Chia seeds help to fill a person up...

Options
eeebee
eeebee Posts: 471 Member
(as part of a balanced diet)....is this really true?

If so, how long does it take to feel the "full" effect? I have combined a couple of teaspoons of raw chia seeds (drank them down with 300ml water) with my lunch today in the hope that I dont crave any snacks for the next few hours like I usually do.

NB. I'd love to know if it was actually worth the money I paid because I haven't yet noticed much of a difference in my apetite since I started taking the seeds every day since Friday last week.

Replies

• Sallycinnimon
    Sallycinnimon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them, but I had heard they expand in your stomache to make you feel full. Let us know if it ends up working for you! I'm interested!
  • babykanguruh
    Options
    I tried them, but I didn't really think it was worth it. Hopefully someone else will have had a better experience!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    They have lots of Omega-3 which is why I use them. I usually just add them to oats, smoothies, etc.

If you really want them to fill you up, you should probably let them sit in water for a few minutes before eating them. When they touch the water they make a gel, which is the filling effect.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Chia adds bulk and their good for you. Not so much for the omega 3's (considering the omega 3's are ALA) but the micronutrients, which are hard to beat, especially for women.
  • eeebee
    Options
    I tried soaking them in water a couple days ago, it was disgusting! :sick:

Quite like frog spawn, and I dont think I could do that again - surely if I drink them with plenty of water, it will have the same effect but internally, in my stomach, as opposed to having to stomach it as a drink?
  • kmetcalf2011
    Options
    Is there a difference between black and white chia seeds???
  • eeebee
    Options
    I asked the same thing a few months ago - apparently there isn't.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I really haven't noticed them filling me up at all. Actually, though it may be my imagination, I think they make me hungrier! But, they are full of iron and other nutrients, which is great.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The key for me with Chia seeds is it eliminates unhealthy sources of fiber. Chia seed, depending on who you get it from, has about 8 grams of fiber in it. Which is much more the bread. Since most bread is made with bleached flour, this is a much better source for fiber in the diet. To get the same amount of fiber from 2 Tbs of 60 calorie Chia seed you have to eat about 400 calories of bleached flour bread. So you can see this gives the body the fiber it needs, which helps but does not stop the body from feeling full, in much less calories, giving you more choice on what to eat during the day. Also, if you don't get enough sleep or water your body will still feel hungry. I find chia seeds are good to add to food over the day to get a fuller feeling after eating something instead of that "I'm still hungry feeling". I find when I take just 2 Tbs i am hungry an hour or so later, but that is probably because I only had a small amount of calories. I mix it in orange juice and do ok through the morning, and do much better with a light snack in the morning.

Chia is high in Omega 3, ALA which is not the same as fish. But the body does convert ALA to EPA but it is still unclear how it does this and to what extent. Still Omega 3 is good for you and with a modern diet, it is unlikely you get enough Omega 3 without trying too. The current thought is you have to eat more ALA so it can convert it to EPA and DHA, which isn't a problem with the Chia seed since it gives you almost 4 grams in 2 Tbs. Most fish barely does 1 gram of omega 3, in pill form. Also an egg will give you alot of DHA and is another good form of Omega 3 if you are looking for Omega 3.

There is no difference between black and white chia seed known to date.
  • kmetcalf2011
    Options
    Thanks for the info! :o)
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I tried soaking them in water a couple days ago, it was disgusting! :sick:

I mix them in with plain greek yogurt and let them sit a few minutes. Tastes fine to me.

As long as you check the factory/production line, they're safe for celiac's (like me) to eat and a great source of fiber and protein.
  • eeebee
    Options
    thanks - might give it a whirl, mix in a few strawbs, bloobs and honey & blend.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    They fill me up and are healthy.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Started using these today, they have filled me up. Not entirely sure how much I should be having though as it don't say on the packet.
  • Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    Options
    I mix mine in my yogurt @ breakfast. Very good. & I find they fill me up.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I mix mine in my yogurt @ breakfast. Very good. & I find they fill me up.

How much do you have a day? I heard 2 table spoons?

I've been mixing it in smoothies and yogurt
  • rmaynard310
    rmaynard310 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been using Chia seeds for the last month to get that "full" feeling that the clerk at the Vitamin Shoppe said I would experience. I usually put a scoop into my oatmeal at breakfast at 7:00am. Now instead of feeling hungry at 11:00 in the morning as I was prior to the seeds, I am feeling hungry at 9:00am. And the hunger is worse.

In my opinion, if you are using them for a "full" feeling, forget it. It's not going to happen, At least it hasn't for me. If you are taking them for the nutritional benefits, then go right ahead.

Me personally, I am going to discontinue them as soon as the jar is empty.
  • osucristina30
    Options
    Agreed, the "full" feeling was some diet guru's idea. I don't feel full when I use them at all. In fact, I've scrapped chia seeds all together, you can get nutrients else where that aren't "trendy" or as expensive.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love chia, but I can't say I've really eaten them just to try to curb hunger.
    I'll put them in my smoothies, mix a bit into yogurt, or make an orange/cardamom 'pudding' with them. Sometimes, I'll just knock back a tbsp. with a chug of water.
    Maybe it's psychosomatic, but I get some sort of happy, bouncy boost from them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They fill me up and are healthy.

i'd rather just eat steak.

my coworker eats them- I can imagine what they taste like (he chews on his) and I just can't. no thanks. I like eating my food. whole food. like steak.

and bacon.
    and eggs.