Ladies - protein after workouts?????

Options
2»

Replies

• juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I will have shake the days I am lifting at the gym or if I do any runs longer than 6 miles.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It depends on the workout i'm doing and the time of day. A morning workout i will drink a protein shake, an evening workout i will have chicken or fish with dinner
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I do a protein shake if I am using weights. I usually do some type of food with protein in it after doing cardio like a boiled egg, nuts, peanut butter, etc. My shake only has 80 calories in it and it taste pretty good. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I tend to work out before a meal, can I just stick with eating that meal? (Which most probably has some form of protein in it, just how much protein do we need?)
  • JenelleCorey
    JenelleCorey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1 cup 1% Chocolate Milk
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the info!!!!! I am going to make sure I get in my protein 30-60 minutes after my running class tonight!
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    I tend to work out before a meal, can I just stick with eating that meal? (Which most probably has some form of protein in it, just how much protein do we need?)
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    carbs protein at 4:1 ratio for recovery preferably half hour post exercise two hours at most

By the way why Ladies?
  • amberpryor
    Options
    Here is a nice article in the popular press on the topic:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-02-11-protein-recovery_N.htm

This article says that it's important to have carbs WITH protein. And there is debate about the ratio. But it also says that eating this within 30-40 minutes of your workout is very important, and eating it within 10 minutes of the workout would is TWICE as good!

Depending on when I work out, if it's right before a meal, I just count the meal as my recovery food. But if it's no where close to a meal, I'll have a snack (aimed for 150 calories) of something like vanilla yogurt with berries, chocolate milk, or an apple with peanut butter. I've never tried any of the fitness drinks/shakes, but I figure it's got to be best for my body to use real food when possible.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    After every workout, running, pumping iron, whatever I have greek yogurt and add one cup of raspberries and a Tbs of honey. Perfect meal. I also eat a little something before every workout, I find I workout better when I do! Hope this helps.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake after workouts. My trainer says to get it in within about 30 minutes for the best benefit. I also have a Hydro Builder shake before bed on heavy workout days.
  • Demwitted
    Options
    I only have them when the workout I did could make me sore. It helps rebuild muscles so you are not as achy and stiff the next day. Within 30 minutes of the workout will give you the most relief.

I don't drink them otherwise b/c I do not like them. The only one I found that I can stomach is EAS low carb french vanilla.
  • mpbfmom
    mpbfmom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Cheese stick or tuna in a pouch. Sometimes I meet some veggies with it as well.