starting motivation

Options
For those of you that have been at this for a while and are now seeing some good results....how did you keep yourself going those first few weeks/month before you saw some real results?

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Just knowing I was doing something for ME was very motivational. I was so tired of how I looked and felt that I had to make change.
  • cpaisley88
    Options
    I had a family member who was sick at the time and was studying for probably the hardest round of exams I've yet to face (this would be approximately a year ago). Doing something to truly improve myself that was not stressful was a really great feeling and I got hooked on it.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I set fitness goals for myself. I picked up running. You can run a 5K in about 8 weeks if you follow c25k. This way you are still getting in good work outs and nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment when you finish that 3.1 miles with no breaks!
  • Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I sed to love to run, but I had my hip replaced 11 years ago and I can't now.
  • blackhawkgirl91
    blackhawkgirl91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I set up rewards every few pounds/milestones, like that book I wanted on amazon or whatever. Also, my doctor helped monitor it, and I never wanted to disappoint and essentially waste time. Now that I have a wonderful network built on here, my pals keep me motivated and going! I don't want to disappoint them, but more importantly, I don't want to disappoint me. I don't want the past nine months to be a huge emotional waste of time and energy! If I stop now, I will regret it for the rest of my life. THAT'S what keeps me going :smile:
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Any fitness goal will work. If you do the elliptical, aim to keep a certain intensity for so long, or aim to be able to lift certain weights.

Or find a nice hiking trail by you to visit when you have time. There is a great 5 mile trail by me that I walk with my dogs. I get a good work out in, but it is so relaxing, that I don't even feel like I am working out. This is something I look forward to, and not just something I have to do to lose weight.

Anything to get your mind off of "weight loss".
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on wanting to make a change. Something motivated you to start here. Think of that when times get tough.

When I started, I focused on three things: walking, drinking more water, and eliminating my 2 a day cookie habit (around 600 calories each - BIG Cookies). Just walking 30 minutes during lunch, made me stop wanting to eat junk. My potato chip habit stopped after a few weeks. Then I started going on 2 hour hikes over the weekend. Eventually, spin classes and kickboxing started.

I recommend that you make small changes. They will start to add up and you'll see results.

Good luck.