Food scales?

Options
Those who weigh their food. Is there a certain brand and/or model you recommend? I don't have much storage or counter space so something small would be best!

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I started with one that I bought from a smoke shop. It measured in grams.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Mine is a digital food scale made by Taylor and sold in Target. I think the 'biggest loser' food scale is actually the exact same one only with the BL logo on the box. LOL You can measure in both grams and ounces and switch very easily between the two. Not sure if that is standard on all of them or not.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I got a digital one from Target for about $25. It's about an inch tall; very slim and I keep it on it's side against the side of my cupboard. It can weight up to 11lbs, and will weigh in grams or ounces. It has a glass surface so I put on a bowl, zero it out, and weigh... or put on a piece of wax paper, zero it out, and weigh. It works well.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    Look on Amazon.com.

A good one will measure in grams and ounces, and top out at about 10 lbs, costing about $20-25.
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I bought the Paula Dean food scale at Walmart.

I'm not looking for super precise though. I wanted learn what ounces looked like in food :)

I still use my scale many times a week for weighing meat so that I know I'm getting the right amount.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Anything digital, with a nice wide top, metric and Imperial, with a Tare function. I have a BL; it was about the same price as the Taylor.
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have just a little scale with a analog dial. It comes with a little dish that sits on top but I typically just use a tupperware container or plastic plate on top. It has a little manual dial to zero it out. I suppose having a digital one that will zero out automatically and hold a big plate would be easier, but likely not worth the counter space or the $$!
  • GuillaineC
    GuillaineC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a Digital Biggest Loser Food Scale and I love it! It can measure in grams or ounces. And it is amazing. I bought it from Bed, Bath and Beyond! Less than $20!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have the digital one from Target as well, and it works really well. I absolutely love it, and miss it when I am eating out :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Eat Smart digital from amazon $25.00. Love it and it is so thin I can hide it anywhere. Have had it for over a year and it works great.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Gads, I got mine back in the early 70's (no it is not digital- it is spring with adjustment wheel) it measures ounces and grams and has worked for me great (though there were many years it just sat in the cupoard). Have to use a little container on top so I can't measure huge portions. LOL
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I started with one that I bought from a smoke shop. It measured in grams.

:bigsmile: smoke shop huh?
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have the BL one too and it is still accurate after 4 years. I like to stick my plate right on it and then zero it out between adding things on my plate so I am not having to get the scale dirty or measure from several different containers or measuring cups. When I do put things right on the scale, I like that you can pull off the glass top and stick it in the dishwasher.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a Digital Biggest Loser Food Scale and I love it! It can measure in grams or ounces. And it is amazing. I bought it from Bed, Bath and Beyond! Less than $20!

WOW, great deal I bought my Mom one of these when you started WW and it cost $40.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have a digital starfrit. it works well and switches units too. grams, oz, etc. pretty good! and i think it was under $30.
  • rainedays86
    rainedays86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a scale I got from Walmart for like 6.00 it's just simple, measures oz and has a measuring cup on top. It's small so it fits anywhere and functional. I don't need fancy gadgets. lol
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Eat Smart digital from amazon $25.00. Love it and it is so thin I can hide it anywhere. Have had it for over a year and it works great.

I bought this one and love it!
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mine is a digital food scale from Target and cost $35-$40. It reads in oz and grams. Best thing I ever bought. I weigh EVERYTHING. Definitely worth the investment!
  • timingsands
    Options
    I'm getting a second scale for work. Digital, less than $10, free shipping.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital-pocket-scale-2lb-1kg-1165

Unfortunately shipping takes two weeks but the price makes it worth while...they have a $20 heart rate monitor that comes with a chest strap, too. I've been pretty happy with their products so far...
  • starpulp
    starpulp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Any ol' scale will work as long as it can do grams and ounces. If its a small scale, weigh the container first, zero out the scale, and then put your food in that container. That will allow you to use a smaller scale regardless of food size. (Plus it keeps your scale clean)

My food scale was the best thing I think I ever bought! I got mine for free thru some Speigel Catalog discount.