Ground turkey recipes needed

Options
I want to make something other than meatballs and burgers with ground turkey. Does anyone have some healthy recipes they would like to share.

Replies

• baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump! :)
  • kellyc3
    Options
    bump
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    This is my chili recipe. It's super easy!

1 pound of ground turkey
    2 cans of diced tomatoes
    3 cans of beans (any kind you prefer)
    1 can of corn
    1 packet of Ranch seasoning (like Hidden Valley)
    1 packet of chili seasoning

I also put in some chopped onion and some jalapenos sometimes.

You brown the turkey in a pot and drain any fat. Add all the other ingredients (do not drain the canned foods) and stir. Simmer on low for 1 hour. Enjoy!

If you have the extra calories left, I love to add shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream to my chili. :-)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Tacos! Just follow the seasoning packet directions and sub turkey for beef.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I made "Crispy Turkey Wraps" the other night. Low-carb taco-sized tortillas, batch of seasoned ground turkey (white pepper, chili powder, garlic salt), Laughing Cow Chipotle/Fresco cheese wedge, and crushed tomatoes. I laid out my torilla, smeared some Laughing Cow on it, added the ground turkey and crushed tomatoes (you could add other veggies here too), rolled it up and sprayed both sides with a bit of Pam and crisped in the skillet for about a minute on each side. Delicious! I have 4 for a very filling 500-cal dinner.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I make a ground turkey meatloaf. My husband loves meatloaf, but I prefer this healthier version used with turkey.
    I also like this because it is an easy stand-by and you can put whatever side with it you choose or have on hand. I tricked my husband once and he couldn't tell and liked that I was making an old classic a little more healthy. :happy:

1 lb of ground turkey
    1 medium onion finely chopped (can sub with powder version)
    1 garlic clove minced (can sub with powder version)
    1/2-1 cup of BBQ Sauce (We love Montgomery Inn) or Ketchup
    1 egg
    1 cup of breadcrumbs
    Salt and pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in a bowl with hands. Put your loaf in an 8x8 pan or loaf pan and top with a wee-bit more of your sauce of choice. You can (+/-) your breadcrumbs and sauce so that you get the right consistency of your loaf. Bake in oven at 350 for an hour. I think that is the right temp and time. :ohwell:
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili (from allrecipes.com):
    2 pounds lean ground turkey
    1/2-1 onion, chopped
    2 medium zucchinis, diced
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon salt (I usually use WAY more, but I wait until after it's all put together)
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    2 (28 ounce) cans diced unsalted tomatoes, with liquid
    3 (15 ounce) cans BUSH'S® Black Beans, drained and rinsed
    2 ounces bittersweet chocolate

Brown the turkey, add to pot with beans, tomatoes, seasoning, garlic and zucchini. Sautee the onions until soft, then stir in to chili. Add chocolate and let simmer for an hour or so.

The original recipe calls for 3 28oz cans of tomatoes, but I found it's way too much for me. You could probably get away with 1.5 lbs of turkey, but it's up to you. The chocolate & zucchini sounds gross, but trust me...it's great. I've tried MANY turkey chili recipes and this is by far the best. People always ask me for the recipe. Makes a LOT and freezes well.

Edited to add: I also use more seasoning (cumin, chili powder, oregano) than the recipe calls for, but I usually do it to taste once everything is simmering.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I found a turkey skillet recipe on allrecipes.com that is very low on calories but I haven't tried it yet.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-bow-tie-skillet/detail.aspx

And there's always the traditional turkey pot pie with homemade crust and low-fat soup filling.
  • Luv2BMommy
    Options
    I make turkey joes. It's so easy. You just brown the ground turkey, drain it, mix in 1 cup bbq sauce for each pound of turkey, and heat till warm. Serve on whatever roll you like. My 6 year old loves these. They're quick, cheap, healthy, and easy. :)
  • purpleroseslb
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Im new to this site and appreciate you help.
  • sryon
    sryon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Taco Salad

Shredded Lettuce

Ground Turkey

Black beans

Tomatoes

Crushed Tortilla Chips

Taco Seasoning (as desired)

Russian Salad dressing

Brown meat mix all together and enjoy
  • bmjohnso9192
    Options
    I just made the Zataran's Dirty Rice mix with Ground Turkey. It was delicious!
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That sounds good with the dirty rice. Thanks for the suggestion....
  • angraham2
    Options
    you can sub ground turkey for ground beef in any recipe, spagetti, taco's, burgers, meatloaf , etc, also works great in casserols that call for shredded meat
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Turkey Shepherd's Pie is also great. :) however you make your beef shepherd's pie (same veggies and whatever) but with turkey. and use turkey gravy if you're the gravy type. delish!
  • eclecticdeb
    eclecticdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Turkey Lettuce Wraps -- measurements aren't exact, it's more of a "little of this, some of that".

1 onion chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 T fresh ginger, chopped
    1 lb ground turkey
    Hoisin sauce, 3/4 jar (depend on how "saucy" you want it)
    1 bell pepper chopped
    1 cup carrots shredded
    1 bag TJ shredded cabbage
    cilantro, about 1/4 cup finly chopped
    mint, about 1/4 cup, finely chopped
    Red pepper flakes, about 1/2 teaspoon (to taste)
    lime, about 1-2
    Butter lettuce leaves

Saute onion in a little olive oil. Add garlic and soften. Add ground turkey and cook. Add hoisin sauce. Add carrots, shredded cabbage (it will look like a lot, but it cooks down), cilantro, mint and mix well. Cover and let cook for about 10 minutes. Squeeze in lime juice to taste (don't skip, it really needs the acid to come alive).

Eat with butter lettuce leaves.

YUMMY! A favorite in my household.
  • Gobrea
    Options
    turkey meatballs :)
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    texmex_gt_ptboat.jpg

TEX-MEX GROUND TURKEY POTATO BOATS

2 medium potatoes
    1/2 pound ground turkey
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 can (8 ounces) stewed tomatoes
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pierce potatoes several times with fork. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until soft. Cool slightly. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.

Slice potatoes in half, lengthwise. Scoop out pulp with spoon, leaving 1/4 inch shell. (Reserve potato pulp for other use.) Place potato shells on jelly-roll pan or baking sheet.

Place turkey, onion and garlic in medium skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin and red pepper flakes to turkey in skillet. Cook 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.

Spoon turkey mixture evenly into potato shells; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes or until cheese melts.

Makes 4 servings. 209 Calories.