I think I just disproved starvation mode!

Options
2»

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Metabolism may slow with very low calorie diets but not enough to offset the laws of thermodynamics.

Firstly, congratulation on your fat loss. You must be pleased.

The above is correct. Anyone who says that fat loss stops occurring as a result of starvation mode / famine response is misguided. 1,200 calories is not a magic "once size fits all" number for chronic underfeeding either. It will depend on a number of factors given the individual.

Also, muscle preservation on a low calorie diet is of course possible depending on the set up of the individual's programming. The major component of the amount of the % of fat to muscle you lose when dieting down is actually genetic. Diet and training etc make up the rest. I note you say that you have lost no muscle but I think this is more down to measurement error than anything. May I ask how your BF% was tracked - calipers, dexa, hydrostatic testing etc? I am sure you maintained most of your muscle mass but all of it? That would be amazing.

Having said all of the above I find it strange that no mention has been made of adaptive thermogenesis has been made so far when discussing this area. Of course with all dieting RMR decreases as body weight declines. That is what we would expect. However, the problem is that with very low calorie dieting is RMR tends to decline by a greater % than that you would expect to see by mere weight loss alone. To make a long story short starvation mode is really more about what happens when you come off your diet rather than what happens when you are onit. To be glib anyone can lose weight but not everyone can keep it off for a lifetime....

Anyway, enough rambling from me. I will post an article by Tom Venuto shortly with a number of studies for you to consider over and above that by Ancel Keys.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Article below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IS STARVATION MODE A MYTH? NO! STARVATION MODE IS VERY REAL AND HERE’S THE SCIENTIFIC PROOF

QUESTION:

Tom, I was wondering if you had seen the 6 part e-mail series sent out by [name deleted] from [website deleted]. if you look at the last part, he basically states that “starvation mode” is a bunch of crap made up in order to sell diet programs. He didn’t mention you, but it almost sounds like he’s talking about you specifically. How do you feel about this?

ANSWER:

I’m afraid the person who wrote that article is mistaken about starvation mode. Not only does his article contain technical errors, but anyone who sees what kind of products he promotes will realize where all his biases come from if you simply read between the lines a little bit. The pot calls the kettle black.

He accuses those of us who use the term “starvation mode” as being unscientific and he even says “dont buy diet books if they mention the starvation mode.” Yet in a moment, it will become clear that he is the one who doesn’t appear very well read in the scientific literature on the effects of starvation and low calorie diets.
    The effects of starvation mode are indeed sometimes overblown and there are myths about the starvation mode, like it will completely “shut down” your metabolism (can’t happen - you’d be dead if your metabolism stopped), or that if you miss one meal your metabolism will crash (doesn’t happen that fast, although your blood sugar and energy levels may dip and hunger may rise).

Another myth about starvation mode is that adaptive reduction in metabolic rate (where metabolism slows down in response to decrease calorie intake) is enough to cause a plateau. That is also not true. it will cause a SLOW DOWN in progress but not a total cessation of fat loss.

As a result of these myths, I have even clarified and refined my own messages about starvation mode in the past few years because I don’t want to see people panic merely because they miss a meal or they’re using an aggressive caloric deficit at times. I find that people tend to worry about this far too much.

However, starvation response is real, it is extremely well documented and is not just a metabolic adaptation - it is also a series of changes in the brain, mediated by the hypothalamus as well as hormonal changes which induce food seeking behaviors.
    Here is just a handful of the research and the explanations that I have handy:

Ancel Key’s Minnesota starvation study is the classic work in this area, which dates back to 1950 and is still referenced to this day. In this study, there was a 40% decrease in metabolism due to 6 months of “semi-starvation” at 50% deficit.

Much or most of the decrease was due to loss of body mass, (which was much more pronounced because the subjects were not weight training), but not all of the metabolic decline could be explained simply by the loss of body weight, thus “metabolic adaptation” to starvation was proposed as the explanation for the difference.

Abdul Dulloo of the University of Geneva did a series of studies that revisited the 1300 pages of data that keys collected from this landmark study, which will not ever be repeated due to ethical considerations. (it’s not easy to do longitudinal studies that starve people, as you can imagine)
    Here’s one of those follow up studies:

“Adaptive reduction in basal metabolic rate in response to food deprivation in humans: a role for feedback signals from fat stores. Dulloo, Jaquet 1998. American journal of clinical nutrition.

Quote:

“It is well established from longitudinal studies of human starvation and semistarvation that weight loss is accompanied by a decrease in basal metabolicrate (BMR) greater than can be accounted for by the change in body weight or body composition”

“the survival value of such an energy-regulatory process that limits tissue depletion during food scarcity is obvious.”

