't go starving so I can stick to my plan. I'll also build some calories into those meals for a treat like a Blue Moon beer. We will be baking a lot of cookies with the kids and I'll indulge but I'll limit it to one or so as my afternoon snack with a cup of tea. Christmas dinner will be hard but since I'm hosting I can control some of it. The worst for me will be two days after Christmas. We are going to my IL's house and will be there from lunch through after breakfast the following day and I won't know necessarily what kind of calorie counts are being served and will be tempted by a lot. But, I've already decided that I'm not worrying about it and will just enjoy being with family and celebrating the holiday.
  • Dee1006
    Options
    Don't eat much before you go, save your calories, drink plenty of water and take small prtions of the things you love....Good Luck
  • kissoffools
    Options
    Seconding pretty much everyone else - try and take small portions, eat slowly to enjoy the treats that you love, log everything, and work your butt off when you're exercising!

Another tip would be to try and stay away from the food table if you're at a party - I know that if I'm near it (or even in the same room as it sometimes), I'll be way more tempted to overindulge. It's all about keeping busy and trying to take your mind off food once you've had your treat. :)