Runners: foam roller/the stick? suggestions needed

Options
2»

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your SUPER quick and informative responses! From how my body feels after running, sounds like I could also benefit from both. I just went ahead and ordered the Sprinter Stick as well as a high density foam roller :-) can't wait to get then, already feeling like I could use a massage haha
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    I have both - helps you pinpoint different areas.

hard foam roller and I have a Tiger Tail - recommended by my PT.

Ditto, we have both. if it's one or the other go for the roller. I don't know the brand, it's big and black and was recommended by the personal training company at my gym.
    Two things...
    1. I don't run that much, but I get really sore so I'll have to look into the "stick" I used foam rollers and they helped a bit, but not much.

2. Are we sure we're talking about something to help with sore muscles? lol
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    I use the foam roller and it has been a blessing in my life. I use it for my piriformis muscle and it has relieved ongoing constant pain.
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Funny this topic showed up!

I just ordered "the Stick" and it should be arriving tomorrow. I currently foam roll but want something to REALLY loosen my calves.

Also, "foot rubz" foot massage balls are awesome after runs. Pop them in the fridge or freezer for a nice cool treat on the feet.

oh my gosh...foot rubz...I had never heard of these but my feet are almost always the one place that is sore! lol...need to get me some! May pick up a rolling pin as well ;)
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When I started using mine, I did a lot of reading up on it. One of the recommendations is that you don't just roll over it. When you hit a spot of extreme tension, let it sit there for a bit until the pain starts to subside. The muscle will relax naturally.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I do it old school and on the cheap. I use a wooden dough roller.

never thought of that! great idea!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have a double thump massage tool - it was about $100, which is more expensive than a foam foller, but I've had my massage therapist and physical therapist both told me this was better than a foam roller and worth the investment.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I do it old school and on the cheap. I use a wooden dough roller.

never thought of that! great idea!

This is my second tool as well. Everyone that comes to my home laughs at the rolling pin by my chair, thinking I must be chasing DH around the house or beating the kids with it :) LOL.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've been using a foam roller, and it is fantastic for my quads but after about a month it wasn't doing much for my IT bands any more. I use a tennis ball now for my IT bands and good GOD does it hurt, though it does the job. Thinking of investing in a stick to make it easier to wield...the tennis ball is a bit awkward.
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    agreed! I have The Grid TP roller and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
    -Andi
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    agreed! I have The Grid TP roller and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
    -Andi
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Tennis balls, soft balls all do the trick on the cheap too.
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've got a Sprinter stick, its really good. I use it on my calfs, quads and hams.

I've also got a foam roller which is better for ITB and glutes. I wouldn't be without either.

Yeah, I've heard that they both serve different purposes, I've got the roller but will soon be getting the stick as well.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Tennis balls, soft balls all do the trick on the cheap too.

I also use a lacrosse ball on my hip flexors and bottoms of my feet.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I have a ball that I use for my feet (from when I was in dance) but what is the stick and foam roller? Where do I get them and about how much do they cost?
  • johndawson22
    Options
    Love muscle rollers feels great on my calves! I prefer a handheld muscle roller anyone else?
    http://zzathletics.com/Golf-Ball-Muscle-Roller-20-GBMR1.htm
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Get both!!!

I have a high-density roller which I use regularly as my calves especially can get tight rather quickly - plus I foudn it helped with my flexibility training.

My PT used The Stick on my quad once when I was being treated for various knee injuries but I much prefer my Tiger Tail which I will bring along in my gym bag or even my backpack if I have a busy/highly active day and know that I'll be paying for it sometime soon...Tiger tail has 2 versions. the regular size fits well in my bag but they also have a travel size