I don't like vegetables

Options
Why does everyone rip on others if they do not eat vegetables? I do not have a hunger problem and take a vitamin. So why is everyone so harsh? I like fruits, but have yet to try a vegetable I do like

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Everyone has things they like and don't like. I'm an extremely picky eater. I tend to eat the same things all the time and quite honestly? I'm not interested in trying something new. I like what I like and that's that.

Don't worry about what other people think. Do what works for you. Eat what you like. Who gives a rip about what someone else is eating?
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    :noway: :explode:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pureeing them and hiding them in sauces? We have to make sauces without tomato for my husband, and puree cooked carrots and red peppers as the "tomato" sauce base. Or making homemade yam fries with chipotle Mayo.

If you don't want to eat them, then don't. But there are ways of tricking yourself of you want to try. :-)
    I've been told by different people to limit fruit and fruit juice because even naturally occurring sugar can add up fast. If you're not worried about the fructose, keep going for the fruit. Whatever keeps you on track. :-)
  • WillowLeaves
    Options
    Have you tried pureeing them and hiding them in sauces? We have to make sauces without tomato for my husband, and puree cooked carrots and red peppers as the "tomato" sauce base. Or making homemade yam fries with chipotle Mayo.

If you don't want to eat them, then don't. But there are ways of tricking yourself of you want to try. :-)
    I've been told by different people to limit fruit and fruit juice because even naturally occurring sugar can add up fast. If you're not worried about the fructose, keep going for the fruit. Whatever keeps you on track. :-)

I thought sugar did not make a difference as long as I count calories? Better then eating a loaf of bread in my eyes at least. I have not tried to trick myself. I may have to try that. I just figured I was getting what I needed out of my vitamin. Thank you for the suggestion
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you want an honest answer... in my opinion it is because it comes across as pretty childish to say "I don't like vegetables".
    Have you tried every single veggie in the world, cooked in every single way? I doubt it.
    There are probably some that you would like if you tried them.

And I think the good reason to try them is that you get such a lot of nutrition (vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals), fibre and general goodness from veggies. Most of them are low in calories in relation to their volume so they are a good way to get lots of nutrition but still fill up your belly when you are counting your calories. I also think it's rather naive to assume that a man-made vitamin is going to replace every single benefit you get from eating veggies.

There, that's why I think people jump on you when you say "I don't like vegetables".

Having said all that - if you choose not to eat them, that's fine by me, it makes no difference to my health and my life.
    We all have to find the foods that work for each of us, and if you are happy and healthy and feel like you are making good choices, then there is no need to change.
  • WillowLeaves
    Options
    Why is it childish? I cannot stand squash of any sort, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, onions. Basically all of the common ones. If there is a little spinach cooked into my food and I cannot taste it I do not mind. But why is it childish if I do not like the taste of them? I am sorry I am a little puzzled, not meaning to come across as rude or anything I am just trying to understand. On the other side I will eat nearly any fruit you put in front of me. I love the sweet taste, but do not like bitter. Just how I am. I have seen a few comments telling people to suck it up and eat the vegetables any way, but i do not understand why
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time not liking a food is because of the texture or the way it is prepared. Maybe they just haven't been cooked in a way that you like? I'm surprised you don't like carrots if you like sweet things, since they can be prepared to be sweet. How about zucchini bread?

I'm not going to judge you for not eating something you don't like, but maybe there are ways that you would like them? It's best to get your nutrition from food when you can. I think using the ideas thought up to help picky kids could be a good idea too.

Most of my life I thought I hated beans, but after tasting them in Japanese sweets I got used to the texture and like them now.
  • Pebble321
    Options
    I'm not meaning to be rude either, I was trying to answer "why do people jump on you when you say you don't like veggies".

I called it childish because it is very reminiscent of a 3 year old tantrumming "I HATE ALL VEGETABLES!!!"
    They are making a generalisation, whereas once we are adults, it gets easier to be logical about it and say "wow, that squash tastes horrible so I'm not going to eat it. Lets try something different for dinner tomorrow. Asparagus anyone?"

