Calling all Beagle Owners!!!! HELP!!!!

Options
SarahBrown1979
SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
SO a lil backround info for you: Back last feb we adopted our beagle Howie, at the time they said he was around a yr old, so now we say he's almost 2! Now his previous owner we believe that the husband miss treated him b/c they said everytime the husband walked in the room he would shake and run away from him, wife blamed him for beating but husband denied (personally we think that is the case b/c he is completely fine with every male that walks in the house!) Now Howie was great at first and never had accidents in the house! Now all the sudden he is and I can't figure it out and I'm getting so frustrated! People say there crate is there home and safe place and won't pee or poop in there crate. BUT lately he has been doing both in the crate. We do crate train b/c we are gone for 8 hrs out of the day and for this reason (going to the bathroom in the house). We wash his bedding for the crate everytime this happens and it is happening more frequently! SO I know that beagles like to hide stuff (he buries his raw hides all the time) and when in his crate he does try to hide this too. I want my dog to be comfortable so I don't want to take his bedding out but at this point don't know if I have a choice! We take him out in the a.m when he gets up, we take him out after we get home and we take him out right before he goes to bed, and he still goes in his crate! We only feed him once a day and that is after we get home from work. We do not hit or rub his nose in his mess we pick it up and take it outside to show him where it goes! I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!! IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE FOR US PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE I'M BEGGING FOR HELP!!!!

Replies

• SarahBrown1979
    Options
    Oh and I relize this has nothing to do with fitness or weight but I thought maybe someone has had this happen and has ideas for me
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Have you taken him to a Vet to rule out a bladder infection or UTI?

If a dog is peeing in his crate, either the crate is too big or he is sick.
  • Salamanda425
    Options
    Is the crate too big for him? Ideally the crate should be just big enough for him to turn around. That way he can't potty on one side of it and then lay on the other side. That was the problem I first had with my Bernese Mountain Dog. I had gotten him a huge crate since he was going to be a huge dog, and it wasn't working. So I put him in a smaller crate to start with, and now he's crate trained.

Good luck!!
  • SarahBrown1979
    Options
    I haven't taken him to the vet yet and the crate is as long as him and wide. I'm not sure I could go any smaller
  • DDsMrs
    DDsMrs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have an almost 4yr old beagle, and an alomst 1yr old sheltie. You are doing everything we do with our dogs at home. However, my beagle(Sophie) is not crated during the day, only at night. We still crate our sheltie (Nestle) during the day when we are not home because she is till in that puppy phase, don't trust her yet to roam the house with Sophie while we are working. If there is nothing physically wrong with your beagle,has there been any changes in your house? Did you bring home another animal?

As far as rubbing his nose in it, that only works if you catch him doing it. To do it 2-3 hours after the fact won't work. Always praise him after he goes outside to do his business.

Hope you find a solution. Good luck!
    P.S. I'm glad you took him out of an abusive home :happy:
  • SarahBrown1979
    Options
    Yeah we never rub his nose in it and I always prise him for going outside and he gets a treat when he poops outside. No other changes in the house, when he got there my Cat Tigger was already there and they don't interact much, Tigger is a fatty (lol) and all he wants to do it cuddle, doesn't want to be bothered by Howie. Do u think.... and dare I think it ...... he needs another dog to play with? When our friends are over that have dogs they bring them over and he has a blast!! Loves other dogs and is great with them. I'm just not sure If we can handle another dog right now... (so much going on with wedding planning)!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing everything you should, has his diet changed at all? I have a french bulldog that I got in August, and she goes out 1st thing when she wakes up, but I also take her out again right before I leave for work...and then she still normally has at least one accident while we are gone during the day.

I have heard it can take up to 18 months for their muscles to completely mature (the ones that help them to hold it) so I never scold her for it, since she never has an accident when we are home. We also have a 12 year old pitbull, and he never has an accident unless he is sick....but he was still having issues at 3 years old if I remember correctly....

Both of our dogs are not in crates, they get the run of the house...but a lot of times, like you said, they are more comfortable in their crates, helps them feel more secure....

I am sure he will grow out of this, just have patience, even though I know its stressful sometimes....My Freya (the frenchie) likes to go on one of our area rugs, so out comes the carpet cleaner almost every night.....but I guess she is worth it♥
  • ashley_jorah
    ashley_jorah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My beagle basically did the same thing. We think it was an anxiety problem. It wasn't quite everyday, so we think it happened if someone came to the door when we weren't home or if she heard the complex's gardeners. We eventually would lock her in the kitchen, put a mat for her to pee on away from her bed. It worked most of the time. (she was terrified of crates)
    Later on the problem got worse. She was diagnosed with Cushings Disease. That was the only time she ever really peed in her bed. But she developed a lot of other problems with that as well.
    You may want to take her to a vet, just in case.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just leave him in the backyard when you go to work? Why does he have to be in a crate? Escape artist or something?
  • SarahBrown1979
    Options
    Why don't you just leave him in the backyard when you go to work? Why does he have to be in a crate? Escape artist or something?

