Accounting and statistics in the same semester... too much?

Options
jonzo21
jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
So I pretty much got the short end of the registration stick, and all the classes I need for my major and minor are full. so I thought about changing my major to business. Which I need 2 accounting classes, calculus, and stats for. I used to be good at math in high school, even in my first years of college. it was when I took a few year break from math that things really got hairy a few semesters ago. Long story short, I had to retake intermediate algebra at the junior college for almost failing (but withdrawing first). And now I haven't been in a math class since. (about a year and a half now) So I'm worrying about how hard it will be.

Anyways, how hard to you think it will be taking statistics (basic level) and first year accounting in the same semester? Should also say I'm taking a full course load, and I work 30 hours a week, though I may be able to get that cut to 25 hours this semester and still make my bills, I will have to see.

opinions?

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i took both together and was a-ok...it really depends on the teacher and your own feelings though. i also worked, but not as much (maybe 15 hours per week and i took around 17 units per semester).

i think its a little odd you are planning on changing your major because of one semester though...what is your major btw? does your school only offer "business" or do they offer subcategories...a mere "business" degree is not that great from my understanding...too broad o-O Maybe try late adding classes...see the teachers individually and try and get an add code...go to the first day of classes and the second day and hopefully youll get some.

stats was quite easy for me, and accounting depended on the teacher -- although I still have a hard time with it o-O Maybe check ratemyprofessor.com...but honestly, you might have to take 1 year of accounting...financial and managerial...at least at my school ^^

good luck whatever your choices~^^

ps: Im majoring in international business. The requirements for my program are different than, say, HR...it takes 5 years usually for my program (although i will take around 5.5-6) because we have many classes and have to study abroad etc. so be sure to speak with a counselor at school >.<
  • melelana
    melelana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Oh no! That sounds like murder on the brain! I'd advise against it if you can do it. Especially seeing as you're coming into a new university.... the little differences add up.

What I did when my required classes filled up was I enrolled in classes that could enrich my knowledge for my field (ex., I'm planning on being an educator/education administrator, so I'm taking a communications class,) then sit in on other classes you need and ask the instructor to put you on a wait list.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Both are based on fuzzy math and a boatload of assumptions and caveats so they go together like a hand and glove!

Seriousl what could go wrong?
  • jonzo21
    Options
    well its not just "business", there is subcategories of it, but you need "pre business" courses before going onto the major. Which includes accounting (its 1 year but in 2 semesters) stats, calculus, economics etc. My current major is psychology. Which is the most "popular" major at my school, thus why classes fill up within just a few days of enrollment. I'm already minoring in Human Resources, so I thought maybe I'd switch to just business with emphasis in HR, and minor in psychology instead. Its really the only idea I have on courses to take, because there's nothing to enrich my knowledge of "psychology-organizational behavior" because all the classes that are closely related (including HR) are already full. So I figured I might as well take the "pre business" courses just in case I decide to change my mind. And I'm not changing my mind because of just one semester. I attended the fall semester and was only able to get a basic upper division psychology class. The rest of my classes were upper division GE so I didn't mind too much since I needed them anyway, but now I'm done with all GE and have no other options. I will be trying to get into some of the full classes, but for my financial aid I need to record that I'm taking 12 units. So just in case I don't get any of those psychology classes, I have a backup.

Either way since I have 2 accounting classes and 2 math classes, I will need to take 1 of each per semester, because they are all required to move onto the core major classes. If I take 1 each semester, that will be 2 years just on the pre major stuff, and I'd rather cut it down to just 1 year.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    Both are based on fuzzy math and a boatload of assumptions and caveats so they go together like a hand and glove!

Seriousl what could go wrong?

I can think of a number of things that could go wrong lol. I could fail miserably and have to drop one or both courses, which could impact my financial aid I think. Anyone know if you drop courses do you have to give back some of the money they gave you at the beginning of the semester? I would assume they would, since part of that money was for those courses...
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my 1st semester as a freshmen - then again I was an accounting major - GOOD LUCK!

& it's totally feasible - I should also mention that I love math.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    Sounds like my 1st semester as a freshmen - then again I was an accounting major - GOOD LUCK!

I feel bad for the freshman and sophomores. Even though I'm halfway through being a junior and my registration opened yesterday, Sophomores don't get to register till next week, and freshmen the following. At least they will have GE to complete though.

Also, I know I'm not the only one going through this issue. I've talked to many other psych majors in my class and were all in the same boat. I'm mostly angry because my friend who transferred in the same time as me, has the same units as me, was able to register 5 days before me. There was still some open psych classes I could have taken if my registration had been opened when hers was. I'm not sure why she was able to register before me. Obviously they don't base it on GPA as mine is above 3.5 and hers hardly at 2.5. Her last name begins with a letter further along in the alphabet than mine. I will have to talk to the office to see how exactly they choose registration dates...
  • Tarshlee
    Tarshlee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i just completed stats, business finance and corp law last semester one of the worst semesters i have had! and stats was actually the best subject out of the lot as it was y second time round doing that one and they have completely changed the subject and made it so much more easier! i found finance to be absolute murder though and im pretty sure ive failed it.
    if your working 30 hours wow i wouldnt be able to do it i struggle finding the dedication to do everything i want plus study and work out and work and i only do 17 hours a week and part time study.
    im sure if you are really good with time mgt and are focused you can do it , dont think i would be able to though.
    good luck =]