This is just my opinion - feel free to take it or leave it (just like the veggies!)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    None of these? I've not even in my lifetime had a chance to try every veggie.. It makes me sad when a person says they don't like ANY veggies.. hard to understand how someone could have tried every single one of them and not liked one.:flowerforyou:

What sorts of things do you like on your Pizza?

Dark green vegetables

bok choy
    broccoli
    collard greens
    dark green leafy lettuce
    kale
    mesclun
    mustard greens
    romaine lettuce
    spinach
    turnip greens
    watercress

Red & orange vegetables

acorn squash
    butternut squash
    carrots
    hubbard squash
    pumpkin
    red peppers
    sweet potatoes
    tomatoes
    tomato juice

Beans and peas*

black beans
    black-eyed peas (mature, dry)
    garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
    kidney beans
    lentils
    navy beans
    pinto beans
    soy beans
    split peas
    white beans

Starchy vegetables

cassava
    corn
    fresh cowpeas, field peas, or black-eyed peas (not dry)
    green bananas
    green peas
    green lima beans
    plantains
    potatoes
    taro
    water chestnuts

Other vegetables

artichokes
    asparagus
    avocado
    bean sprouts
    beets
    Brussels sprouts
    cabbage
    cauliflower
    celery
    cucumbers
    eggplant
    green beans
    green peppers
    iceberg (head) lettuce
    mushrooms
    okra
    onions
    parsnips
    turnips
    wax beans
    zucchini

Beet - Tubers with rich nutty flavours. A sweet variety of beet is grown commercially in europe and asia for sugar manufacture.

Broccoli - green and delicious and full of vitamins

Brussels sprouts - traditionally eaten with Christmas Dinner in the UK

Cabbage - the king of vegetables. Easy to grow almost anywhere

Carrot - Introduced by the Romans, carrots have been popular for 2000 Years

Cauliflower - White relative of broccoli

Celeriac - a large knotted ball-like root vegetable which makes amazing nutty soups

Celery - Slightly bitter (unless blanched) european stalks with a distinctive flavour, used in salads, stews and soups.

Chard - green leafy vegetable

Chicory - bitter vegetable

Collards - This leafy green vegetable is also known as tree-cabbage and is rich in vitamins and minerals.

Corn - North American native vegetable considered sacred by many native tribes. Confusingly corn is also the word used to describe the seeds of wheat and barley.

Cress - small peppery sprouts

Cucumbers - related to courgettes and traditionally used raw in salads. The cucumber grows quickly and holds lots of water

Gourds - The common name for fruits of the Cucurbitaceae family of plants (members include cucumbers, squashes, luffas, and melons).

Jerusalem Artichoke - It isn't an Artichoke and it doesn't come from Jerusalem. The jersalem Artichoke is actually related to the sunflower. The bit we eat is an ugly little tuber (like a small thin potato) that tastes amazing. It has a smoky taste that really excites the palette.

Kales - Until the Renaissance, kale was the most common green vegetable eated by the people of northern Europe

Kohlrabi - Kohlrabi is a member of the turnip family and can be either purple or white.

Leek - The national vegetable of Wales.

Lettuce - lots of green leaves used as a mainstay of salads. Varieties such as round, isberg, lollo rosso and radichio are popular.

Melons - Wonderful fruits with a high water content. There are many farmed varieties . All have seeds surrounded by rich, watery but sweet flesh that is encased in a fairly hard shell.

Mushrooms - not technically a vegetable, but a far older member of the plant kingdom. Mushrooms do not use sunlight to produce energy, hence they have a completely different range of tastes than any other vegetable. Did you know that the largest single living organism on earth is a mushroom called Armillaria Ostoyae, the biggest of which is up to 8,500 years old and carpets nearly 10 square kilometres of forest floor in northeastern Oregon, USA.

Okra also called 'ladies fingers' or gumbo is a wonderful pungent vegetable from the same family as hollyhock. It probably was first cultivated in Ethiopia and is still a North African staple, but has become popular in Europe, Asia and America too.

Onions Onions have been eaten for tens of thousands of years and we still aren't bored of them.

Parsnips The sweet, starchy parsnip was a very popular european vegetable before the arrival of potaoes and Sugar Cane from the Americas. Although not the prize it once was, the Parsnip is a classic root vegetable, particularly popular in more northern lattitudes.