Also, starvation mode is a series of intense food seeking behaviors and other psychological symptoms and if you do any research on the minnesota study and other more recent studies, you will find out that starvation mode as a spontaneous increase in food seeking behavior is very, very real.

Do you think sex is the most primal urge? Think again! Hunger is the most primal of all human urges and when starved, interest in everything else including reproduction, falls by the wayside until you have been re-fed.

There are even changes in the reproductive system linked to starvation mode: It makes total sense too because if you cannot feed yourself, how can you have offspring and feed them - when you starve and or when body fat drops to extremely low levels, testosterone decreases in men, and menstrual cycle stops in women.

Starvation mode is not just adaptive reduction metabolic rate - it is much more.

There IS a controversy over how much of the decrease in metabolism with weight loss is caused by starvation mode, but the case is extremely strong:
    For example, this study DIRECTLY addresses the controversy over HOW MUCH of a decrease in metabolism really occurs with starvation due to adaptive thermogenesis and how much is very simply due to a loss in total body mass.

Doucet, et al 2001. British journal of nutrition. “Evidence for the existence of adaptive thermogenesis during weight loss.”
    quote:

“It should be expected that the decrease in resting energy expenditure that occurs during weightloss would be proportional to the decrease in body substance. However, in the case of underfeeding studies, acute energy restriction can also lead to reductions in resting energy expenditure which are not entirely explained by changes in body composition.”

Starvation response is even a scientific term that is used in obesity science textbooks - word for word - CONTRARY to the claim made by the expert mentioned earlier who thinks the phrase, starvation mode is “unscientific.”

Handbook of Obesity Treatment, by wadden and stunkard
    (two of the top obesity scientists and researchers in the world )
    quote:

“The starvation response - which is an increase in food seeking behavior - is most likely mediated by the decrease in leptin associated with caloric deprivation.”

Textbooks on nutritional biochemistry also acknowledge the decrease in metabolism and distinguish it as an adaptive mechanism, distinct from the decrease in energy expenditure that would be expected with weight loss. In this case, the author also mentions another downside of very low calorie diets: spontaneous reduction in physical activity.

Biochemical And Physiological Aspects of Human Nutrition by SM. Stipanauk, professor of nutritional sciences, Cornell University (WB Saunders company, 2000)

Quote:

“During food restriction, thermic effect of food and energy expenditure decrease, as would be expected from reduced food intake and a reduction in total body mass. Resting metabolic rate, however declines more rapidly than would be expected from the loss of body mass and from the decline in spontaneous physical activity due to general fatigue.

This adaptive reduction in resting metabolic rate may be a defense against further loss of body energy stores.”
    Granted, it is more often referred to as “metabolic adaptation” or “adaptive reduction in metabolic rate.” However, starvation mode and starvation response are both terms found in the scientific literature, and they are more easily understood by the layperson, which is why I choose to use them.

Another effect of starvation mode is what happens after the diet: A sustained increase in appetite and a sustained reduction of metabolic rate that persists after the diet is over. Although controversial, this too is documented in the literature:

American Journal clinical nutrition 1997. Dulloo “post starvation hyperphagia and body fat overshooting in humans.”

American Journal Clin Nutrition 1989, Elliot et al. “Sustained depression of the resting metabolic rate after massive weight loss”
    quote:

“Resting metabolic rate of our obese subjects remained depressed after massive weight loss despite increased caloric consumption to a level that allowed body weight stabilization.”
    and Dulloo 1998:

“The reduction in thermogenesis during semistarvation persists after 12 weeks of restricted refeeding, with its size being inversely proportional to the degree of fat recovery but unrelated to the degree of fat free mass recovery.”
    By the way, this explains what some people refer to as “metabolic damage” and although this is not a scientific phrase, you can see that it too is a reality. It is the lag time between when a diet ends and when your metabolism and appetite regulating mechanisms get back to normal.

Last, but certainly not least, and perhaps the best indicator of starvation mode is the hormone LEPTIN. you could spend weeks studying leptin and still not cover all the data that has been amassed on this subject.

Leptin IS the anti starvation hormone. Some people say leptin IS the starvation mode itself because it regulates many of the negative effects that occur during starvation.

leptin is secreted mostly from fat cells and it signals your brain about your fat stores. If your fat stores diminish (danger of starvation), your leptin decreases. If your calorie intake decreases, your leptin level decreases.

When leptin decreases, it essentially sounds the starvation alarm. In response, your brain (hypothalamus) sends out signals for other hormones to be released which decrease metabolic rate and increase appetite.

