Increasing calories

Options
OK so I need some help. I am currently at 1200-1230 (and I eat back my calories) and though I'm losing weight, I am not happy with how little I'm eating and I want to eat more. I did increase my calories to 1300 before but I ended up gaining and hitting a plateau (and as soon as I decreased it down to 1200 I started losing again). Has anyone had this problem? What did you do about it?

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    HI! I was advised to eat more calories so I could make more muscle.
    I was on 1200, and sometimes only ate 1000.
    I'm struggling now to eat 1600, I'm so full.
    I also have to lift heavier weights, I'm told it will burn more cals than all my cardio anyway.
    Good luck!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Wanting to eat more and not being able to is kinda the point of dieting.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused do you eat back your exercise calories and still only eat 1200-1230 because unless you are very short you may have slowed your metabolism a bit by under eating. So you may have to let your weight go up just a bit until your metabolism is revved up again.

I increased from 1200 to 1350 (I'm 5'7" and was 125 at the time of the increase) and I lost .5lbs in about 10ish days. I had been stalled for about 4 to 6 weeks when I decided to increase my calories. I increased a couple more times, but still at a deficit, until I hit my goal weight. Then I increased slowly until I hit my maintenance number. Lost a smidgen more getting to my maintenance level but I was able to gain that back really quickly.

Good luck I hope you find a system that works for you.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    OK so I need some help. I am currently at 1200-1230 (and I eat back my calories) and though I'm losing weight, I am not happy with how little I'm eating and I want to eat more. I did increase my calories to 1300 before but I ended up gaining and hitting a plateau (and as soon as I decreased it down to 1200 I started losing again). Has anyone had this problem? What did you do about it?

If you're not happy you may be less likely to keep at it in the long run. You should definitely increase your calories if you aren't happy - as long as you're being honest and also keeping the deficit you will continue to lose weight. But it will be more sustainable over the long term because you won't feel deprived. I would say increase it slowly though, and monitor your progress.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i've told you to eat 1400. you feel better in the long run. no, the weight loss won't be as quick, but it'll be steady and you'll learn how to live with it.
  • tunktunk5583
    tunktunk5583 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @paige1108: I eat 1200-1230 net calories a day. So if I burn off 400 calories, I will eat them back giving me a net calorie count of 1200 or 1230 depending on the day (I try and slightly zig zag). I'm only 5' and normally work out 6 days a week.

@UponThisRock: I have to disagree with you on that one...if you want to keep the weight off then there is a balance you must find with eating. If you're looking to lose the weight quickly then sure why not :)

@engineman312: where? I didn't see anything. My rational side knows you're right, but I admit, it's hard to come to terms with!!! even though I switched back to 1200-1230 calories, you think it's safe to increase it right away?