Peas - best eated within minutes of picking as the sugars rapidly turn to starch. Therefore frozen peas often taste better than 'fresh' peas.

Peppers - These are the fruit of the Capsicum family of plants. The hotter tasting ones (due to more Capsaicinoids in the flesh) are usually refered to as chillis.

Potatoes - Nothing finer than a steaming plate of mashed potatoes. An american staple crop that as been exported all over the world.

Pumpkins - A popular gourd vegetable used in cooking and to make halloween jack o lanterns.

Radicchio - a chicory leaf used in salads. Popular since ancient times, modern widescale cultivation of the plant began in the fifteenth century close to Venice in Italy.

Radish - rich in ascorbic acid (vitamin C), folic acid (folate), and Potassium, the raddish is a peppery vegetable popular in western and asian cookery. We usually eat the taproot, but the leaves can also be eaten in salads.

Rhubarb - A plant with large leaves that grow out of thick succulent stems with a very particular floral scent. These stems are popularly eaten as a fruit once sweetened and cooked. Rhubarb was originally native to China but has been popular in Europe since Roman times.

Rutabaga - Alternative name for Swede

Shallots - Small onions often with a more fiery bite.

Spinach -large green leaves wilt easily in a pan and are often served with a little butter and nutmeg as an accompanying vegetable. Spinach contains lots of healthy trace minerals including iron

Squash another generic name for fruits of the vine of the Cucurbitaceae family of plants (see also Gourds). Butternut Squash has recently grown in popularity in the United Kingdom.

Swede - Apparently a cross between cabbages and turnips swedes are a low calory root vegetable

Sweetcorn - a north american native plant loved throughout the world.

Sweet potato Ipomoea batatas (related to the morning glory) produces a starchy tuber. In the USA the red variety of sweet potato is often called a yam, although yams are a seperate vegetable in their own right.

Tomatoes - not technically a vegetable, but a fruit. Tomatoes are best grown yourself because the uniform flavourless powdery fruits available in supermarkets are not worth eating.

Turnips - Root vegetable will grow in cold climates.

Watercress - very peppery small salad like leaves

Watermelon - Sweet tasting gourd reaches enourmous size and definitely the most refreshing fruit there is.

Yams - Sweet starchy tuber that are popular in African, Carribean and American cookery

We hope this alphabetical list of vegetables is of use to you.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'm not meaning to be rude either, I was trying to answer "why do people jump on you when you say you don't like veggies".

I called it childish because it is very reminiscent of a 3 year old tantrumming "I HATE ALL VEGETABLES!!!"
    They are making a generalisation, whereas once we are adults, it gets easier to be logical about it and say "wow, that squash tastes horrible so I'm not going to eat it. Lets try something different for dinner tomorrow. Asparagus anyone?"

This is just my opinion - feel free to take it or leave it (just like the veggies!)

This was exactly my thought pattern. No offense meant, just reminded me of that.

OP, if you like sweeter tastes, why not try sweeter veggies? Butternut squash and roasted pumpkin are both delicious, and have a sweeter taste to them. Red bell pepper is also delicious and sweet when cooked. Really, I think roasting is the best way to cook any vegetable - it just makes the taste and texture so delightful, and brings out the sweetness of the veggies.

Use this as an opportunity to explore the world of vegetables - there are countless vegetables and even more ways to prepare them. They are the best place to get our vitamins and minerals, not to mention delicious!
  • Pebble321
    Options
    By the way, depending on the definition you use..... tomatoes and squashes and peppers are technically fruit (as they have seeds).
    I believe there are a few different definitions out there and we most commonly refer to these things as veggies but botanically they can be considered fruit.
    Not sure what this adds to the discussion, but its interesting when you start making generalisations about "I don't like......"
  • WillowLeaves
    Options
    Rubybelle I appreciated your response, just wanted to make sure it did not seem like I was trying too argue was all :smile:
    I see what you are saying there. I am nearly twenty three and still have some of that little child mentality I think. Maybe capriciousmoo you are right. Maybe it is just how they are prepared. I forgot all about zucchini bread, that is actually one of my favorite treats!
    Now that I am getting older I will have to experiment more before I turn them all down. I have lived on campus for the last three years, and the vegetables they usually serve are the ones I listed and cooked corn and green beans. I do like corn, but I heard that was not a vegetable.

