Healthy vs Unhealthy Sushi - What's Your Favorite Sushi Roll

Options
I don't know about you but I loooove me some sush! I would pretty much eat it every day for the rest of my life if I could afford it.

As someone who is conscious of my diet it's the one thing I don't feel too guilty about eating when I go out for dinner, but after doing a little bit of research I've become a little more conscious of which rolls to avoid sometimes. That being said I'll eat unagi and rainbow rolls till I die!

The Chubbiest Choices

1. Tempura rolls: Any tempura dish -- read deep-fried -- probably not the best idea. A shrimp tempura roll, for example, can deliver 500 calories and 20 grams of fat. Plus, breading and deep-frying boost the cholesterol, too.

2. Spicy tuna and other mayo-based rolls: Before you order, ask if the minced fish is mixed with mayonnaise. If so, that delicate roll may harbor as many as 450 calories and 11 grams of artery-clogging fat.

3. Philadelphia rolls: Unheard of in Japan, this salmon-and-avocado wonder is schmeared with something a sushi purist wouldn't even consider -- cream cheese. Calories for a roll start at 300 and rise, depending on how much cheese is used. A clue: Two tablespoons of cream cheese add 10 grams of fat (6 saturated), and some recipes use four times that amount.

4. Dragon rolls and pretty much anything else made with eel and/or toro: Just 1 ounce of raw eel has 3 grams fat, and toro -- sliced from the fatty belly of tuna -- packs a shocking 7 grams per ounce. Even though the fat is the heart-healthy omega-3 kind, all fat is still loaded with calories, and the trade-off here is too high.

The Skinniest Sushi

1. Assorted sashimi: Sashimi is sliced fish a la carte, and by omitting the rice that would make it sushi, you save 30 calories per piece. Plus, says Shimbo, eating an assortment of fish -- white, red, oily -- creates delicious synergies: You get the flavors and benefits of each. For instance, delicate white fish has fewer calories, while richer mackerel and salmon have more omega-3s.

2. Veggie rolls: Cucumber rolls and tangy pickled vegetable rolls are free of fat and provide a pleasantly crunchy contrast to the soft texture of fish sushi -- and at only about 150 calories a roll. For a vegetarian entree that packs heart-friendly fat as well as some iron and protein, try a shiitake, avocado, and pickled-ginger roll. That little sheet of seaweed that holds it all together? It gives you calcium, vitamins C and K, and folate.

3. Edamame (soybeans): Okay, okay, they're not sushi. But they're a staple at sushi bars and one of the healthiest menu choices you can make, brimming with fiber, folate, iron, and protein. Half a cup of steamed edamame has 127 calories and a whopping 11 grams of protein -- hence its nickname: "meat from the vegetable garden."

4. Tako (octopus) or ika (squid): Though high in cholesterol, both are even higher in protein, B vitamins, iron, selenium, and taurine, an amino acid that helps keep your arteries, heart, and eyes healthy -- for almost no fat and only 25 calories an ounce.

Also...
The 6 lowest calorie rolls...

1. Veggie
170 calories, 5g fat per roll

2. Mackerel
232 calories, 2g fat per roll

3. Rainbow
330 calories, 8g fat per roll

4. Salmon Cucumber
231 calories, 4g fat per roll

5. Sashimi
33 calories, 1g fat per piece

6. Shrimp
199 calories, 0g fat per roll

So there you have it. What are your favorite rolls??

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd rather enjoy my sushi than have the one with the lowest calories or fat. :smile: Gimme a dragon roll!
  • Elizabethhollmann
    Options
    I'd rather enjoy my sushi than have the one with the lowest calories or fat. :smile: Gimme a dragon roll!

I totally agree... Guess I'll move it to the guilty (but not really that guilty) pleasures category...
  • mlwilson01
    mlwilson01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump...going for sushi next wknd with the girlfriends..better keep this handy!!!! thanx!!!
  • 1Highlander
    Options
    I make my own sushi, it's to good to be a 'just for special occasions' thing. Also this way I know exactly what's in it (only my favorite stuff) and how many calories it has.
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I love sushi. This will be very helpful.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    I usually get 1 tuna, and 1 avi/cuc roll and a sonomono salad --- so good! Love that clear noodle-y vinegary goodness!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    spicytunaroll.jpg

You mean a spicy tuna roll like this would have mayonaise?
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    spicytunaroll.jpg

You mean a spicy tuna roll like this would have mayonaise?

yes, definitely.

I like to eat nigiri when I do sushi. I actually do not prefer all the crazy rolls with 7 or 8 things in them - do you even know what you are tasting when you eat those things? It gets all muddled. And the nigiri is less calories per piece than a roll because it has less rice.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    damn you!

now i have to go get sushi tonight.....................................
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Had Sushi last night. I has Sashimi and my wife had volcano roll and mexican roll.....all yummy!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Big plate of sashimi FTW :drinker:
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Bring on the fried rolls with delicious sauces on top! :drinker:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I find sushi scarily high in calories, even though I am vegetarian so only have the vegetable ones. I haven't had it in 6 months because I scared myself the last time eating a 900 cal lunch (at a time when I was on 1200 a day). I wasn't even full. My favourite is avocado, but they are really calorific.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the tempura, but haven't met a different kind of roll that I don't like. I don't ever worry about feeling guilty when eating sushi. I go all out on this stuff the few times a year I can get it.
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love anything in tempura!!!! If I am going out for sushi I eat whatever I want! Because I only do it every other month or so! =-)
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bring on the fried rolls with delicious sauces on top! :drinker:

Totally agreed!
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sashimi works for me just fine. How could it not? Only 33 cals per piece...
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sashimi works for me just fine. How could it not? Only 33 cals per piece...

oops...duplicate
  • I love california rolls & tuna rolls :-) The eel rolls are delish too! I just love sushi :-)
  • pereztech930
    pereztech930 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I can eat sushi everyday!

My favorite staple is the Cali Roll, that's what actually got me into eating raw fish.

Unhealthy fav roll: spider roll
    Fav healthy: salmon sashimi.

I don't know the names of most but I eat anything off the boat :bigsmile: