Work Calories

Options
I work in retail. Out of curiosity I wore my HRM at work and discovered I burn 2000 calories over my resting calories while at work. (So basically I burn 2800 calories whereas I would normally burn 800 calories in that time while sitting still and doing little)

? Should I be inputting this as exercise? It's not an everyday thing. I only work at the till one day of the week, the rest of the time I'm in office.

I've been restricting my calorie intake for about three months now (eating exercise calories minus resting calories) and I have been feeling really tired so I'm wondering if this large gap in calorie intake might be the cause of my abnormal tiredness (no there's nothing medically wrong with me at this point).

Thanks for your help in advance.:smokin:

Replies

• sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    I work in retail. Out of curiosity I wore my HRM at work and discovered I burn 2000 calories over my resting calories while at work. (So basically I burn 2800 calories whereas I would normally burn 800 calories in that time while sitting still and doing little)

? Should I be inputting this as exercise? It's not an everyday thing. I only work at the till one day of the week, the rest of the time I'm in office.

I've been restricting my calorie intake for about three months now (eating exercise calories minus resting calories) and I have been feeling really tired so I'm wondering if this large gap in calorie intake might be the cause of my abnormal tiredness (no there's nothing medically wrong with me at this point).

Thanks for your help in advance.:smokin:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Try NOT subtracting those BMR cals. I don't. On your retail days maybe eat some more but not 2000 extra!!!! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty active job. What did you set your activity level at when you started?? I would probably make sure it is set to moderately active or very active. That will increase your base calories - but not by 2000. Should give you enough extra to have energy, then when you exercise, log that and eat back most of those calories back. :flowerforyou:
  • sniffles
    Options
    Try NOT subtracting those BMR cals. I don't. On your retail days maybe eat some more but not 2000 extra!!!! Good luck!:flowerforyou:

I couldn't eat 2000 extra if I wanted. Well... I could but I vowed not to have pizza pops anymore. :bigsmile:
  • sniffles
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty active job. What did you set your activity level at when you started?? I would probably make sure it is set to moderately active or very active. That will increase your base calories - but not by 2000. Should give you enough extra to have energy, then when you exercise, log that and eat back most of those calories back. :flowerforyou:

Most of the time I'm just a data entry girl but sometimes I get to do stock and during those hours I'm lifting stuff, walking around, etc. I didn't think it was as much as my HRM is telling me it is but apparently ... it is! Haha.

I don't know... where I'm getting hung up is that I'm only having those active days once a week.. Is that enough to change my lifestyle setting really?
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Well, that'd be a no! Maybe just eat a little extra the day before you're doing all that and during that day, if you can. Are you only tired then or are you really tired all the time?? What is your basic calorie allotment?
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try just logging it as exercise that day? I know that when I have a heavy exercise day, I am more hungry the next day than usual. I would probably not eat 2000 cals to make up for it, but I would probably eat a little more good carbs and protein on those days to give yourself the extra fuel you need.

If you log it as exercise and then use the notes section on your food guide to log your energy and hunger levels on the day of and maybe the day after, it will give you some personal measures of the relationship of how you are feeling and your heavy workload days. Tuning into how your body works is always a good thing.
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If that's not your typical day, I would probably count it for exercise instead. If you did it at least 3 days a week, you'd probably have to go in and adjust your lifestyle, but as it is, I'd leave it alone. And then maybe you'll feel better if you eat more calories - your body probably needs them. Of couse, this is just my opinion, what I would do... Good luck! :happy:
  • sniffles
    Options
    Well, that'd be a no! Maybe just eat a little extra the day before you're doing all that and during that day, if you can. Are you only tired then or are you really tired all the time?? What is your basic calorie allotment?

I'm set at 1300 cals per day (they say 1260 but whatever ;). I've been tired since I started this weight loss thing. Basically from the first week I started cutting back calories to now. I've also been losing a steady two pounds a week since I started as well.

The thing is I'm not terribly hungry during, before or after, but I guess I need to change something up.

Admittedly my protein levels are really low. I never thought of protein as important for me. hmmm...
  • MTGirl
    Options
    If I were you - I would change my setting to reflect wanting to lose 1 lb per week. 1260 - 1300 calories is not enough to give you the fuel you need. Have a go at that for 3 - 4 weeks and see if you don't have more energy. You should still consistantly lose weight. Give it a little time and don't freak out if the first week or two you don't lose or show a slight gain. I would think you should be o.k. though. :flowerforyou:
  • sniffles
    Options
    If I were you - I would change my setting to reflect wanting to lose 1 lb per week. 1260 - 1300 calories is not enough to give you the fuel you need. Have a go at that for 3 - 4 weeks and see if you don't have more energy. You should still consistantly lose weight. Give it a little time and don't freak out if the first week or two you don't lose or show a slight gain. I would think you should be o.k. though. :flowerforyou:

Hm. I suppose I could give it a try. I'm in this for the long run so a slower loss rate isn't the end of the world.
  • MTGirl
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/44693-tami-s-secret-to-skinny

If you haven't seen this post yet - you should read it. She is very inspirational and it may help you!

This was her post when she made her goal weight:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/35883-i-did-it secret-to-skinny">