Thank you for all the replies
    xo Willow
  • WillowLeaves
    Options
    Thank you for the list of vegetables. I have not heard of some of those! Next time I am at the supermarket I will pick something new to try. Maybe I should make that a weekly goal? Try a new vegetable?

Which ones do you guys particularly enjoy? That way I know what I am looking for :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Options
    No problem, my husband claims that I love to argue so that's fine by me :)

I can certainly understand that you don't enjoy eating mass produced campus veggies - I remember horrible overcooked frozen beans and similar stuff that were quite revolting. However, now I do my own cooking, I love fresh green beans - steamed in the microwave - and they are even better with a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice drizzled on top, may some slivered almonds there too.... YUM!

If you want to start experimenting (which I highly recommend) why not keep an eye out for something that is on special each week in the veggie aisle, buy just a little bit of it and then google recipes for that. This way you can try out differnt stuff but if you don't like it much you haven't wasted too much money. You might be really surprised how delicious fresh home cooked veggies can be!
  • Pebble321
    Options
    Snap :smile:

Have you tried asparagus? It's one of my favourites. Just don't overcook it.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the list of vegetables. I have not heard of some of those! Next time I am at the supermarket I will pick something new to try. Maybe I should make that a weekly goal? Try a new vegetable?

Which ones do you guys particularly enjoy? That way I know what I am looking for :smile:

The try a new veg idea is great. What sort of meals do you enjoy? Mashed sweet potato goes nicely into chicken korma. There are sweet cherry tomatoes that taste great with hummus dip.

From the sounds of it you are not in complete control of the meals you are served, though. Mass-catered frozen corn would make me turn up my nose as well.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I do that sometimes, pick up something new that I've not yet tried. Don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near you but they do samples each day. I've tried veggies there that I'd never even heard of and ended up loving them. Loved the fact I had the chance to even learn they existed let alone taste them and be able to then purchase them.

Jicama is yum... sorry if my spelling is off but it's a new veggie to me. I only know what it looks like on the inside since it was cut up and sold that way. :blushing:

If you like Greek Yogurt you might try adding a wee bit of dried Hidden Valley Seasoning in it, or Hummus and dipping veggies in that sort of thing makes them have a bit more zing!:smokin:

I love your goal...I'm going to do that regularly from now on, you've inspired me to keep up that habit!

Sugar Snap peas are yummy and crunchy...love the crunch factor in foods!
    Artichoke hearts are tasty on a pita pizza
    Baby Carrots either plain or with Edamame Hummus (Edamame is soybeans)
    Celery and PB
    Corn..yum-o!

Maybe some mixed frozen veggies mixed in with something you enjoy, a healthy version of Mac & Cheese or wild rice with green peas?

Just tossing out a few ideas..

I'll have to pick up a new one this week yet then. :love: :tongue:

OH! Just now read what you shared about Campus veggies.....YES, that could turn a person off of veggies quickly! As was shared above, they are most likely over cooked and salted. Once you start with fresh ones you'll realize salt with veggies is strange tasting.

Have fun at the store this week, I'll be thinking of you when I'm there too!:bigsmile:
  • Clare_F
    Options
    Have you tried eating some of these vegetables raw ! I am not a love of cooked veg, but I will eat many vegetables raw, Spinach for example raw is a great replacement for lettuce in salad and you get more goodness from them raw as they loose some goodness when cooked, and raw peppers are nice especially the orange ones :)
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Try Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wa). Most commonly considered a grain, quinoa is actually a relative of leafy green vegetables like beets, spinach and Swiss chard. It has fiber, protein and lots of health benefits. Check it out.....
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Veggies are a very good source of clean calories, fiber and nutrients. People substitute veggies for some of the more crappy foods like refined carbs, fast foods, chips, fries, candy etc....

If you don't like veggies, you will have a hard time eating clean and making sure you get enough vitimans and minerals. I suppose you can kick up the fruits with fiber but I don't know how it nets out calorie wise.