one can of tuna, zero ideas

Options
I have one can of tuna, and have no idea what to make for lunch -- I'm out of mayo, greek yogurt, and mustard.

Any suggestions?
:huh:

Replies

• coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I've just been dumping a pouch of tuna on my salad and adding a little pepperjack cheese.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Togos
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Tasty Tuna Cakes leave out the mayo.
    Yield – 4 servings

Preparation Time – 10 minutes

Cooking Time – 10 minutes

Ingredients
    3 cans of tuna
    2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
    1/3 cup of bread crumbs (I like Italian style)
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    cooking spray
    parsley for garnish (optional)
    Directions
    Open up all of your cans of tuna, drain the liquid out, and place the tuna in a bowl. Break up the big chunks so the tuna is all roughly the same size.
    Add your eggs, mayo, bread crumbs, lemon juice and a bit of salt and pepper (you can add more salt and pepper after it’s cooked so don’t put too much now)
    Heat up a pan on the stove or an electric griddle (I always do mine on the griddle so I can cook them all at once!), spray with cooking spray
    Form into 8 patties and cook about 2-3 minutes per side. Sprinkle with some parsley to garnish (I prefer dry, but you can use fresh as well)
  • horsiegall
    Options
    What about in a salad
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Spice it up - I like lemon pepper spice and then put it on a sandwich with tomato, cucumber, celery, or whatever veggies you have.

It also goes well with egg on a bagel or with cheese on a bread slice (think open faced tuna sandwich).
  • yogaheart18
    Options
    do you have spinach? using pam, saute mushrooms and onions in a pan or griddle-place on spinach. Top with tuna (and nuts or craisins if you would like). Balsamic Vinagerette goes great or asian sesame dressing... this salad is so yummy and all less then 200/250 depending on amount of toppings
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yield – 4 servings

Ingredients
    3 cans of tuna
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    cooking spray
    Directions
    Open up all of your cans of tuna, drain the liquid out, and place the tuna in a bowl. Break up the big chunks so the tuna is all roughly the same size.
    Add your eggs, mayo, bread crumbs, lemon juice and a bit of salt and pepper (you can add more salt and pepper after it’s cooked so don’t put too much now)
    Heat up a pan on the stove or an electric griddle (I always do mine on the griddle so I can cook them all at once!), spray with cooking spray
    Form into 8 patties and cook about 2-3 minutes per side. Sprinkle with some parsley to garnish (I prefer dry, but you can use fresh as well)

Sounds good, out of breadcrumbs now but I'll save this for later.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Maybe mix with whatever variety of veggies you like, some whole wheat pasta and some olive oil.
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I eat mine as is with some crackers....triscuits are my favorite. :o)
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Spice it up - I like lemon pepper spice and then put it on a sandwich with tomato, cucumber, celery, or whatever veggies you have.

It also goes well with egg on a bagel or with cheese on a bread slice (think open faced tuna sandwich).

Diddo!
    I'm going with an open faced sandwich, broiled in the oven.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions; drinks on me.
    :drinker:
  • Chika85
    Chika85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like looking at foodgawker for recipes and then making a healthier version for myself. They definitely have tuna recipes.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and lemon juice with some fresh ground pepper.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    This is what I do

1 can of tuna
    olive oil
    lemon, i like a lot so usually i use a whole lemon
    tomato - chopped in quarters
    cucumber

Instead of using bread use lettuce leaves, I like romain I feel it has more taste than iceburg and enjoy! If you have pickles or jalapeneos i usually put these on the side.

mm mm goodness!!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i mix it with avacado instead of mayo....YUM!
  • sycarroll
    sycarroll Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No sure what you have, but maybe mix the tuna with chopped tomatoes and add pasta (see the link for details)

http://tastyrecipesandotherstuff.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/spaghetti-with-tuna-and-tomato-sauce-spaghetti-al-tonno-e-pomodoro/
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Yield – 4 servings

Ingredients
    3 cans of tuna
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    cooking spray
    Directions

Sounds good, out of breadcrumbs now but I'll save this for later.

You can use any grainy sort of thing to hold them together-- rice, oatmeal, quinoa, etc.

Also -

Tuna+tomato paste+lemon juice+olive oil+ capers+black olives+onions+S&P is a yummy spread or sandwich filling.

I make a pasta sauce with tuna, smashed up anchovies, diced tomatoes, onions.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    tuna + rice + parmesan cheese sprinkled on top
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just mix mine with salsa usually, but at the suggestion of someone on MFP, I added pineapple the other day, and it was so good I just ate it again for lunch today!
  • Julieothree
    Julieothree Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    it's good mixed in with brown rice
  • StabbyParks
    StabbyParks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Open-Faced Tuna & Artichoke Melts - serves 2

4 oz can water-packed tuna, drained & flaked
    3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
    1/2 c canned artichoke hearts without oil, drained & chopped
    1/4 scallions, chopped
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 whole-wheat english muffins, split

Mix all ingredients and divide evenly on muffin halves and broil for 5 minutes.

Super easy and delicious!