Snacking suggestions!

Options
Hey guys! Bit of a dilemma. I'm about to take a road trip (13 hours) and I need some snacking suggestions. This will be the first trip I've taken where I am serious about watching what I'm eating. The Hostess Cupcake and Starbuck's Frappucino monsters almost always win the "Eat This, Not That" battle inside of my head. I understand gas stations don't exactly have a healthy section, but there's gotta be things that are preferred. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow candy bar, 100 calorie bag of popcorn? Good luck!! I feel your pain..... :)
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bring nuts in controlled portions and a cooler for cut up vegetables (huge quantities). Allow yourself one and only one gas station treat. Bring lots of water. It can be done.
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I pack healthy choices to take with us......clif bars, apples, veggies and hummus, popcorn, tortilla chips. I measure portion sizes into baggies or little plastic contianers and put them in a small cooler to take along with us. Thermas of hot coffee or tea......even bottles of water.

If the trip means we have to stop for lunch....I pack lunch or look for a place that will be low in cals. :o) Happy Travels!!
  • pirate4hire
    Options
    Apples, oranges, celery - okay mostly good if you're not the one driving. Don't forget there are the 100 calorie snacks now for just about anything including cookies that taste pretty close to the original.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I like the breadsticks and cheese by Kraft. I know the cheese is processed... it's not "healthy" but it is 110 calories and it is a good little snack on the go. No, it is not "healthy".

Healthy would be some fruit. I heard frozen grapes were good. Maybe if you froze controlled (ziplock baggy) portions of grapes, then ate them as a snack. I bet that would be good as they will defrost on the roadtrip.

Bananas, maybe a jar of peanut butter to put on some whole wheat crackers or with the banana or apple, .. Put everything in premeasured portions, that way you know exactly how much you are consuming. Don't be tooo strict. I love roadtrips, you can have some fun too!!
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    popcorn! I love popcorn! and bags of fruit and carrot sticks :) If you can stomach celery get some of that. I did that for a road journey recently, I don't actually like the stuff lol but it took so much chewing to get through that I couldn't be bothered to snack after it! just cut it up into really small pieces so I could graze on it
  • kellyc3
    Options
    Bump
  • babykanguruh
    Options
    Peel some hard boiled eggs, sprinkle with a little salt and put em in a zip lock baggie. They willl fill you up and satisfy you at only 70 calories each!
  • Itsallbs15
    Itsallbs15 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    We drove from Seattle, WA to West palm beach, FL and I made sure that I was not eating a bunch of gas station garbage. I packed a bunch of 100 Calorie snacks, nuts, carrot and celery sticks and only drank water and my morning coffee. And most gas stations have a small basket of fruit by the register, so I would grab an apple, orange or banana instead of the bag of chips and|/or candy bar. There are plenty of subways along the road which makes for easy healthy eating.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    apples, almonds, make a sandwich and wrap it up and bring with you.
  • alwayssummer
    Options
    grapes, peanut butter stuffed celery (messy), veggies and hummus, pre-portioned nuts.....
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    oooooh, you can look up intermittent fasting and just not eat for 13 hours!!

no, just kidding, don't do that. but seriously, pack all your snacks and stuff in a cooler or something. also remember, your sitting/driving. your body shouldn't need so much food as normal. at least, thats my train of thought
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Get a cheap insulated lunch bag. Put an ice pack in. Boom! Now you can bring almost anything :)

My recommendations? Hummus and veggies, apples and peanut butter, TJ's lite kettle corn individual bags, Larabars/KIND bars, EAS pre-mixed protein shakes, turkey/cheese/lettuce roll-ups!
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Snyder's pretzel sticks - 28 sticks equals one serving.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    cook some chicken breast....not bad cold at all! good protein source and will fill you up!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Most gas stations have cheese sticks (in the cooler, not the fried kind :wink: ), if you get stuck without something. A lot of places I've been stopping recently have healthier choices like fruits and veggies. They may be super expensive, so I would pack my own healthy choices.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Dried fruit & almonds (make up small baggie portions)
    Trail Mix
    Wheat Crackers & Cheese String (can prolly get tthe sting at a gas station)
    Wheat crackers & peanut butter
    Bottled Water
    Thermos w/ tea or coffee
    bran granola bars
    dry wheat cereal
    yogurt if you have a cooler
    100 calorie bags of baked chips/popcorn
    grapes or other berries that are easy to eat
    pre-cut veggies
    dark chocolate almonds for a treat (small portion)
    make yourself a wrap and bring it with you to stop & eat lunch
    baked tortilla chips with salsa
    boiled eggs & melba toast
    small can of flavoured tuna (doesn't need any may - just open and eat) with melba toast
    stop at a fast food place and get a salad?

You CAN do this! ;)
  • Meesh57
    Meesh57 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. So many things I already knew, but had forgot about. Even better, suggestions I had never even thought of.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Take your own snacks. Nutrigrain bars, fruit (apples and bananas travel pretty well, so does dried fruit, just not the stuff filled with sugar), nuts, maybe a touch of beef jerky for protein although I'm sure there's a low-sodium option.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Nuts, fresh veggies, fruit! I love taking apple slices, plums, nectarines and that sort of thing on trips. Also raw broccoli and carrots. Nuts are good too (I'm allergic so I can't eat them) but I've found that I -love- dry roasted edamame to snack on... it's like nuts only I won't have a reaction! lol