The "Olivia Method" - the cool new way to set up your MFP go

Options

Replies

• Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hey there :) I've been calorie counting for the past 4 weeks and lost 2 lbs the first two weeks but now I am gaining...which makes no sense. Could you help me out with my bmr? I'm 29,161 lbs and 5'4. I want to lose at least 20 lbs.

I was reading through the posts and another lady said to just set your calories like you're maintaining,is that right?

Thank ya!
  • skward04
    skward04 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Let me give this a try...

BMR of 1465 and maintenance of 1904, so my deficit is 439. I can exercise up to 561 without having to eat some cals back, right?

But would that not essentially put me at 561 under my BMR? Seems like quite a low #?

Thanks for your help!! :)
  • candyle
    Options
    :)
  • Cookie22684
    Cookie22684 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I am totally new to this method, can someone help me please thanks a lot :flowerforyou:

My Bmr is 1239
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Seeing if I have this correct
    BMR = 1252
    1252*1.3 = 1627 (that's the number I set my calorie goal for, correct?)
    1252+1000 = 2252-1627 = 625

So I need to eat AT LEAST 1252 and I need to keep the green number between 500-1000? So, if I exercise and get more calories, then what? Eat? What does the 625 mean? And I need to set my settings to sedentary and maintenance right?
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    BMR = 1252

So I need to eat AT LEAST 1252 and I need to keep the green number between 500-1000? So, if I exercise and get more calories, then what? Eat? What does the 625 mean? And I need to set my settings to sedentary and maintenance right?

if you burned more than 625 cal, you have to eat the difference back.
    Ex: you burned 825 cal for work out . 825 - 625 = 200. so you will eat (BMR) 1252 + 200 = 1452
    if you only burned 300 cal then you just have to eat your BMR cal and that's it = 1252
  • shkytalhick
    Options
    I NEED HELP!!!
    my current weight is: 194.8
    My BMR is: 1730

I have a very labor intensive job & how do I refigure as I lose weight?
    Thanks for the help!
  • chaineyart
    Options
    bump!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • Gamergl
    Gamergl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    bump - saving this for after the holidays.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    This is such a cool method. I definitely don't work out all too much, but I will be more often, but being able to see the calorie deficit each day will be very helpful. And for some reason it seems that even if I want to only have a deficit of 500 cal a day or 3500 a week I can eat more than I thought I could on this way than what MFP gives me as a goal each day. By staying under MFP goal I'm probably starting to starve my body and desperately do not want to hit a plateau! I hope this works for me!

I have to agree with this one! I really like seeing what I have left, instead of trying to keep under the MFP goal. Too soon to tell if this will work for me, but it is a really good visual motivation, and I feel like I can eat more too.
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i don't get it....too much info!!!
  • lilsassymom
    Options
    Still confused...

BMR = 1252

So I need to eat at least 1252 and I need to keep the green number between 500-1000?
    Now I am confused... I went to "guided" and set it to "maintain weight, sedentary, and 0 exercises for 0 minutes"----correct? According to MFP that gives me a NET calorie goal of 1570---According to the above isn't it supposed to be 1627??? Do I need to change my current weight and goal weight info?
    [/quote]
    So, if my goal is to lose 1 lb a week what do I need to aim for? What about 1 1/2 lbs a week? Thanks!
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am in! :happy:
    Haven't seen noticeable scale losses in awhile... thinking I am starving my body by working out too much. Lets see if this works out.
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Still confused...

BMR = 1252

So I need to eat at least 1252 and I need to keep the green number between 500-1000?
    Now I am confused... I went to "guided" and set it to "maintain weight, sedentary, and 0 exercises for 0 minutes"----correct? According to MFP that gives me a NET calorie goal of 1570---According to the above isn't it supposed to be 1627??? Do I need to change my current weight and goal weight info?
    So, if my goal is to lose 1 lb a week what do I need to aim for? What about 1 1/2 lbs a week? Thanks!

The difference between the 1627 and the 1570 is just two different ways to calculate your maitenance goals. There is no truly scientific approach to it, but I find it easier to let MFP use my stats to figure it out and I would also rather underestimate than overestimate my deficit. Just me personally. So, you can either do it to the auto calculated method or enter it manually under custom goals. That goal just uses the assumption you are a little more active on a daily basis than someone who has a desk job and only gets exercise when they deliberately exercise. Like if you were a mail carrier who walked 8 miles a day and didn't track that as exercise because it was your regular activity...well, then you have a higher natural maintenance amount.

1 pound a week=green number of 500 every day
    1.5 pound a week=green number of 750 every day
    2 pounds a week=green number of 1,000 every day

But keep in mind you can have a 500 one day and a 1,000 the next day and the average will be 750 meaning you're on path for a 1.5 pound loss that week. This plan is great for people who stagger their daily deficit based on working out say 3-5 times a week rather than every single day.
  • KOrogue
    Options
    That totally makes sense! It might take some getting used to but I think I'll try it...
  • lilsassymom
    Options
    Still confused...

BMR = 1252

The difference between the 1627 and the 1570 is just two different ways to calculate your maitenance goals. There is no truly scientific approach to it, but I find it easier to let MFP use my stats to figure it out and I would also rather underestimate than overestimate my deficit. Just me personally. So, you can either do it to the auto calculated method or enter it manually under custom goals. That goal just uses the assumption you are a little more active on a daily basis than someone who has a desk job and only gets exercise when they deliberately exercise. Like if you were a mail carrier who walked 8 miles a day and didn't track that as exercise because it was your regular activity...well, then you have a higher natural maintenance amount.

1 pound a week=green number of 500 every day
    1.5 pound a week=green number of 750 every day
    2 pounds a week=green number of 1,000 every day

But keep in mind you can have a 500 one day and a 1,000 the next day and the average will be 750 meaning you're on path for a 1.5 pound loss that week. This plan is great for people who stagger their daily deficit based on working out say 3-5 times a week rather than every single day.
    Ok, thanks. Would it be better if I left my settings to lightly active instead of sedentary? If I left it at lightly active it gives me a net calorie of 1690... Or with this method are we supposed to put it to sedentary?