Wakeing up in the middle of the night gasping for air?

Options
13»

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Sounds like apnea to me. Unchecked can lead to heart disease. Know this from experience. May want to let your doctor know.

I agree with this - go see your doctor. it's not an uncommon problem. You may be stopping breathing in your sleep - which (fortunately) wakes you up. I'm not sure about the link to heart disease.

If you are waking up with difficulty breathing then it is more likely to be asthma or similar. Either way, you need to go and see your doctor.

I agree.GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. (you might think it's rare but maybe it's just rare that it woke you up). My sis-in-law's uncle died from sleep apnea. He went to sleep and never woke up. It is a very, very serious condition.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    My dad will stop breathing but he still makes the motions of breathing, just no actually air going in and out. Then he'll all of a sudden breath in and you realize he wasn't actually breathing. He doesn't wake up though.

So, could be apnea, it could be anxiety, it could be a number of things. It is something that you should get checked out though. Good luck and I hope it a simple fix.
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sounds like sleep apnea. My wife suffers from it and sleeps with a CPAP machine which forces air to keep the passage ways open. It can definitely be weight related as extra weight around your neck making it more difficult for the passages to remain open when you lie down to sleep. A doctor can diagnose sleep apnea by doing a sleep study. Definitely see a doctor, undiagnosed sleep apnea increases your risks for stroke, heart attack, and more because you are depriving your body of oxygen. You are actually stopping breathing, sometime hundreds of time per night with sleep apnea.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    could it really be sleep apnoea when its really rare that it happens

every few nights is not rare. I agree see a Dr.
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    could it really be sleep apnoea when its really rare that it happens

If it happens only rarely, I wonder if it could be an attack of laryngospasm brought on by acid reflux - the vocal cords get irritated by the rising acid and go into a spasm, blocking the airways and causing a harsh whistling sound when trying to breathe (stridor). After 30-60 seconds, the vocal chords relax again and allow air to flow. I've seen this happen and it is a terrifying experience both to live through and to watch! Also, apparently there is such a thing as 'silent reflux' which is not accompanied by the typical heartburn etc., so this could happen without any warning signs, usually in the middle of the night.

With reflux, the general advice is to avoid over-eating or eating acidic food within 2-3 hours before bed, and to sleep on propped-up pillows (as some others have already pointed out). I think this is probably good advice in any case, whether it's reflux or apnoea (or even if you just want to ensure a good night's sleep)!

But as everyone wisely says - If it keeps happening, go and see the doctor!!
  • carterjerm
    Options
    Sounds a bit like obstructive sleep apnoea.

I have that condition and one of the symptoms I had was like you described. (I am OK now thanks to a CPAP machine)

You need to get this checked out by a doctor (try googling sleep apnoea / apnea)

For sure sounds like sleep apnoea.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've had this as well. But also have the reflux symptoms which have dramatically dropped since joining MFP (down 12 lbs since sept 13th). I was 224lbs and I'm 6ft.. highest weight I've ever been, was tired and would get the reflux
    symptoms every other day.. rarely get it now at all, may only flare up based on what i last ate..will monitor.

I may still go see a doctor. You probably should too.
  • empc
    empc Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Agree with sleep apnea. Try sleeping on your side (not on ur back) until u can see your Doc.
  • starscapenatasha
    Options
    We are not physicians. Well, some of us may be, but most of us aren't and most of us have not gone to school for 8 years so that we can devote our lives to figuring out what is wrong with you. Go see your doctor; don't ask us to diagnose you.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Asthma and you might need a sleep ap machine. I have asthma and every night I wake up because I feel like I am suffocating. Try not to sleep on your sides because that presses your lungs into each other and causes constriction.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Maybe your boyfriend dutch-ovened you while you were sleeping and you didn't know?

Ok kidding aside, I've had this happen to me a few times too. It's crazy when it happens. You should get it checked out. Then let me know what the doc says because I am too lazy (or stupid) to go see a doctor about it.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    sleep apnea - see a family dr about a sleep study.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to see if anyone else has the problem were they wake up in the middle of the night and they struggle to breahte then your heart raceses for a bit? Its like ur asleep then all of a sudden you jump half put of ur bed because you feel like your chocking or something?

Waking up & struggling to breathe: several things it could be.

1) Panic Attacks: are you under a lot of stress?
    2) Athsma: the choking part leads me to think this....
    3) Allergy: Bedbugs? Dustmites? There's a lot of allergies that would do this.

You should see a doctor, & discuss your symptoms. This is NOT normal, nor is it safe. You don't know how bad it'll get before it gets better.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that you may possibly be experiencing demon possession? I mean, really, considering the fact that you haven't seen a doctor yet, the prospect of demonic interface is just as likely as apneoa.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happened to me a few times. Did a sleep study and like half the posts in this topic it was sleep apnea.
    I now have a cpap machine. Hardest thing to get used to but now I sleep great.

BTW sleep studies can be done at home.
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sounds like sleep apnea.
  • lucysposaro
    lucysposaro Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your kind advice ill get it checked out and see what happens.
  • lucysposaro
    lucysposaro Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is that meant to be some sort or joke or what?
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That's happened to me twice. I went to the emergency room and it turned out to be acid reflux.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    sleep apnea or maybe a really bad dream? i don't have sleep apnea but every now and then i have a nightmare where i wake up like that.