Elliptical workouts - HIIT maybe?

Options
So I've switched over from the treadmill to the elliptical, due to my right foot pain, possibly due to plantar, but undiagnosed.

Anyways, I happened to hear someone talk about 'HIIT' while using the elliptical, so I'm interested. Anyone care to elaborate for me? Also, any other elliptical tactics you use to get maximum heartrate, I'm all ears. I'm aware that the elliptical is pretty basic, and not as versatile as the treadmill, but it's worth a shot, right?

Thanks!

Replies

• robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump!

i'm interested to see the replies here because I love the elliptical but I just do whatever I feel like. :blushing:
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I do something like a HITT workout on my Treadclimder. For me (short women, pretty good condition) I get about 600 cal per hour burn. I have only done it once so far, and had to stop and starts trying to manage controls, as machine is new. I figure in a couple more trys I should have that under control, and get an even better burn, as I will be able to do the higher speeds more often.

Makes the workout go way faster, I sweat tons, get very high heartbeat through entire workout (vs a steady speed workout) and my heartbeat was still up for an hour after I was done. Also supposed to be better on joints then a continual steady speed workout.

Basically you are rotating between high and low speeds the entire workout.

For example, I start at 2 mph for probably about 5-7 min to warmup.
    Then bump to 2.5 mph for 1-3 min. then bump down to 2.0 for 3-7 minutes. then back up, but I keep going gradually higher on my speeds until I reach max of 4.5 mph (my machine max), for 1-5 min. You keep cycling up and down over and over.

The actual mph are based on what works for you, and your equipment ranges.

But a standard 30 min routine would be something like:

7 min - slow easy comfortable pace
    1 min - more challenging speed, about 50% faster
    7 min - slow easy comfortable pace
    1 min - more challenging speed, about 2x faster
    7 min- slow easy speed
    1 min- faster speed, 50% faster
    6 min - slow easy speed, cooldown

I am a fan. :)
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I do 20 mins alternating 1 min intervals.

1 min level 8 at 8kph
    1 min level 16 at 10-12kph

then repeat :)
  • Brandib1985
    Brandib1985 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it but I do resistance 8 for 1.20 miles and usually burn 500 calories. My resistance only goes up to 10 but the level 10 is as killer right now to me. I started at resistance one about a month ago and can already do 8
  • nellieboo628
    nellieboo628 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have joint issues so I'm sticking to the elliptical and the bike.

Last night, I tried this on the elliptical:

5 minute warm-up at comfortable resistance and pace (resistance 6)
    3 minutes at a resistance that is a little challenging but doable (8)
    Every 30 seconds increase by one resistance

I did this until my heart rate was near the top of my range (about 160)

Decrease resistance to base (8) and recover for 3 minutes
    Repeat

I made it all the way up to 18 (woohoo!)
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    There is a program on the elliptical at the gym I use. I burn around 420 calories in 40 minutes (5 of this is cooldown)

It's an interval program. 2 minutes at 5 incline and 1 resistance, then 2 minutes at 10 incline and 8 resistance, then 2 back at 5 and 1 and etc until the 35 is done. My heartrate goes around 155 during the easy 2 mins and 170 during the harder 2 mins.

Doing this for the whole 40 minutes get's be about 2.6-2.8 miles. Just in case you were wondering.
  • str0nger
    str0nger Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I dont know if its strictly elliptical...
    But I alternate strength training with using an elliptical, that ways its more of an interval workout
    It looks like this for my LEG day:

-10 minute elliptical (warm up Low resistance / Low Pace)
    12 minutes squatting
    -20 minute elliptical (Low resistance / moderate pace)
    12 minutes lunges
    -10 minute elliptical (Moderate resistance / Fast Pace )
    12 minute back extensions
    -5 minute elliptical (Highest Resistance / Fastest pace )
    12 minute leg lifts
    -15 minute elliptical (Low resistance (Moderate Resistance / Mod Pace)
    12 minutes Abdominals
    -10 minute elliptical (Highest Resistance / Highest Pace )

Total of 70 minutes elliptical and 60 minutes strength training.

During the strength training part of it, its meant to be at a decently FAST pace (short rests between sets) with High reps (10 to 15) with a weight that is manageable or something you can work up to (such as starting at 10 reps with something and working up to 15, then adding more weight). That way your heart rate stays going.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! Sorry I couldn't stick around to discuss, but I'll give these methods a shot on my next workout! :D