Plateau advice?

Options
124»

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Thank you 4theking! I'm going to try this a see how my body responds. :smile:

One more question, if you don't mind? Should we focus on macronutrients while eating the added calories? Like keeping fat lower, protein where it is (1g per lbm in my case), and just upping carbs a lot? Or is leptin all about calories and not necessarily what kind of calories?

Thanks again!

Great question, it's all about the carbs. Carbs control leptin and the conversion of the thyroid hormone t4 to t3. Keep protein levels the same or a bit less than a normal day and consume lots of carbs.

Weeeeeee! "Guilt free" buttermilk pancakes for my afternoon snack ... here I come! :laugh:

Enjoy!!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    BUMP.
  • Madiann
    Madiann Posts: 177
    Options
    Bump
  • 4theking
    Options
    Thank you 4theking! I'm going to try this a see how my body responds. :smile:

One more question, if you don't mind? Should we focus on macronutrients while eating the added calories? Like keeping fat lower, protein where it is (1g per lbm in my case), and just upping carbs a lot? Or is leptin all about calories and not necessarily what kind of calories?

Thanks again!

Great question, it's all about the carbs. Carbs control leptin and the conversion of the thyroid hormone t4 to t3. Keep protein levels the same or a bit less than a normal day and consume lots of carbs.

And that also might explain why a blood workup when I got pregnant with my 2nd child discovered a slight underactive thyroid. I had never had thyroid issues in my life, but had been on a lower carb diet prior to conceiving. Interesting! Thanks!

Yes, calorie restriction and/or low carb diets may show low thyroid hormone levels. This is one of the causes of what some people call starvation mode.
  • empressM
    Options
    Love this.

I did something similar while doing the "Slow Carb" diet. That worked for awhile, but I think I was consuming too many calories in general (you can eat as much as you want of the approved foods, basically protein, legumes and veggies). And, on my "dieter's gone wild" day I would go NUTS! Seriously, on some binge days I must have eaten/drank over 5,000 calories.

I am going to try this--keeping my calories on all other days within my 1,300-1,500 range. I'll still be netting below my MFP allotted calories with exercise on those days. Then, I'll eat 2,400 or so calories once a week and won't eat back any exercise calories (my BMR is 1,180).

Does that sound about right? Looking at my food diary, would you recommend any other changes?
  • 4theking
    Options
    Love this.

I did something similar while doing the "Slow Carb" diet. That worked for awhile, but I think I was consuming too many calories in general (you can eat as much as you want of the approved foods, basically protein, legumes and veggies). And, on my "dieter's gone wild" day I would go NUTS! Seriously, on some binge days I must have eaten/drank over 5,000 calories.

I am going to try this--keeping my calories on all other days within my 1,300-1,500 range. I'll still be netting below my MFP allotted calories with exercise on those days. Then, I'll eat 2,400 or so calories once a week and won't eat back any exercise calories (my BMR is 1,180).

Does that sound about right? Looking at my food diary, would you recommend any other changes?

I would stay closer to bmr on your non spike days. I think you would be better off hitting 1200 and then spiking a bit higher if you would like, say 2600.
  • 4theking
    Options
    Also, I recommend going lower carb, getting more protein in. Use your spike day to 'carb load' and eat those carbs you have been missing through the week.
  • empressM
    Options
    Love this.

I would stay closer to bmr on your non spike days. I think you would be better off hitting 1200 and then spiking a bit higher if you would like, say 2600.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Just take one day a week and eat double your bmr. This increases your fat loss hormones as well as encourages a whosh, or release of water weight you may be holding onto.

I love this advice! I haven't hit a plateau yet (thankfully). I'm a healthy BMI and just trying to lose the last few vanity pounds (maybe 7 - 12). Do you think eating this way would benefit me also? I'm 5'3" and 127 pounds (my ultimate goal is a really FIT 115-120) ... BMR is around 1250. I typically try to eat around 1300 - 1350 and then some of my exercise calories back.

Thanks!

This definitely could help you. If you plateau, stop eating exercise calories back and have a spike day of 2500.

If I can throw in my two cents and say! Listen to 4theking! My coach! His advice has worked for me and I've lost 50lbs. Follow his instructions and you will be a happy lady! LOL Seriously. Spike days are awesome, and I look forward to them every week. They also make you want to be more dicsiplined during the week, knowing you have one heck of a feast on the way. (It's only ever six days away!) It almost sounds too good to be true, but it's the only thing thats worked for me. Makes losing weight fun, if you can believe it.

-Katy

:heart:
  • kitkat9138
    Options
    bump!
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options