In summary and conclusion:

There is no debate whatsoever about the existence of starvation mode - IT EXISTS and is well documented.
    There is also no debate whatsoever that metabolic rate decreases with weight loss. It happens and is well documented, and it is a reason for plateuas.

There’s really only ONE debate about starvation mode that is — HOW MUCH of the starvation mode is comprised of adaptive reduction in metabolic rate and how much is due to loss of total body mass and increased feeding behaviors?

Researchers are still debating these questions, in fact just earlier this year another study was releasd by Major and Doucet in the international journal of obesity called, “clinical significance of adaptive thermogenesis.”

Here’s a quote from this latest (2007) study:

“Adaptive thermogenesis is described as the decrease in energy expenditure beyond what could be predicted from the changes in fat mass or fat free mass under conditions of standardized physical activity in response to a decreased energy intake, and could represent in some individuals another factor that impedes weight loss and compromises the maintenance of a reduced body weight.”

I respect the work that other fitness professionals are trying to do to debunk diet and fitness myths, but this fellow didn’t seem to do his homework and totally missed the boat on this article about starvation mode.

What’s really odd is that he didn’t quote a single study in his article, despite his repeated reference to “scientific research.”

If he wanted to argue against adaptive reduction in metabolic rate and chalk starvation mode up purely to increase in food seeking behaviors… and if he wanted to attribute the decreased metabolism with weight loss purely to lost body mass, he easily could have done that. But he didn’t cite ANY studies. He just expects us to take his word for it that “starvation mode is a myth,” and people like me who use the phrase starvation mode are “unscientific”

Either way you argue it - and whatever you choose to call it - “starvation response” is a scientific fact and that’s why low calorie diets are risky business and mostly just quick fixes.

The rapid weight loss in the beginning is an illusion: Starvation diets catch up with you eventually… just like other habits such as smoking appear to do no harm at first, but sooner or later the damage is done.
    For years I’ve considered it so important to understand the consequences of starvation diets that my entire burn the fat program is built around helping you recover from metabolic damage from past diet mistakes, to avoid the starvation mode, or to at least keep the effects of the starvation mode to a minimum so you can lose the fat and keep the muscle.

Sincerely,
    Your friend and “Burn The fat coach”

Tom Venuto, CSCS, NSCA-CPT
    www.BurnTheFat.com
  • walbro
    walbro Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well done losing 9 pounds. It must have been particularly difficult for you as normally I find it very easy to exceed the 1200 calories I have been set. What makes a difference for me is the exercise as that allows you to eat back your calories. I also find several small meals suit me much better as I struggle with big meals - except for desserts which I always seem to be able to manage!!

I see there is great debate about whether there is such a thing as starvation mode. From experience I know that following extreme dieting it was always very easy to put on weight as soon as you finished. Whereas I have lost 18 pounds since September and changed my eating habits so am more confident the weight will stay off as I certainly feel my metabolism has increased as a result. I have lost the weight despite eating around 1400 calories and considerably more when I exercise.

But everyone is an individual and we are not medics - though it appears even they cannot agree LOL!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! And congratulations for not falling victim to the bogus myths! You're a very strong girl! I totally agree with this statement below. There are a lot of myths (which I won't go into) that I think people use as excuses.

Continue to listen to your doctor and don't be afraid to try something new. It may work for you and not for someone else.. but you would never know unless you try!
    Starvation mode is a quack, its a crutch people use in my opinion when they can't figure out what adjustments need to be made to continue progress

If one were truly starving, they would Iose weight
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I believe "starvation mode" to be a slowing of metabolism resulting from the body expecting to have a really low caloric intake, and I don't believe 1200 is necessarily a magic number, one-size-fits-all.. As such, I don't at all think your experience disproves it, in the least. But, claiming that 1200 is magic, and thinking it means you'll never lose a single lb, those are either people creating strawman arguments, which I see here often, or people misunderstanding it.

That said, you certainly are a case which needs low calories. Great job on your loss, and on 'getting' that there's not one specific way to win, and finding your own way!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think the key for me is that I am not on a diet. I have found a sustainable healthy way of eating that suits my body, and feels right for me. Which is good cos I hate dieting, and love food!
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is Crap.

You don't see too many fat people walking around in Ethiopia and from images of detention centres from Wars do you...

I am pretty certain they are under 1200 cals a day...

