Shopping

Options
So I get that I need to eat healthier and buy healthier things. My problem is that I am on a monthly budget and when it comes time to go grocery shopping, I go in without a plan and end up coming out with a ton of things that I really did not need. I am not sure how to write an effective grocery list or plan how often I need to go grocery shopping. I think if I knew how to more successfully buy healthy foods, then I would do better throughout the week because those foods would be what I have. Anyone care to share how they go about tackling grocery shopping?

Replies

• joshuamhort
    Options
    What I like to do is look at the sales ads for all the grocery stores around my area and see what is on sale where and compare prices and coupons. Then, I will find recipes online and see what ingredients they call for. For example, I can usually find a large pack of chicken breast for a few dollars, get a little bit of provolone cheese, a couple tomatoes, some garlic, maybe onion, Italian seasonings, and make a serving of whole grain pasta to go with it (quick, simple, chicken dish after blanching tomatoes and stewing them. You can do canned or jarred tomato sauce, but it usually has high amount of sodium.). That will last me at least 4 meals if I freeze left overs in individual containers. At least, it did when I was going to school. Now that I am home, it is becoming much more difficult to shop for everybody (4 people, including myself) while staying on a short budget but I am trying to follow the same general principals.

Hope this helps!
  • eddiedraz
    eddiedraz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I grocery shop online and have it delivered for a small fee. (MUCH easier than dragging a baby and a toddler round teh supermarket too!!!) That way you HAVE to plan what you will be eating and dont impulse buy that packet of chips or biscuits or choccies at the register!! and its actually easier to stick to a $ budget too.

Good luck!!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are interested in spending minor money but they have meal planning type services online that even give you a grocery list! It saved me some agony. Costs 12.50 every three months. Grocery shop is enjoyable now. :)