We live in a HRA area and don't have our fence up yet (something we plan on getting right after the wedding do to cost) and yes if we would leave him in the back yard even with a fence, Beagles are diggers and he'd prob get out. We were going to try not to crate him after we had no accidents for a mth but as soon as it was about a mth he'd have another accident. Other then the 8 hrs we are gone for the day during the week and at night when he goes to sleep he has full reign of the house
  • glindroos
    Options
    8 hours is too long for him to be in a crate. Can you hold it for that long?
  • SarahBrown1979
    Options
    My beagle basically did the same thing. We think it was an anxiety problem. It wasn't quite everyday, so we think it happened if someone came to the door when we weren't home or if she heard the complex's gardeners. We eventually would lock her in the kitchen, put a mat for her to pee on away from her bed. It worked most of the time. (she was terrified of crates)
    Later on the problem got worse. She was diagnosed with Cushings Disease. That was the only time she ever really peed in her bed. But she developed a lot of other problems with that as well.
    You may want to take her to a vet, just in case.

I hope there isn't anything medically wrong with him, that would def make us sad b/c he broke a nail once and I felt so bad for him. We do live in a neighborhood that has an HRA and the landscapers do not have a problem making noise (lol) and people coming to the house and knocking on the door, maybe I'll move his crate to the other side of the house where he doesn't hear it much, right now he's under a window and right by the front door (live in a townhouse end unit so not a whole lot of room to move him but I'll find a way). Thanks for the advice! Much appericated!!!
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My greyhound, not exactly a beagle, had some anxiety issues. We started leaving a radio on for him when we leave the house to drown out noises from outside. Not at all loud, but just loud enough. We found out later that trainers play a radio 24/7 at the greyhound kennels for that reason.

I would agree though, a UTI, another illness, or even allergies could cause the problems you're having with him. A vet can help you a whole lot faster than your diet pals guessing.

aug
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    beagleize-200.jpg

I have nothing to add, I just think this is cute and you should buy the shirt, because I am a huge fan of them but I have enough shirts.
    http://www.sharingmachine.com/index.php?item=114
  • SarahBrown1979
    Options
    My greyhound, not exactly a beagle, had some anxiety issues. We started leaving a radio on for him when we leave the house to drown out noises from outside. Not at all loud, but just loud enough. We found out later that trainers play a radio 24/7 at the greyhound kennels for that reason.

I would agree though, a UTI, another illness, or even allergies could cause the problems you're having with him. A vet can help you a whole lot faster than your diet pals guessing.

aug

Thanks I will def talk to the man of the house and set up an appt, just wondering if anyone had advice, thanks so much!
  • SarahBrown1979
    Options
    beagleize-200.jpg

I have nothing to add, I just think this is cute and you should buy the shirt, because I am a huge fan of them but I have enough shirts.
    http://www.sharingmachine.com/index.php?item=114

LOL very Cute thanks!
  • glindroos
    Options
    It really sounds to me like the problem is time. You cannot coup up a dog for 8 hours at a time. Someone needs to let him out in the middle of the day. 8 hours is too long to go without a bathroom break. If you can't make it home on your lunch break then you need to leave him with someone who can care for him.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It really sounds to me like the problem is time. You cannot coup up a dog for 8 hours at a time. Someone needs to let him out in the middle of the day. 8 hours is too long to go without a bathroom break. If you can't make it home on your lunch break then you need to leave him with someone who can care for him.

Most dogs have no problem going all day without a bathroom break. Mine certainly don't have a problem with it.

I'd probably start with the vet just to make sure there's not something medically wrong and then move on to other possible causes after that.

I know my greyhound HATES being in a crate. He'll actually use the restroom in it on purpose to show his displeasure. However, if I leave him out and let him have full run of the house, he's perfectly fine all day while we're gone. Maybe the pup just doesn't want to be left in a crate. Some dogs just don't like them all that much...
  • SarahBrown1979
    Options

Most dogs have no problem going all day without a bathroom break. Mine certainly don't have a problem with it.

I'd probably start with the vet just to make sure there's not something medically wrong and then move on to other possible causes after that.

I know my greyhound HATES being in a crate. He'll actually use the restroom in it on purpose to show his displeasure. However, if I leave him out and let him have full run of the house, he's perfectly fine all day while we're gone. Maybe the pup just doesn't want to be left in a crate. Some dogs just don't like them all that much...

Yeah We have crated him since day 1 and he had never had an accident up untill recently, and its not every day that he does this. I know its not his fav place to be but we make it a fun place where we give him a treat for going in and a toy to play with or snuggle (he's a snuggler!). I am def going to talk to a vet about it and try some other things that have been suggested as well and see if any of it helps. And if it doesn't work or there is nothing wrong with him medically then (Glindroos, I know its out of concern and some people don't think its right to crate but again this hasn't always been the issue and we know lots of friends and family that crate and they don't make messes.) I will have to find a way to get him out during the day (most likely have to hire someone b/c work isn't close to home).
  • Signia
    Signia Posts: 21
    Options
    Our dog did that and it turned out he had Cushing's Disease. If that's what it is, it all comes down to how long you are willing to put up with it, or how much you're willing to spend on medication.

It is probably from being in a crate for too long though. Now the dog is used to "going" in there and it's not so bad (in the dog's opinion). They are hounds, after all, and don't mind getting dirty!