BEST TIME FOR A RUN?

Options
When is the best time to go for a run?

I was thinking maybe before breakfast or no?

And how many runs should I be doing a week to make sure I lose at least a pound a week?

Replies

• ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    have you run before? if not look into C25K, that gets you out running 3 times a week, builds your endurance over a period of 9 weeks to running 3 miles. I run usual late at night, but thats because it fits into my schedule beter than morning running, morning, afternoon or night, which ever is good, so long as it suits you :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Really the best time is the time the feels best to you. I started out forcing myself to do it in the morning, and that's wonderful (sets the tone for a good day), but I'm not a morning person, so eventually started doing it in the evening, which is better than not at all.
  • kwallen78
    Options
    Morning is definitely the best time. Gets your body charged up for the day. Sometimes I run in the late afternoon around 3-4. Get a good burn in before dinner!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Losing a pound a week will be determined by your diet, not by how often you run. Two completely different things.
  • brigbug
    Options
    Really the best time is the time the feels best to you. I started out forcing myself to do it in the morning, and that's wonderful (sets the tone for a good day), but I'm not a morning person, so eventually started doing it in the evening, which is better than not at all.

Totally agree! What feels best to you. I like to run in the evenings also. But, most races are in the mornings. Also, as for the pound a week. You would have to gauge your caloric intake and look at the burn with an HRM or something to see where you want to be.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    There is no "best time" to guarantee losing a pound/week. If you're going to run, run whenever works best for you. I am NOT a morning person, so if I schedule my workouts in the morning I usually end up not doing them and then feel guilty. If you DO run in the morning, some people say eat before, others say don't. If I'm going a short distance I won't because I don't run well with anything in my stomach - it makes me sick. If it's a day I do a longer run, I will get up early enough to eat something and still allow myself some time to digest it. If you're running just for fitness, I agree that starting out with something like C25K is a great place to start. It eases you in to the whole idea of running. If you're eventually going to plan on distance running, don't expect to continue losing a pound/week during your training...
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    For me, it's always been when her husband gets home.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The best time to run is when you can fit it in your busy schedule. For me, sometimes it's in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon, and sometimes in the evening. And some days it just doesn't happen. 'Ya just gotta do what works for you.

Depending on how long you run would make a difference as to how much weight you'll lose - not necessarily how many days. If you can, invest in a heart rate monitor. That's your best way to measure how many calories you're burning during your runs.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Anytime is the best time for a run! But diet it what makes you lose weight, not specifically running.

Good luck!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    And the most important thing: GET GOOD SHOES!

Don't go buy just any pair of tennis shoes and expect them to be right. Go to a specialty running store and have them do a gait analysis and fit you for the right shoe for you. It will save you a lot of trouble and pain! :smile:
  • sarahlovestorun
    sarahlovestorun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Personally I like running in the morning- gives me a positive outlook on my whole day- but run whenever it suits you best :) Sometimes it's good to run in the morning just to make sure you get it down for the day!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Anytime you can get in for a run is the best time!! I don't run as well later in the day as I do first thing in the Am because I'm not already tired from the day, but that's just me and I'm a morning person.

As far as running to lose each lb - I suggest the book racing weight by Scott Fitzgerald.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The best time is whenever you can get it done!

That said, I LOVE to start my days off with a run first thing in the morning.

Over the years I've had to switch to nights for various reasons (work schedule, family, etc.), but the mornings are what I like.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I read this from Formicaman today:

The story: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/phys-ed-the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast/

and Uponthisrock also shared:

Here's the abstract of the actual study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20837645
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    The best time is whenever you can get it done!

That said, I LOVE to start my days off with a run first thing in the morning.

Over the years I've had to switch to nights for various reasons (work schedule, family, etc.), but the mornings are what I like.

^^^ This. :)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    When is the best time to go for a run?

I was thinking maybe before breakfast or no?

And how many runs should I be doing a week to make sure I lose at least a pound a week?

How much are you eating during the week?
  • EKorun
    EKorun Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If your goal is running to lose weight, then the focus really should be on diet (and I recommend the book Run Your Butt Off). When I started training for my first half marathon, I was running 4 times per week and gained weight. My friend experienced the same weight gain during her training for the Ironman. Morale: Focus on your food! :)
  • UFFStudent
    Options
    well I've been on MFP for over 2 months now and my calorie intake is guided at 1200 calories basic and then obvs the additional after the exercise. It's not the diet because that's going fine, I just wanted to increase my exercise a bit more because I am quite a lazy person aha