Running or elliptical?

Options
Hello peeps! I've been reading many articles that say that there is no difference in calorie burn between the two, but that the treadmill might be easier to speed up on and adjust to one's athletic ability.
I'm not sure whether this is all true or not, but I feel like I feel my entire body after running, everything has been "shaking up and down" and makes me feel like I burned more fat. While I'm on the elliptical I feel that I don't put that much effort into the workout, and the workout seems easy.
Everyone's thoughts? Wht do you prefer? How would I make the elliptical settings more challenging?

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I was on an elliptical the majority of the time I was losing weight. Just turn up the resistance and incline if it seems too easy. I may start switching over to more running though. Running is a HELL of a workout for my legs, which I really need at the moment. I feel I've been neglecting them.
  • cayadear
    cayadear Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I feel like I work my entire body out more on the elliptical. Running is way easier for me, but that may be because I used to run a lot when I was in high school.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do both.. and I feel like the elliptical is an easier workout.... I can run on the treadmill non-stop for about 25 minutes.. can do the elliptical for over an hour.. so tha's how I gauge it...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They work different muscles. I discovered this first-hand after spending mucho time on the elliptical when it was too cold, then running when it warmed up.

Ouch! (But good ouch.)

I would do both.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I do both.. and I feel like the elliptical is an easier workout.... I can run on the treadmill non-stop for about 25 minutes.. can do the elliptical for over an hour.. so tha's how I gauge it...
    The elliptical feels easier because it's low to no impact, but if you wear a HRM, you'll find the calorie burn/effort is the same.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    They work different muscles. I discovered this first-hand after spending mucho time on the elliptical when it was too cold, then running when it warmed up.

Ouch! (But good ouch.)

I would do both.

Agreed. I run 3-4 days per week and use the elliptical the other days. I feel like I get a better workout from running in a shorter amount of time, but I get a good workout on the elliptical, too, and it keeps me from getting bored.
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I will stick to both, but have recently been ont he running kick :)

Are heart rate monitors convenient and easy to use? Any recommendations?
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Are heart rate monitors convenient and easy to use? Any recommendations?

Polar FT4 for the win! :drinker:
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have to use the elliptical. I get really bad motion sickness whenever I run on the treadmill. It's just a little bad while I'm running but when I step off it's awful. It doesn't matter if I gradually slow my speed down either. Anyone else have problems with this? Or Solutions? I'd love to be able to run.
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I actually do both!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As a runner I love to crosstrain with spinning and swimming, but I never touch an elliptical, because I never feel a burn like I do with other exercies. Obviously you are buring calories and a great way to find that out is with a HRM as many will tell you. Typically with running you will average around 100 calories per mile depending on body weight no matter how fast or slow you run. The key I feel is that you are working out. Mixing up your exerices is wonderful!

Tons of different HRM out there. I just bought my husband the Garmin 405 forerunner, but they sell more basic ones.
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have to use the elliptical. I get really bad motion sickness whenever I run on the treadmill. It's just a little bad while I'm running but when I step off it's awful. It doesn't matter if I gradually slow my speed down either. Anyone else have problems with this? Or Solutions? I'd love to be able to run.

Do you eat anything before a workout? And what time do you usually work out?

I have a problem with running outside, I feel like I can't breathe right.

Maybe if you have a small amount of protein right before a run you would not feel as dizzy?
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Since I have tendonitis in both of my knees I use ellipticals because they're low impact. But I still get a helluva workout, lol! Like someone else said, if the elliptical seems to easy, up the settings. Crank up that resistance and push yourself to go faster. Hope this helps! Happy Fitness!

Oh and I'd suggest getting your run on outside before it gets too icey and snowy :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I feel like I work my entire body out more on the elliptical. Running is way easier for me, but that may be because I used to run a lot when I was in high school.

Same but don;t get anywhere near the same burn....can run way faster! Feels less awkward too... Cycling burns slightly less than elliptical for me but I do it as my cross training to running because of the fact there's no body weight acting through my joints so takes some of the stress off!
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    Let me preface my response with.. I consider myself a total newbie when it comes to running...

I feel like I get a more "complete" work out when I run.. I'm sure part of that is the impact, but it also forces me to engage more muscles. With the elliptical, I just don't get that feeling.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I prefer and get better results from the real thing.
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Do you eat anything before a workout? And what time do you usually work out?

I have a problem with running outside, I feel like I can't breathe right.

Maybe if you have a small amount of protein right before a run you would not feel as dizzy?

I eat about 30 min before a workout and time of day depends on when I can get a workout in. I get motion sickness in cars, planes, boats. Heck I can't even play 1st person video games or I get sick. I was thinking about taking a motion sickness pill before I ran, those really help in in vehicles but since they make me super tired it might be counter productive.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The elliptical ALWAYS tells me I'm burning more calories on the treadmill. It's also easier for me to go fast and longer on the elliptical because it's lower impact and doesn't hurt my knees. Also, my tatas don't hit me in the face. Lol. I sweat a lot more on the elliptical too!
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    I prefur the elliptical because it's not so hard on my legs and it doesn't drain everything out of me. On the elliptical I raise the incline to as high as it will go, in my case 20, and then put the resistance up to whatever i feel like I can do for 30 minutes straight. Sometimes I increase the resistance as I go. I also do the treadmill though. It takes a lot more out of me. But I burn more calories on the elliptical. for the treadmill I do interval training where I walk at 3.5 for 1 minute and then run at 6 for 2 minutes. It seems to work for me!
  • Whatamilike
    Options
    Elliptical trainer will give you a good low impact workout - don't rely on the calorie counter at the gym though - they always overestimate your burn. I only used the gym when I was injured - but I love running! basically as long as you're exercising and enjoying it, what does it matter...?