Not eating enought to be healthy is true, "starvation mode" is bullsh1t

This is silly. Of course you don't.
    Starvation mode is SUPPOSED to be how your body adapts to a lack of nourishment (I.e. VLCD's and to clarify that does not mean "omg I only 1199 calories today, I'm going to be in starvation mode. That would be more like 300 or less for a very prolonged period of time) In the case of children who are actually starving (and not forcing themselves too because they don't want to be fat) they would not gain weight randomly. However, if you were to take one of those children and feed them properly for a week you (in theory) would notice a higher ratio of fat storage to caloric intake. The body realizes there won't be much food around for awhile, and will make use of it as best it can. In the mind of the child's body, efficient storage would not be too burn up all those excess calories.. it would be to store them, to assist you in surviving until you may eat again. Your body adapts to protect and save you, it doesn't want you to be fat.... it wants you to stay alive. Those children will not EVER appear fat, because they never have part 2 of the equation. That doesn't mean their bodies aren't starving for nourishment.

With all that being said, if you truly did "damage" your metabolism by choice, there are ways to "fix" it without gaining fat. You just have to be smart about it.
  • BuffyKicksButt
    Options
    Metabolism may slow with very low calorie diets but not enough to offset the laws of thermodynamics.

Firstly, congratulation on your fat loss. You must be pleased.

The above is correct. Anyone who says that fat loss stops occurring as a result of starvation mode / famine response is misguided. 1,200 calories is not a magic "once size fits all" number for chronic underfeeding either. It will depend on a number of factors given the individual...................

Well said!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is Crap.

You don't see too many fat people walking around in Ethiopia and from images of detention centres from Wars do you...

Starvation mode is SUPPOSED to be how your body adapts to a lack of nourishment (I.e. VLCD's and to clarify that does not mean "omg I only 1199 calories today, I'm going to be in starvation mode. That would be more like 300 or less for a very prolonged period of time) In the case of children who are actually starving (and not forcing themselves too because they don't want to be fat) they would not gain weight randomly. However, if you were to take one of those children and feed them properly for a week you (in theory) would notice a higher ratio of fat storage to caloric intake. The body realizes there won't be much food around for awhile, and will make use of it as best it can. In the mind of the child's body, efficient storage would not be too burn up all those excess calories.. it would be to store them, to assist you in surviving until you may eat again. Your body adapts to protect and save you, it doesn't want you to be fat.... it wants you to stay alive. Those children will not EVER appear fat, because they never have part 2 of the equation. That doesn't mean their bodies aren't starving for nourishment.

With all that being said, if you truly did "damage" your metabolism by choice, there are ways to "fix" it without gaining fat. You just have to be smart about it.
    This, 100% correct. Starvation mode is a slowing of your metabolism, beyond just being a lower weight. Does it cause weight loss to slow and stop? Eventually, because eventually you will lose enough weight and your metabolism will adapt enough that the extreme low levels you are eating become your new maintenance level. 1200 is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Some people need less, some people substantially more, hence 1200 being a guideline for "average" women.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is Crap.

This, 100% correct. Starvation mode is a slowing of your metabolism, beyond just being a lower weight. Does it cause weight loss to slow and stop? Eventually, because eventually you will lose enough weight and your metabolism will adapt enough that the extreme low levels you are eating become your new maintenance level. 1200 is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Some people need less, some people substantially more, hence 1200 being a guideline for "average" women.

And this is why I say it is Crap. Anyone who is on here warning people about "starvation mode" when someone mentions eating 1000cal one day or missing dinner etc is a moron. The studies showed a 50% BMR diet for 12 weeks! Not for a day or even two days! You WILL NOT go into Starvation Response unless you are doing it on purpose for a very long time, but you will still continue to lose weight even though your metabolism is slowing. Eating ultra low then binging is another matter all together. If you eat normally then binge you will gain weight. 1200 is Bunk. A 6 foot woman will clearly need more than 1200 and a 5 foot woman could definatley be healthy on much less.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is Crap.

And this is why I say it is Crap. Anyone who is on here warning people about "starvation mode" when someone mentions eating 1000cal one day or missing dinner etc is a moron. The studies showed a 50% BMR diet for 12 weeks! Not for a day or even two days! You WILL NOT go into Starvation Response unless you are doing it on purpose for a very long time, but you will still continue to lose weight even though your metabolism is slowing. Eating ultra low then binging is another matter all together. If you eat normally then binge you will gain weight. 1200 is Bunk. A 6 foot woman will clearly need more than 1200 and a 5 foot woman could definatley be healthy on much less.
    Totally, but that means those people are 1. misguided, 2. "morons," or 3. creating a strawman argument.
    It doesn't mean "starvation mode" itself is not real in terms of slowing metabolism as a very real physiological response .
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    It's a shame the "misguided" don't educate themselves and stop wagging the finger of doom at people who have their net intake set under 1200. That's why I closed my food diary. I know what I eat is right for me, and got fed up (bad pun!) with those people passing judgment and declaring I would be a fat storing machine!